PDA

View Full Version : Bujin Hakamas

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Millerwc
06-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Hello all,

I am testing for the rank at which we're expected to begin wearing a hakama within the next month, and fortutiously my birthday is just a couple days after my test, so my parents have offered to get me a hakama. Most people have recommended Bujin designs, but I was wondering people's opinions about them, especially about their different aiki-koshita style hakamas, does anyone have any experience with them? Also, any other general advice about buying a hakama would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nafis Zahir
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Tozando.com - a little costly with S & H, but excellent quality.

Steven
06-04-2007, 09:00 AM
I have the traditional and aiki-style koshida. Personally I prefer the aiki-style, but that's just my preference. Both hakamas have held up very well. As for are sizing, I followed bujin's recommendatons and have had no issues.

ChrisMoses
06-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Tozando.com - a little costly with S & H, but excellent quality.

I second Tozando. THE BEST hakama for Aikido training. Get their basic tetron hamaka and it will last you for years and years. The koshita is made with a flexible rubber insert, so while it looks traditional, it's comfortable and safe. Bujin makes good hakama too, but I find their hime (straps) too long for how I tie a hakama, and I just can't stand the look of the modern aiki koshita, but that's just me. A lot of folks love them.

ChrisMoses
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Ooh, lookie what's on sale... Clicky (http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/ah200.htm)

Mike James
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I have two hakama from Bu Jin. Both are the medium blend material (cotton/polyester). I wear my first one for daily training and my newer one for seminars and special events (or when my daily one is being cleaned). My daily one has just started showing a bit of wear in the knees and straps after 2-1/2 years. Many of my dojo mates have them too and seem to like them. I haven't heard anyone say any negative things, and when students are about to promote to dan grade and ask where they should get a hakama, Bu Jin is recommend by the rest of the yudansha.

aikidoc
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I have worn Bujin hakamas for years. They are durable and fit nicely. I prefer the aiki-koshita-the regular seems to poke me or irritate my low back. Others prefer the regular-I find the aiki koshita more to my liking.

Ron Tisdale
06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I've got one hakama, it's from Bujin, and I like it.

Get their basic tetron hamaka and it will last you ...

Did you say Yamaka, Hamaka, or Hakama?? :D

Best,
Ron (Mazaltoff...)

ChrisMoses
06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Did you say Yamaka, Hamaka, or Hakama?? :D

Best,
Ron (Mazaltoff...)

hamanahamana... My keyboard-fu is weak today...:yuck:

Gerardo Torres
06-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I third Tozando hakama.

Their 100 % polyester hakama is the best hakama for aikido that I have ever tried, including various Bu Jin, Iwata, e-bogu, etc. Unlike those other brands, after two years wearing the Tozando it shows no signs of wear & tear whatsoever.

http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/sk_ah500.htm

Keith R Lee
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I *had* a Tozando hakama and it was the best I ever owned. Then I went and left in California or Oregon while at a seminar. :(

Sonja2012
06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I have been wearing a bujin hakama (the heavy quality with aiki koshita) for about half a year now. It is quite costly to get them over to Europe due to import tax, but I would (and certainly will) do it again any time as I found that it was money very well invested. I loooove my hakama :-)

Plus, it seems to be self-folding ;-) No, seriously, all the other hakama I had before that were much more difficult to fold.

bkedelen
06-05-2007, 01:18 AM
I have had both and have worn bujin hakama every night for eight years. I do not understand the reason for going with anyone but bujin. Just because they offer the aiki koshita does not mean you have to get one and therefore has no bearing on the quality of their materials or their craftsmanship. They will repair your knees, stitch your pleats, and make your straps any length you desire. I am not just schilling here. There is really no reason to order a hakama from Japan.

Edward
06-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Another vote for Tozando.

