PDA

View Full Version : No thought

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Esaemann
06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
At Bagua a couple nights ago, we were doing practical applications. The instructor calls out a form name while we are walking and he attacks in a way that the form will work for that attack. Attacker does a punch from the side, defender does a mid/high block and low strike to the groin followed up by hand behind attackers neck and locking the shoulder with the other (closest Aikido technique would be kaiten nage). The first part (block) went well, then it all went to hell. I can't explain but I wasn't thinking and I ended up putting sankyo on him. We both cracked up, as he knows I practice Aikido. Wow, did it feel good.

When I told Sensei, he said that is what he's hoping we will experience in a seminar he's doing.

This seems like an ideal occurence for Aikido. Its probably easier to experience outside dojo practice, as you're not thinking about techniques.

Tatsukage
06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I would definately have to agree. While in the dojo, your mind is so focused on the techniques and getting it right, whereas in an outside situation muscle memory "takes control", and it naturally flows, as I believe Aikido was intended. I've experienced the same situations before. Here recently I was in a BJJ class, since a friend gave me the invitation. Well, as one of their members came in for the clinch, it was as simple as aigamaeate, and he was down. I don't know exactly why, but my body naturally reacted.

Esaemann
06-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for sharing, Donovan.

antonis paps
06-08-2007, 09:57 PM
nice thread

Absence of thought, is
absolute concentration.

Action(movement) perceives
reaction(brain)

Aikibu
06-08-2007, 11:29 PM
nice thread

Absence of thought, is
absolute concentration.

Action(movement) perceives
reaction(brain)

MU!!!

See my post in the fear thread for further explaination. :)

William Hazen