PDA

View Full Version : Aikido Practice Away from the Dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

mwible
07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
im out of town for the next 2 weeks, so i am also unable to train for the next 2 weeks!!! which is quite unfortunate. but. i just wanted to start a thread asking what everyone does to practice aikido away from the dojo? like, is there anything in particular you like to do to train (other than taiso) away from the dojo? particularly if its just you and you dont have any other aikidoka to train with? just thought id see what i could turn up :)

in aiki

-morgan

CNYMike
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
im out of town for the next 2 weeks, so i am also unable to train for the next 2 weeks!!! which is quite unfortunate. but. i just wanted to start a thread asking what everyone does to practice aikido away from the dojo? like, is there anything in particular you like to do to train (other than taiso) away from the dojo? particularly if its just you and you dont have any other aikidoka to train with? just thought id see what i could turn up :)

in aiki

-morgan

Some of the footwork drills, ie with irimi tenkan and so forth. I also play with my jo and boken. Helps if you have a high ceiling, though.

Budd
07-13-2007, 10:44 AM

in aiki

-morgan

There are worse things than spending 2 weeks JUST doing taiso and bokken suburi.

mwible
07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
ok, well, since i didnt bring my jo or my bokken with me i guess ill just work on my taiso, haha.

thanks for the replys!!

crbateman
07-14-2007, 04:55 AM
I don't know where you are for this two weeks, Morgan, but you might consider visiting a dojo where you are staying. It often is refreshing to experience a contrasting perspective, and most Aikido dojos are very accommodating of traveling students. Some of the finest people I know have been met this way.

Mary Eastland
07-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Ki exercises.... every morning no matter where you are.
Mary

Mark Uttech
07-14-2007, 06:22 AM
the practice of mindfulness, simply being aware of your breathing, is also aikido off the mat.

In gassho,

Mark

Tijani1150
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I suggest Kihon Dosa regardless of the style you practise I found it very handy in my Aikikai practise specialy when a new technique is introduced.

Amir Krause
07-14-2007, 01:17 PM
In some cases a vacation from Aikido could also be considered a great practice. Rest is important to all training processes.

Aside from that, the circumstances may dictate your abilities to train. Personaly, I often found myself practicing Tai-Sabaki, but I only did it when I felt a need from within, otherwise, I prefer to let my mind rest.

Amir

mwible
07-15-2007, 11:57 AM
again, thank you all for your suggestions. and i would LOVE to go visit another aikido dojo over here, except i havent found any that are relatively close, and im staying with family so i dont know how polite that would be to them :/

-morgan

gi_james
07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
again, thank you all for your suggestions. and i would LOVE to go visit another aikido dojo over here, except i havent found any that are relatively close, and im staying with family so i dont know how polite that would be to them :/

-morgan

Morgan,

Thanks for posting this thread, I was thinking the same thing. I recently started, and I need more practice than 3 times per week, but I need to know how I can practice alone.

-James
Misawa AB, Japan
www.strickstuff.com
http://strickstuff.com/Aikido.png

mwible
07-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Morgan,

Thanks for posting this thread, I was thinking the same thing. I recently started, and I need more practice than 3 times per week, but I need to know how I can practice alone.

-James
Misawa AB, Japan
www.strickstuff.com
http://strickstuff.com/Aikido.png

james you are lucky to be able to practice 3 times a week! my dojo is only open tuesday's and thursday's! we do usually have atleast a 2 hour class, but still. i wish i could go 3 days a week :P