PDA

View Full Version : Aikido vs. Holduppers

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

villrg0a
06-27-2007, 04:47 AM
3 gangs foiled by an aikido practitioner in Manila, Philippines.

http://www.gmanews.tv/video/8361/Aikido-blackbelter-foils-3-holdup-men (http://www.gmanews.tv/video/8361/Aikido-blackbelter-foils-3-holdup-men)

charyuop
06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Only word I understood was Aikido hee hee.
Anyway this was a good evidence that Randori can work if you know how to direct your focus.

Nafis Zahir
06-27-2007, 07:54 AM
And to think of all those posters who said that Aikido would not work in a "real" fight.

Qatana
06-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Jun, how about that video forum I keep asking for?

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
06-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I was surprised that they were showing the suspects on camera...even apparently asking them questions about what happened.

As for the "real life aikido" thing -- only anecdotally, not scientifically.

Drew Mailman
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I wish we could have seen the actual fight. :D

Though it was funny to see the three guys looking very, very sad. :)

Larry Cuvin
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's a short translation:
The aikidoka and his girlfriend got surrounded by the three guys while walking the night before. The girlfriend during the interview claimed that the guy in white shirt had a butterfly knife, while the guy in green held her. Nothing was mentioned about the other guy but my guess is he was with the aikidoka and got the first friendly kiss from the ground. when they interviewed the aikidoka (ball cap covering his face), he did not go into detail on how or what he did to the crooks. The crooks during the interview claimed innocence of course.

charyuop
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow they had a knife. That makes me appreciate more the fact that none of the gang members had no visible injury. That is the perfect example of Aiki...probably 3 Vs 1 and a knife I would have aimed more to break a few bones to save me and my girlfriend.
(But of course at my level I would have just gotten stabbed several times hee hee).

Drew Mailman
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Here's a short translation:
The aikidoka and his girlfriend got surrounded by the three guys while walking the night before. The girlfriend during the interview claimed that the guy in white shirt had a butterfly knife, while the guy in green held her. Nothing was mentioned about the other guy but my guess is he was with the aikidoka and got the first friendly kiss from the ground. when they interviewed the aikidoka (ball cap covering his face), he did not go into detail on how or what he did to the crooks. The crooks during the interview claimed innocence of course.

Thank you for the translation. Fun stuff. :D

Nafis Zahir
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I was surprised that they were showing the suspects on camera...even apparently asking them questions about what happened.

As for the "real life aikido" thing -- only anecdotally, not scientifically.

Meaning what?

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Meaning what?

"A friend of mine who used to smoke a lot got lung cancer. You shouldn't smoke."

vs.

"A large-n study correcting for confounding variables finds that smokers have ten times the risk of non-smokers of developing lung cancer."

Another example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37NOUTOoPg
"This video shows a spinning kick to the head knocking someone senseless. Therefore, this kind of kick is a good attack to use if you want to knock someone out."

vs.

"The majority of knockouts in professional kickboxing are due to punches to the head, according to a large-n study of past matches. Contestants who attempt a jumping spin kick are usually defeated, and consequently few competitors employ such kicks."

I'm just pointing out the superiority of repeatable, verifiable experiments relative to second-hand anecdotes. You can find stories of people allegedly fending off attackers in all kinds of ways. Like putting an RNC on a bobcat, or using kung fu against five guys with baseball bats. A story with a (hyped up, trying-to-sell-papers) news article attached is just slightly more compelling than "This story my friend heard once."

But sure, it's an interesting story.

Dieter Haffner
06-28-2007, 02:15 AM
I would like to share this video about ... well, not really aikido vs holduppers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYLCP0JeIU
Enjoy.

Drew Mailman
06-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I would like to share this video about ... well, not really aikido vs holduppers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYLCP0JeIU
Enjoy.

I miss those. I wish they'd do more of them. :p

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Seagal is a twit from what I've heard, but I like the commercial.

Roman Kremianski
06-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Great, now everytime another "Aikido on the street" thread comes up, people are gonna be linking this article.

Props and respect to the guy for getting himself and his lady out of the situation. But no video, no explanation of what he did? For all we know he pulled out his own butterfly knife and waved it around at the dudes. Hehe. :)

Beard of Chuck Norris
06-28-2007, 11:16 AM
From what i've heard pretty much everyone in the Phillipines carries a blade; it's their culture.

Roman Kremianski
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Problem solved then!

The holduppers probably got aikistabbed.

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
06-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Problem solved then!

The holduppers probably got aikistabbed.

Like the Shioda-sensei "broken bottle in the face" technique. The broken bottle joined completely with the attacker, using their own momentum.

Beard of Chuck Norris
06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Like the Shioda-sensei "broken bottle in the face" technique. The broken bottle joined completely with the attacker, using their own momentum.

