PDA

View Full Version : BJJ Purple Belt Exam

Please visit our sponsor:

Roy Dean
06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Thought you would enjoy the circularity and flow of my first purple belt promotion in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Jimmy DaSilva did an excellent job demonstrating the positional escapes, submissions, and combinations required in the technical portion of the test. He also showed quite a bit of heart during the rolling sessions, which included 2 blue belts and 2 black belts.

It can be seen here:

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/video/purple_belt_examination

and on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo5lmQsWT5M

Best,

Roy Dean

www.jujutsujournal.com

www.roydeanacademy.com

grondahl
06-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Excellent video as always.

Bronson
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
That was great. A real joy to watch.

Bronson

DonMagee
06-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Nice video, makes me wish my instructor would do tests like that. It looked like it instilled a great sense of worth.

ChrisHein
06-15-2007, 09:45 AM
You have a very good student there Roy...He must have a good teacher! Good job!

Stephen Kotev
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Excellent video.

I have always wondered why Bjj players have so many patches on their dogi? Anyone?

Cheers,
Stephen

Budd
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
It's the rarely talked about, deep-seated envy that BJJ has always held for NASCAR . . . Not many know this, but "pulling guard" was once a driving term . . .

Beard of Chuck Norris
06-17-2007, 10:04 AM
See the take-down at 1.14.... OUCH! Right on the botty!
:eek:

dalen7
07-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Roy I have watched some of the videos on your site - as well as noticed that your school only teaches BJJ. Since you were into Aikido, does this at all imply that you feel BJJ is more efficient than Aikido - integrates with Aikido - or something else?

Curious your thoughts on this seeing that you have a shodan in Aikido as well as teaching BJJ.

Peace

dAlen

Roy Dean
07-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Dalen,

Currently, I only teach BJJ. The aikido I've trained in has significantly affected the way I grapple to create a very smooth and flowing style.

I think Aikido and BJJ are perfect compliments to each other. One teaches you how to move and redirect energies in a vertical plane, the other covers the horizontal.

I do not believe BJJ is any more efficient than Aikido, but I do think the randori training method they employ gives BJJ some real teeth in actual application.

The thing that impressed me the most about BJJ was that smaller men could consistently beat larger and less skilled men in a reproducible fashion. Not just talking about it. Not assuming you can. Not relying on anecdotes about someone who could. They just did it. I wanted to be able to do that as well, and I'm passing that skillset on to others.

Roy

dalen7
07-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Dalen,

The thing that impressed me the most about BJJ was that smaller men could consistently beat larger and less skilled men in a reproducible fashion. Not just talking about it. Not assuming you can. Not relying on anecdotes about someone who could. They just did it. I wanted to be able to do that as well, and I'm passing that skillset on to others.

Roy

Thanks for your response...I definitely am more interested in BJJ the more I hear - crazy with all the 'arts' in my small city (quite a few) there is no BJJ...only in Budapest which is a good 3 hours away.

I think I see where your coming from about the talk of someone smaller taking someone bigger. It seems like a nice concept, aikdio and wing chun both say that someone smaller, like a woman can take someone larger that is not skilled. Could be...but at the same time I havent watched enough to know.

Peace

Dalen

Drew Mailman
07-21-2007, 05:16 PM
It was fun to watch him wrestle the big dude. Now I kinda know how some of the other students at my school feel when they have to work with me. :D