PDA

View Full Version : Starting Monday

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Simon Bracegirdle
07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi All

Starting at Sensei Ellis's dojo in Bracknell tomorrow-first lesson,anything I should know about?-apart from "keep my mouth shut and try not to look too lost":D

Jonshez
07-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Don't worry about looking lost, wait if your dojo do 'happo undo' as part of your warm up, that still gets me lost!
My tips, accept that you are there to learn and no one expects you to know anything, be respectful (if in doubt - bow), if everyone else bows - bow, relax and enjoy yourself.

Good luck!

Jon

Dewey
07-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi All

Starting at Sensei Ellis's dojo in Bracknell tomorrow-first lesson,anything I should know about?-apart from "keep my mouth shut and try not to look too lost":D

I heard he's "top shelf." You'll be learning from one of the best. My advice: try to be patient with yourself. It's often said that Aikido is one of the most difficult arts to learn. However, it can be just as rewarding as frustrating!

Angela Dunn
07-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I guess you have had your first lesson by now but I shall throw in my own opinion anyways, it may be useful to a begainer looking at this thread later on. In other words things I wish I had known before my first lesson

Bow when everyone else does, tap out when it hurts (and it will!) the person taking the class should be called Sensei untill you get told otherwise , do not try to go on the mat with shoes/socks on (big no no!) , ask if you need help after all thats what people are there for and above all enjoy the experiance.

Ryan Sanford
07-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Here's a tip for you... don't eat anything heavy before class.
On my second day of training I ate some especially spicy enchiladas before I went to class. Combine that with my totally clumsy beginner rolls, and you have a recipe for disaster. :uch:

mwible
07-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Here's a tip for you... don't eat anything heavy before class.
On my second day of training I ate some especially spicy enchiladas before I went to class. Combine that with my totally clumsy beginner rolls, and you have a recipe for disaster. :uch:

haha!! i know what you mean ryan!! thats why i never eat before class anymore!! :P

justin
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
no doubt your in the bath trying to stop your muscles aching, all jokes aside hope it went well

Jonshez
07-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Yep, I hope so too!
Let us know how you got on Simon.

Jon

Simon Bracegirdle
07-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi All

Fantastic training yesterday:D ,it's a very small class-all the non black belts had a dan grade each to train with:eek:
It was humbling being on the same mat as Sensei Ellis and Sensei Eastman but a great opportunity as well
it does look like a class that grade very often-one of the guy's said they had'nt grade anybody for 4 years-not that it matters much to me-I just want to learn
well guy's looks like I'm hooked:D :D :D

Ryan Sanford
07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi All

Fantastic training yesterday:D ,it's a very small class-all the non black belts had a dan grade each to train with:eek:
It was humbling being on the same mat as Sensei Ellis and Sensei Eastman but a great opportunity as well
it does look like a class that grade very often-one of the guy's said they had'nt grade anybody for 4 years-not that it matters much to me-I just want to learn
well guy's looks like I'm hooked:D :D :D

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that it went well! I'm a little jealous that you got to train with a dan grade so much, hehe. :p

David Humm
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I've known Henry Ellis Sensei for several years and without blowing hot air up his hakama, I consider him to be both a true gentleman and one of only a handful of keepers of the heritage of British Aikido.

Considered by some to be controversial in his opinions on one or two aspects of our art but, hes always genuine and honest, you couldn't want for a better teacher.