PDA

View Full Version : Islam vs. Islamists: Voices From the Muslim Center

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Ron Tisdale
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Did anyone see this show on PBS? I thought it was excellent, and that a show like this is long overdue.

A documentary about moderate Muslims in North America and Western Europe who, when they speak out against fundamentalist Muslims, meet resistance from others in their faith.

Best,
Ron

dragonteeth
08-21-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree with you Ron. Too often moderate voices get drowned out beneath the furor of fundamentalism, which isn't limited to just Islam (or even religion for that matter). The CNN show "God's Warriors" should be an interesting companion piece to the PBS version, but with a slightly different focus. The irony is that Islam in its truest form, like Christianity, is a religion of tolerance, peace and love, and a great match for the moral values aikido brings to us. Unfortunately, radicals on both sides have taken up the sword of jihad/crusade in the name of God but in service only to themselves, sadly coloring the public opinion of both religions for years to come.

Neil Mick
08-21-2007, 10:25 PM
The irony is that Islam in its truest form, like Christianity, is a religion of tolerance, peace and love, and a great match for the moral values aikido brings to us. Unfortunately, radicals on both sides have taken up the sword of jihad/crusade in the name of God but in service only to themselves, sadly coloring the public opinion of both religions for years to come.

Thank you for pointing this out, Lori. It seems as if you both summed up in two posts what I was trying to get across in the "President's Thought" forum. Kudos!

dps
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
The irony is that Islam in its truest form, like Christianity, is a religion of tolerance, peace and love, and a great match for the moral values aikido brings to us. Unfortunately, radicals on both sides have taken up the sword of jihad/crusade in the name of God but in service only to themselves, sadly coloring the public opinion of both religions for years to come.

Amen Lori.

David

David Orange
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Did anyone see this show on PBS? I thought it was excellent, and that a show like this is long overdue.

I caught just the last few minutes after I came in from watering my garden. Wish I'd known it would be on tonight.

In the part I saw, they told how a guy named Naser Khoder (???SP??) had been threatened by an extremist. He was frightened so badly that he had a heart attack.

When questioned about it, the extremist said, "I was just joking! It was a joke!"

It must have been misinterpreted by the Arabic speaker who had the heart attack! It was mistranslated--from Arabic to Arabic!!!

No doubt, this kind of intimidation works on most people.

I'll look for this to come on again and catch the whole show.

David

jennifer paige smith
08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Thank you for pointing this out, Lori. It seems as if you both summed up in two posts what I was trying to get across in the "President's Thought" forum. Kudos!

It's funny how that can happen. Having visited the same-said thread I found that you might have spent a lot of time in defense and difficult engagement with people rather than engaging from your heart independently. The dynamic is different on this thread; thank goodness.
(LOL. I've got the same problem at times; so this is intended as a sisterly observation in kindness).
thanks Lori, I agree with our friend neil that you summed it up.
thanks ron, for the great tip. Sorry I missed that one.

btw, and totally off subject, I'm sorry I won't be able to attend the seminar you are hosting in the Bay Area for Iraqi yudansha. I wish you the best of successes and I will be available for support at other events.

Ron Tisdale
08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
PBS repeats shows...check www.pbs.org for your local listings. It should be on again shortly.

Best,
Ron

jennifer paige smith
08-25-2007, 11:08 AM
PBS repeats shows...check www.pbs.org for your local listings. It should be on again shortly.

Best,
Ron

Domo Ariato Gozaimashita.