PDA

View Full Version : A pleasure to meet all of you!

Please visit our sponsor:

Boblyn Patton
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I began studying aikido three weeks ago at the Albuquerque Shin-Budo Kai dojo, and am completely hooked. I have wanted to participate in a form of martial arts for at least 11 years, but preventive circumstances intervened. Now that I'm realizing this long held ambition, I couldn't be happier and more excited at having chosen to take aikido. I look forward to the immense and beautiful lifelong journey this martial art offers, and am grateful for the opportunity to learn from this community.

All my senseis and sempai have welcomed me and treat me with patience, gentleness and respect, and I feel completely overwhelmed by this level of kindness. It has compounded my greatest concern at this time, which is to ensure that I always exhibit proper acts of rei, and that I am, for now, at the very least a considerate and adequate uke. I want them to know how much I appreciate them, and can think of nothing more terrible of me than to make a mistake in these matters. Please, if anyone is willing, it would be of great help to me to hear your personal insights and experiences regarding ukemi and rei.

Thank you so much for allowing my participation in this forum, and for any input you might give.

All the best to you!

Larry Cuvin
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Welcome to Aikiweb and good luck on your journey.

Boblyn Patton
08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
*bows* Thank you so much, Larry! :)

Lan Powers
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Welcome, friend
Lan

Ryan Sanford
08-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the Aikido community!
As for bowing, at my dojo, we bow when we enter the dojo, when we get on the mat, when we begin class, when we begin practice with a partner, when we trade places from uke & nage, and after we train.
As for ukemi, don't worry, because you're not expected to be amazing yet. Though, if in doubt, relax.
Hope that helps!