PDA

View Full Version : The power of weapons

Please visit our sponsor:

Michael Varin
09-07-2007, 05:08 PM
For those of you who are still confused about the differences between empty-hand fights and weapon fights, empty-hands never do this. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glv57eIHScE

Editor's note: this video contains very graphic footage of a man with multiple machete/sword wounds.

As you can see, covering your head doesn't help against a sword.

Do you think the same might be true for shooting for a double-leg, head locks, kicks, punches?

Can you see the necessity for a completely different set off techniques (techniques that often seem out of place when "tested" in one-on-one empty-handed fighting)?

The details are a little sketchy. Apparently he robbed a woman, who lost her baby as a result of the assault. Some said he broke into her house and the husband was acting in self-defense, others said the crime occurred on the street and the husband went to the robber's house for vengeance. The wounds were either inflicted by a machete or a 19th Century army sword.

ChrisHein
09-07-2007, 09:37 PM
As graphic and disturbing as that clip is to look at, I think it is important for people who fantasize about swords and samurai to look at.

I think it is equally important for people interested in practical fighting methods, and only look to unarmed martial arts, to see.

Dewey
09-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Yikes!

It does give one pause...

I'm about to pick up iaijutsu here shortly. Serves as a reminder as to the reality of what iaijutsu was about "back in the day."