PDA

View Full Version : Marquette Michigan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dalen7
07-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey, anyone who trains in Aikido from Marquette Michigan?
I saw a link on the dojo search for an aikido club there - but alas the link does not work.
http://www.aikido-marquette.com/

(of course, Im in another country, but I have relatives around Marquette and I thought I would take a look at what is available in their area.)

Peace

Dalen

Dieter Haffner
07-24-2007, 02:37 AM
May I suggest you use the dojo search service on this website.
http://www.aikiweb.com/search/
I did a search for Marquette and it returned one dojo with some additional information.

dalen7
07-24-2007, 02:53 AM
May I suggest you use the dojo search service on this website.
http://www.aikiweb.com/search/
I did a search for Marquette and it returned one dojo with some additional information.

Thanks Dieter, but if you noticed in my post - I did the search here at Aikiweb. - and the link to the webpage does not work.

Yes, I saw the info listed alongside the club (hours, etc) - quite short of what I was anticipating from actually going to the web page. ;)

- so I was actually hoping someone from that club would have info as to if there is a new link...if the website will be up again, and if so when, or if they just hung up the towel - all moved away and said no more aikido. :)

Peace

dalen

Mike Hamer
07-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey Dalen,

Im from Michigan and my dojo is in Mt. Pleasant, not sure how close it is to Marquette though.

http://www.shinki-aikido.com/

hope I could be of some help

Just Jamey
07-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I found a phone number for the dojo. It seems as though available information is at least one year old or better. Possible they had to close shop???

Name: Hokuryukan Dojo/The Aikido Center of Marquette
Address : 181 West Bluff Street, 2nd Floor
City: Marquette
State: MI
Zip Code: 49855
Phone: (906)225-1266
E Mail: info@aikido-marquette.com
Web Page: http://www.aikido-marquette.com (which of course is a dead link....)

dalen7
07-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Mike, & Jamey, thanks for the contributions to this post...just stopped by and saw there were more responses.

Peace

Dalen

Ron Tisdale
07-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Just guessing from the name and location, this may have been an outlyer from one of Kushida Sensei's students. They have a lot of places to train in Michigan. You may want to check the branch dojo at this site:

http://www.aikidoyoshokai.org/

They have a page listing all of their active sites throughout the state.

Best,
Ron (good stuff too, off shoot of yoshinkan...really fantastic head instructor)
((full disclosure, Kushida Sensei was a major teacher of my instructor)) ;)

dalen7
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Just guessing from the name and location, this may have been an outlyer from one of Kushida Sensei's students. They have a lot of places to train in Michigan. You may want to check the branch dojo at this site:

http://www.aikidoyoshokai.org/

They have a page listing all of their active sites throughout the state.

Best,
Ron (good stuff too, off shoot of yoshinkan...really fantastic head instructor)
((full disclosure, Kushida Sensei was a major teacher of my instructor)) ;)

Once again, appreciate the info.
Im about to take a peak into the link you have.

Thanks

Dalen

Yo-Jimbo
07-26-2007, 11:57 AM
You are always welcome to train with us up in Houghton, MI. We are on the Michigan Tech campus, which is 90 min. away, but there is already a local of Marquette that comes up to train with us occasionally. He usually comes to train the Friday evening class, stays with friends, and trains in the morning Saturday. I'm sure someone would put you up if you wanted to do the same (you could alternate on the car pool too).

Not as convenient as something in Marquette, but a bit better than Mt. Pleasant (no offence trolls).

dalen7
07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
You are always welcome to train with us up in Houghton, MI. We are on the Michigan Tech campus, which is 90 min. away, but there is already a local of Marquette that comes up to train with us occasionally. He usually comes to train the Friday evening class, stays with friends, and trains in the morning Saturday. I'm sure someone would put you up if you wanted to do the same (you could alternate on the car pool too).

Not as convenient as something in Marquette, but a bit better than Mt. Pleasant (no offence trolls).

James, thanks for the invite to train in your dojo.

Peace

Dalen

Bronson
07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
...but a bit better than Mt. Pleasant (no offence trolls).

For those not from Michigan: a "troll" is a Michigan citizen who lives in the lower peninsula (because we live under the Mackinac Bridge). You'll have to excuse da yooper (Michigan citizen from the upper peninsula, or u.p.) for not explaining; his judgment is likely impaired by all the home-made hooch and snowmobile exhaust fumes ;) :D

Bronson

dalen7
07-26-2007, 11:59 PM
For those not from Michigan: a "troll" is a Michigan citizen who lives in the lower peninsula (because we live under the Mackinac Bridge). You'll have to excuse da yooper (Michigan citizen from the upper peninsula, or u.p.) for not explaining; his judgment is likely impaired by all the home-made hooch and snowmobile exhaust fumes ;) :D

Bronson

thanks for explaining...didnt quite see how a 'troll' fit into the post, but now it makes perfect sense.

Peace

Dalen

Paul D. Smith
07-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Hello all,

I'm Paul Smith, the founder of Hokuryukan Dojo/The Aikido Center of Marquette. I regret that we did indeed shutter the dojo in February of this year and I am now back in Chicago. Apologies for the bad link.

I haven't trained with the folks at Michigan Tech but have had some good conversations with their Chief Instructor. I know they have been around for quite some time and from all reports are a great group. I also heartily recommend Mark Valenti. Mark used to train with us on a regular basis, and graciously guest instructed at Hokuryukan on a few occasions. My students very much appreciated his teaching. I believe Valenti Sensei also trains with the Michigan Tech folks.

Good luck on your search.

P.S.: Just a clarification, as someone wondered whether the dojo was a satellite of Kushida Sensei's organization. The name Hokuryukan ("Training Hall of the Northern Dragon") was a name given by Meido Moore Sensei, on our formal affiliation with his organization. Beyond this, our training there was due to others, and I wish to bow in respect to those who taught me: my Teacher Toyoda Shihan, from whom I was given the blessing to teach; to Moore Sensei, Andrew Sato Sensei and David Miller Roshi; and to Chiba Shihan, from whom I have learned on spare but deeply transforming occasions.

dalen7
07-27-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm Paul Smith, the founder of Hokuryukan Dojo/The Aikido Center of Marquette. I regret that we did indeed shutter the dojo in February of this year and I am now back in Chicago. Apologies for the bad link.

Thanks for the update Paul - best to you in Chicago!

Peace

Dalen

aikidoc
07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Bronson, guess I've been out of Michigan for too long (from Dowagiac). I guess I was of the troll category- at least one time over the Mackinac Bridge. Miss the state and hope to move back someday.