PDA

View Full Version : Current poll

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Evza
12-02-2001, 11:19 AM
After looking at this week's poll, I started wondering... What does "equipped for self-defense" mean? I personaly voted 100% of my dojo members are because they all have at least legs to run away:-)
So, what do you think "equipped for self-defense" means?
Thanks
Evza

Arianah
12-02-2001, 12:06 PM
I think that it means that when faced with an attack, they would not seize up with emotion and be no longer able to defend themselves. For example, they won't freeze with fear, or become so angry that they become mentally clouded and try to fight against bad odds. Also the ability to gague when they should fight or run plays a role. Since my dojo is filled almost completely with beginners (3 months of training) I think that some of them would be so cocky about their "supreme Aikido skill" that they may be blinded and take on obstacles that they could not overcome, in essence, fighting when they should be running.

Arianah

Edward
12-02-2001, 12:15 PM
Aikido is a MA that requires years of diligent training before one could attain a level of efficiency in self-defense. Once this level attained, Aikido is superior to most MA. Unfortunately, not all of us will attain this level despite diligence and hard-working....