PDA

View Full Version : Oyo Henka

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Mato-san
06-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Is this not the best film you have ever seen in the Aikido world?

I showed Sensei this film and he has shown so much drive as a Sensei here after... Not to put down his style before hand..
.he has been in the game a long time and uchideshi of Tohei Sensei for a long while but after this simple input in DVD form(even in English that he does not fully understand)....the format has molded to his lesson plan...I notice he still likes to keep it his own touch but...in this way "today we study Katatetori...all lesson many variations,applications etc... 20 minutes before class has ended we do freestyle application Katatetori Oyo henka style, futari sometimes san nin...yon nin etc...never more than 4. Not sure how long we will keep this lesson plan but I am lovin it for now!

Oyo henka ..what a gift... Do you agree that this is a magic DVD?

crbateman
06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Saotome Sensei definitely hit the mark with this video. I watch and enjoy it regularly.

Don_Modesto
06-09-2007, 02:28 PM
....he has been in the game a long time and uchideshi of Tohei Sensei for a long while....Waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one.

:)

crbateman
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one.

:)Cheeky monkey...:D

George S. Ledyard
06-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one.

:)Feel free by all means to drop the aforementioned shoe. I am trying to be good at the moment. Do you have any idea what would happen to someone who said this in Sensei's presence? I mean I was there when a visitor innocently referred to George Leonard as an "Aikido Master". That occasioned a 45 minute tirade about what a master was and was not. It definitely was not a guy who was, I think, a nidan at the time and had started Aikido at around fifty.

Can you imagine him hearing this one? I wouldn't even want to contemplate... If you are really lucky, sometimes you can see these coming and can head them off. But other times they pop up without any warning and you just sit there with a sinking feeling going "Oh no, he didn't just say that..."

Ok; I'll do it.

Mato-san, under no circumstances should you EVER refer to Saotome Sensei as a deshi of Tohei Sensei. Frankly, it isn't really accurate, even if one is talking about his technical influences... Sensei's Aikido owes a lot more to Yamaguchi and Osawa Senseis. And in terms of who he perceives as his Teacher, it was absolutely O-Sensei, period. This is not an area which carries no emotional load.

grondahl
06-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok, Im not a native speaker or reader of english but I got the impression that Mato-san were refereing to his own teacher (the one who changed his lessons after watching the dvd) as a former uchi deshi of Tohei.

George S. Ledyard
06-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Ok, Im not a native speaker or reader of english but I got the impression that Mato-san were refereing to his own teacher (the one who changed his lessons after watching the dvd) as a former uchi deshi of Tohei.
You know, I think you are right. I AM a native English speaker and the sentences were a bit convoluted but I think you are right. Falling back on sentence diagramming skills from 7th grade I would say that I initially misread the statement. I think I read too much into it because of all the discussions about how the uchi deshi were really students of Kisshomaru U. and Tohei rather than really being deshi of O-Sensei. Thanks for the clarification.

MM
06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I'm a native American English speaker and I got confused by the structure of the post, too. As with Ledyard sensei, upon rereading, I can see where Mato san could be referencing his own sensei.

Mark

Don_Modesto
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Well, I'm a native American English speaker and I got confused by the structure of the post, too. As with Ledyard sensei, upon rereading, I can see where Mato san could be referencing his own sensei.

MarkYeah.

Punctuation helps, too.

The responder said the poster was wrong.

"The responder," said the poster, "was wrong."

Sorry for my part in the confusion.

Peter Goldsbury
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I read the first post and was thoroughly confused. The thread is headed Oyo-henka and Matthew refers to a certain DVD, which I have neither heard of nor seen.

Then a discussion takes place about shoes dropping and a certain Japanese shihan named Saotome ...

Too many things are being assumed here.

George S. Ledyard
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, I read the first post and was thoroughly confused. The thread is headed Oyo-henka and Matthew refers to a certain DVD, which I have neither heard of nor seen.

Then a discussion takes place about shoes dropping and a certain Japanese shihan named Saotome ...

Too many things are being assumed here.
Yes, if I didn't own the DVD and already knew it was Saotome Sensei that had made it, it would have been almost completely murky.

Dirk Hanss
06-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Yes, I thought,it should be this one.
http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=214&cat=22&date=1074883512

HTH

Dirk

Mato-san
06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes I enjoy it regulary also Clark , often with a few beers on my night off...can you tell?

Sorry guys, the planet I come from has Aikido also...thanks Peter from Stockholm for a good display of harmony and respect toward your Aikido peers, regardless of the planet, punctuation, grammar etc.... You seem to embrace and understand what I was saying, bad grammar and all.
Great flick anyhow..check it out!