Gerardo Torres
06-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I *had* a Tozando hakama and it was the best I ever owned. Then I went and left in California or Oregon while at a seminar. :(That sucks. I also lost a good hakama during a seminar. I am not a fan of embroidered names on training gear, but maybe it's not such a bad idea - it would make such personal items more prone to being returned if lost. Tozando can embroider names in katakana (at about $2 - $4 per letter) on hakama, maybe I’ll go for it on my next one:

http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em11.htm
http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em10.htm

gdandscompserv
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
That sucks. I also lost a good hakama during a seminar. I am not a fan of embroidered names on training gear, but maybe it's not such a bad idea - it would make such personal items more prone to being returned if lost. Tozando can embroider names in katakana (at about $2 - $4 per letter) on hakama, maybe I'll go for it on my next one:

http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em11.htm
http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em10.htm
But if you are afraid of losing it in America, why would you choose katakana instead of English?

Gerardo Torres
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
But if you are afraid of losing it in America, why would you choose katakana instead of English?Because names in katakana look cool on hakama? :)
Like I said, I'm not a fan of embroidery, patches, etc., on gi or hakama. I would probably request just for my initials on the inside of the koshiita.

Lan Powers
06-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Funny how people vary in their likes/dis-likes so much.
Bu-Jin rocks....tetron sucks.

Unless, of course, you like Tetron and don't like the fine fitting, sleek hanging, self-folding (gotta get me one of those) beauties from Bujin.

To each his own...try both, it will be obvious to you in a bit which you like better (borrow from another student)
Best
Lan

Janet Rosen
06-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I love my tetron hak from mugendo budogju. It holds up well, the pleats never go away.
And thanks to my retained language ability and Qatana's embroidery, I was able to balance "my name in kanji" on the right hip with "my name in Yiddish" on the left hip. Talk about customization!

George S. Ledyard
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
and I just can't stand the look of the modern aiki koshita, but that's just me. A lot of folks love them.

That would be....me!

Nafis Zahir
06-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Funny how people vary in their likes/dis-likes so much.
Bu-Jin rocks....tetron sucks.

Unless, of course, you like Tetron and don't like the fine fitting, sleek hanging, self-folding (gotta get me one of those) beauties from Bujin.

To each his own...try both, it will be obvious to you in a bit which you like better (borrow from another student)
Best
Lan

I use to feel the same way, but Bujin does not use the same materials as they did before. I got a twill hakama and noticed that the material did not feel nor fold the same. I called and asked them about it and they told me that they are now using a different supplier. They had a good reason, but it's not the same hakama. Tozando is a better quality, and folding the hakama is not hard, once you've done it many time over.

Jeffrey A. Fong
06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I agree with Nafis Zahir. I have two hakama and purchased another for a friend. The first two cotton were heavy and first quality. The second was a lighter material and just not the same. I sent it back and discussed this with Ginger Ikeda, but to no avail. They swore the material was the same, but... Trivial? Maybe, but disapointing.

mrfeldmeyer
06-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I am a fairly big guy, around 6'-1" and 215 lbs. I purchased an Iaido gi and hakama from Tozando. I found that the straps on the hakama where a few inches shorter than would be optimal. I can barely get an actual knot with the front straps. The gi for Iaido that they sell don't come in sizes above a 4 either, so I was guessing this is just because Tozando Iaido department doesn't market to bigger people.

I have bought aikido gis from Tozando and am very happy with them, so they obviously sell those in larger sizes. I am considering buying a new aikido hakama in the near future and was afraid of purchasing from Tozando due to the short straps issue. I have also looked at Bujin and Daimyo Outfitters. Although, I am straying away from Bujin after this thread a bit.

Does the short straps issue only exist on the Iaido hakama, or have people had this issue on the Aikido hakama as well? Any other places that people feel are worth purchasing a new hakama from?

Thanks,
Matt

Janet Rosen
06-07-2007, 05:16 PM
You might talk to Peter Boylan at http://www.budogu.com/ I"m sure he'd be happy to check the length on the ties of the haks he sells.

