PDA

View Full Version : On again off again on again

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

mathewjgano
08-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey folks,
I recently returned to training after a bit of time away (again) and just really had a great time. It was interesting and a bit surreal in that it felt very much like old times though new at the same time. I'm curious about this on again off again aspect to training. Has anyone noticed anything particularly noteworthy when they go away for a while and come back again? While I know the basic idea is continuous training, have any of you ever gained a nice new perspective from stepping back and then reengaging training?
I used to train so intensely and then half-assed it for quite some time...i guess my heart wasn't as into it and I was distracted by other things going on, but coming back and training 'till my guts caught fire sure did feel good!
So...i guess I'm asking (a bit redundantly)...any interesting milestones along these lines? ...or not along these lines?
Hope you're all doing well.
Take care,
Matt

tarik
08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
So...i guess I'm asking (a bit redundantly)...any interesting milestones along these lines? ...or not along these lines?
Hope you're all doing well.
Take care,
Matt

I cannot say that I've ever done what you describe except when taking a trip with family and was unable to find a dojo to train in on that trip. So the longest I've ever been off the mat is perhaps a couple of weeks.

However, being a bit OCD, I have found that I make plenty of progress and discoveries about my training during these times and when returning. A lot of study can be done solo while visualizing a partner. It does not replace training with real partners, but is actually vital at various stages of practice.

Regards,

mathewjgano
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
A lot of study can be done solo while visualizing a partner. It does not replace training with real partners, but is actually vital at various stages of practice.

Regards,

Hi Tarik,
That's great how consistent your training has been! I certainly hold that as the highest ideal and with that in mind have regularly practiced in the way you describe above. I've found the visualization of a partner really helps me to consider how their whole body is moving, as opposed to fixating on the attacking part alone (which I tend to do). Still, as you say, it can't replace the feeling of what is happening with a partner on the mat. This last saturday when i trained i was noticing how less sensitive I was to the movements of my partner for just this reason.
Thanks for the reply!
Take care,
Matt

Mike Hamer
08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
I can whole heartedly relate to what your saying Matthew, sometimes it takes some time away from training to make you realize how much you really love it.