Just read "angry white pyjamas" by any chance? :D

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
06-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Just read "angry white pyjamas" by any chance? :D

Actually, no...just remember hearing it somewhere. :) I think it may have been in that series on AikidoJournal about Shioda's life. (Wacky series, that.)

I took a look at that book...and the negative things I'd heard were pretty well-substantiated. Shioda-sensei says, "Hm, let's see how much aikido we can slam into you in a year of insanely hard training...anyone want to be a guinea pig?" and this guy says, "Sure!" Then he WHINES INCESSANTLY ABOUT HOW HARD IT WAS. What did you expect, genius?

The worst I saw while flipping through was the section about how happy he was when Shioda died, because it meant they got some time off training.

CitoMaramba
06-28-2007, 12:12 PM
From what i've heard pretty much everyone in the Phillipines carries a blade; it's their culture.

And who told you that? Someone who actually lived there?

As someone who was born and bred there, I think I'm qualified to comment.

I think the knife carrying proportion of the population in urban areas of the Philippines is no larger than in most other countries of the world.
In the rural areas, adults regularly carry blades (machetes or bolos) as part of their work as farmers.

The image of fhe Philippines as a "knife bearing culture" is vastly exaggerated, I think.

All the best,

Cito

Bronson
06-28-2007, 12:27 PM

Yes that is indeed true, just like in the U.S. everybody wears body armor and carries an M-16 (a friend of mine doing a semester of foreign study in Malaysia was actually asked if that was true) ;) :p

Bronson

CitoMaramba
06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes that is indeed true, just like in the U.S. everybody wears body armor and carries an M-16 (a friend of mine doing a semester of foreign study in Malaysia was actually asked if that was true) ;) :p

Bronson

And just like in Scotland, everyone wears a kilt and carries a claymore :)

Sorry, Jo, couldn't resist!

Cito

Lan Powers
06-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Howdy from Texas, where the sixguns are riding low on our hips and the cattle are in every persons spread, y'all.

Dont'cha love the typecasting?
Lan

Jim ashby
06-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Well, I'm not sure what happens in the colonies but I'm never seen without my pinstripe suit, bowler hat and furled umbrella.

Beard of Chuck Norris
06-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Piss-taking over-sensitive swines!

I heard from a practitioner of kali / silat who in turn heard it from Dan Inosanto (and a lot of other people).

I never said "everyone" or "everybody" i said "pretty much everyone" as it was what i was lead to believe. If you have evidence to the contrary feel free to state it in a matter-of-fact way rather than making me feel like a bell-end for trying to contribute.

Lots of people wear kilts here but they are in the minority, no claymores though.

Peace and love

Jo

CitoMaramba
06-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Ok, now that we're done with belaboring the typecasting (i started it, apologies for the thread drift), let's get back to the video clip..
After watching it several times, the sequence of events seems to be as follows:
At around 9 PM, the three alleged muggers confront the aikidoist and his girlfriend.. according to the girl, one points a balisong (butterfly knife at her), another holds her and tries to cover her mouth, and the third grabs her bag.
The aikidoist is able to defend himself. His only comment on what he did is that he was able to evade the punches of the muggers. Apparently he did get tagged as the camera does a close up of the area behind his left ear, which appears to have some sort of bruise.
The girlfriend was able to alert the police who rounded up the alleged muggers. The alleged muggers were also identified as being responsible for a series of previous muggings.
In their defense, the suspects claimed they were new to the area and not criminals and that the aikidoist thought they were going to do something to his girlfriend that's why he became agressive.

SInce there are no visible knife wounds on the suspects, it seems the aikidoist did not employ a blade.

Its been a while since I saw Mike Enriquez (the presenter).. I'd forgotten how annoying his voice is..

xuzen
06-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Bronson

I live in M'sia. All this while I assume I could get a Guess(TM) branded body armour from the high street retailer in the USA. I also thought of getting a PIMPED-UP M16 in my next trip to the USA.

As for us more civilized M'sia, we wear a Boiler Hat that is bullet proof and carry a diamond tipped Brolly (Umbrella) which is also STAB-PROFF (TM). P22 Walters in mandatory in any gentlement's paraphernalia. And we must have our Martini shaken not stirred...There, M'sia Geography 101.

Boon

skinnymonkey
06-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Someone sent me this link and I'd love to know the story (beyond the headline). Is there someone out here on AikiWeb who could translate?

http://www.gmanews.tv/video/8361/Aikido-blackbelter-foils-3-holdup-men

Thanks!

Jeff D.
http://www.usaikido.com

villrg0a
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Try this --> http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=182210#post182210

skinnymonkey
07-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I apologize that I missed this. Thanks for the tip!

Jeff D.