PDA

View Full Version : Lost

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

SamuraiJim
09-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi All

I'm looking for advice. I stopped training about 6 months ago. I didn't really make a decision to stop training I just haven't been back to the dojo since my last lesson.

I'd like to return because I enjoyed training but when I think about going back I become full of mixed emotions.

Largely I'm nervous about returning without notice or a valid reason for my absence. I feel almost ashamed. As a result of these feeling my motivation to go back is declining and I feel somewhat lost.

Suggestions and advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.
SamuraiJim:(

Bronson
09-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi JIm,

I went through something similar recently. I did go back and was met with warmth and kindness. I wasn't made to feel guilty, the folks at the dojo were just glad to see me back.

It's not much in the way of advice but I thought I'd share my experience.

Best,

Bronson

Aristeia
09-13-2007, 02:54 AM
This is very common - your dojo mates have seen it before and will see it again so will I'm sure be nothing but accepting and welcoming when you return. It's always great to see someone you thought you'd lost walk through the door. Most likely most of the seniors on the mat have been through a similar stint themselves. You don't need to have an "excuse" prepared - just get back on the mat.

SeiserL
09-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Very common, but seldom admitted and talked about.
Call your Sensei, tell them what you stated here, show up, suite up, shut up, and train.
Welcome back.

Josh Reyer
09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Ever hear of the prodigal son?

Larry Cuvin
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Just go back and train. Simple as that. Thank them for welcoming you back.

gregstec
09-13-2007, 10:35 AM
As most have already said, this common - just go and train if that is what you want to do; you will be accepted.

Best

Greg

crbateman
09-13-2007, 11:12 AM
You want to go back... This alone puts you head and shoulders above those who don't. I think you're worrying needlessly.

Karen Wolek
09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Just go back. That's all there is to it.

Dewey
09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
As everyone else has already said: just go back. You didn't burn any bridges and you weren't asked to leave. You just have to get over your own lingering embarrassment/shame/guilt/whatever. Just make sure your returning is because you want to. Most martial arts instructors understand that life often gets in the way of training, so don't worry about it too much. They'll most likely be glad to see you resume training.

lbb
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
As others have said, it's a common phenomenon for people to drift away without a real solid reason. If you just go back and resume training with a sincere attitude, I doubt that there will be an issue. The only place where I could see an issue in cases like this is if you're ambivalent about being there, and are expecting someone at the dojo to convince you. They won't try to, because they know that if you need to be sold, it probably won't work/last. On the flipside, you really don't need any great big significant reason or goal to be there. If you just want to train, that's really all that's needed.

Aikibu
09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
As a beginner it's easier to act your way in to right thinking than to think your way into right action...

Take your Body to Class... put a smile on your face.... and your worst fears will melt away...:)

William Hazen

We all take breaks from training. :)

SamuraiJim
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH, EVERYONE!!!

This showing of support is overwhelming. This has certainly reduced my concerns and I feel very confident that I can return to training once again.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Cheers
SamuraiJim

mathewjgano
09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi All

I'm looking for advice. I stopped training about 6 months ago. I didn't really make a decision to stop training I just haven't been back to the dojo since my last lesson.

I'd like to return because I enjoyed training but when I think about going back I become full of mixed emotions.

Largely I'm nervous about returning without notice or a valid reason for my absence. I feel almost ashamed. As a result of these feeling my motivation to go back is declining and I feel somewhat lost.

Suggestions and advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.
SamuraiJim:(

Jim,
I also know that feeling. If nothing else it's a good chance to face your own fears. If you want to train, do so and enjoy the experience!
Good luck!
Matt

eyrie
09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I agree. You need to get yourself off the island and find The Others. ;)

aikidoc
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
As pointed out life sometimes just gets in the way. Most of your dojo mates have seen this many times before. Sometimes people drop out for years and then just return.

heathererandolph
09-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I think once you are out for awhile you start to lose momentum, and it gets harder and harder to come back. I don't think you need to give anyone an explanation. I think everyone will be really glad to see you back. People don't leave and then return that often from what I've seen. Give it a shot!

nagoyajoe
09-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I agree with Heather. Just go back and I am sure you will be warmly welcomed. Good luck!

crbateman
09-13-2007, 11:12 PM
And don't forget to come back here, and let us know how it's going.