PDA

View Full Version : O-sensei quotes in the Original Japanese

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.

Steve Morabito
09-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm taking japanese caligraphy lessons with a japanese teacher for about seven months. I want her to begin to teach me to write and speak some of O-Sensei's quotes, poems, and writings, such as those found in the "Art of Peace" collection by Stevens. My teacher could certainly translate that book from english to Japanese, but I would rather have those words in the original Japanese as O-Sensei wrote them or spoke them. If I ordered that book (The Art of Peace) in the Japanese edition, would it be a Japanese translation of Steven's English translation of O-Sensei's words? Or would it be O-Sensei's original Japanese words (this is what I would ultimately like). I guess the all other publications by O-Sensei were written by him in Japanese, so I could get the original Japanese editions of those. But the question about the "Art of Peace" book remains.
Thanks in advance for your attempt at answering this strange question.
Steve

Chris Li
09-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm taking japanese caligraphy lessons with a japanese teacher for about seven months. I want her to begin to teach me to write and speak some of O-Sensei's quotes, poems, and writings, such as those found in the "Art of Peace" collection by Stevens. My teacher could certainly translate that book from english to Japanese, but I would rather have those words in the original Japanese as O-Sensei wrote them or spoke them. If I ordered that book (The Art of Peace) in the Japanese edition, would it be a Japanese translation of Steven's English translation of O-Sensei's words? Or would it be O-Sensei's original Japanese words (this is what I would ultimately like). I guess the all other publications by O-Sensei were written by him in Japanese, so I could get the original Japanese editions of those. But the question about the "Art of Peace" book remains.
Thanks in advance for your attempt at answering this strange question.
Steve

There is no Japanese edition of "The Art of Peace", as far as I know. That book is Stevens' collection of Morihei Ueshiba quotes from various places. You should be able to order Japanese editions of "Take Musu Aiki" or "Aikido Shinzui" online if you want original material. You can also try Googling in Japanese, there are plenty of Morihei Ueshiba quotes online if all you want is material for calligraphy.

Best,

Chris

Charles Hill
09-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi Steve,

Please take a look at the book, "The Essence of Aikido" by JOhn Stevens. It has a section of O'Sensei's poems written in Japanese, Japanese in roman letters, and in English translation. I think it is just what you are looking for. It also has a nice section of his calligraphy.

Charles

Steve Morabito
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Chris and Charles! I'm pursuing all of your suggestions; they are very helpful.

Steve