PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

RobPage
07-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Greetings,

I recently moved to the Oakland/Winter Garden/Clermont area of central Florida and am looking for an aikido dojo. Does any know of any in that area?

I am aware of others that are near the downtown section but I did not care for them.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Rob

MM
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
If you are looking as far as Orlando, I'd suggest Dennis Hooker's dojo. http://www.shindai.com/

I was very impressed with Hooker sensei, his teaching abilities, and his students.

Although the company he sometimes keeps, such as Clark and Amdur sensei, is questionable ... :) Okay, that's a slight attempt at humor. Seriously, though, it was Hooker sensei who hosted the last AikiWeb Seminar where Chuck Clark sensei and Ellis Amdur sensei taught. Don't know about anyone else, but if I knew of a school that not only had its own quality instructors (Hooker sensei and the ASU) but also brought in other quality instructors such as Clark and Amdur sensei ... I know where I'd want to learn.

Other than that, I don't personally know about the other schools/dojos.

Good luck in your search,
Mark

RobPage
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Thank you Mark. I have much respect for Hooker Sensei but for whatever reason, I do not "connect" to his method of teaching. He is a great practitioner and teacher, but not a great teacher for me.

Any other ideas??

Thank you and much appreciated.

Larry Feldman
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
First check the Dojo Search engine on this site.

As a former Ki Society person I would go see Kodokai of Orlando, but i do not have any personal experience with them.

Sounds like you have a good idea of how you learn best or what method would appeal to you, so I would 'go see' all that were in driving distance.