Peter Goldsbury
06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I have bought aikido gis from Tozando and am very happy with them, so they obviously sell those in larger sizes. I am considering buying a new aikido hakama in the near future and was afraid of purchasing from Tozando due to the short straps issue. I have also looked at Bujin and Daimyo Outfitters. Although, I am straying away from Bujin after this thread a bit.

Does the short straps issue only exist on the Iaido hakama, or have people had this issue on the Aikido hakama as well? Any other places that people feel are worth purchasing a new hakama from?

Thanks,
Matt

Ever since I became a yudansha in 1978, I have used hakama made by Iwata. Before I came to Japan these were ordered by the dojo from Japan. The names were always correctly written on the back. When I bought my last hakama, I visited the shop in Okubo, Tokyo and met everyone. You can have your hakama built to order, so to speak, with the straps as long as you like (in my case both knots are in front, around the seika tanden, below the Fujita-style wrap-around obi).

ChrisMoses
06-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I am a fairly big guy, around 6'-1" and 215 lbs. I purchased an Iaido gi and hakama from Tozando. I found that the straps on the hakama where a few inches shorter than would be optimal. I can barely get an actual knot with the front straps. The gi for Iaido that they sell don't come in sizes above a 4 either, so I was guessing this is just because Tozando Iaido department doesn't market to bigger people.

I always buy their "Aikido" hakama, even for iai and have never had trouble making a knot (simple or formal) with the straps (I'm about 6' and 195 lbs). Just for clarity, I put the front on first, wrap the hime around 1.5 times and tie in the back, then put on the back of the hakama and use the rear hime to form the knot in front (probably one of the reasons that the Bujin hakama seem too long to me, they seem to expect people to start with the koshita).

Nafis Zahir
06-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I agree with Nafis Zahir. I have two hakama and purchased another for a friend. The first two cotton were heavy and first quality. The second was a lighter material and just not the same. I sent it back and discussed this with Ginger Ikeda, but to no avail. They swore the material was the same, but... Trivial? Maybe, but disapointing.

The person I spoke with told me that the company they were getting their material from either closed or was now getting material from outside the USA. They wanted to get their material from within the USA and I believe he said that they were using a company in Florida. Anyway, they no longer make the duck hakama, and as for the cotton hakama, I cannot speak on the quality. However, he did tell me that the hakama that is now called the twill, IS NOT the same material that it once was. I'm going to get my next hakama from Tozando, although recently, I have been tempted to give Iwata a try.

Nafis Zahir
06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
I always buy their "Aikido" hakama, even for iai and have never had trouble making a knot (simple or formal) with the straps (I'm about 6' and 195 lbs). Just for clarity, I put the front on first, wrap the hime around 1.5 times and tie in the back, then put on the back of the hakama and use the rear hime to form the knot in front (probably one of the reasons that the Bujin hakama seem too long to me, they seem to expect people to start with the koshita).

Also, their koshita is much harder. There is nothing like a nice, soft, form fitting koshita. By the way, the knot doesn't bother you at all when you take ukemi?

James Young
06-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Ever since I became a yudansha in 1978, I have used hakama made by Iwata. Before I came to Japan these were ordered by the dojo from Japan. The names were always correctly written on the back. When I bought my last hakama, I visited the shop in Okubo, Tokyo and met everyone. You can have your hakama built to order, so to speak, with the straps as long as you like (in my case both knots are in front, around the seika tanden, below the Fujita-style wrap-around obi).

My Iwata hakama has served me well for a long time as well and I would second a recommendation for them. I've always felt that getting a hakama there was like getting an off-the-rack suit. They get out the standard size for your height, have you wear it, and then take measurements and such so they can appropriately alter it (strap length, hem length, side-vent length, etc.) so it will be something of a custom fit. Even after many years when some of the stitching came out I took it back and they fixed it and double-stictched everything to make it more robust for a nominal fee. The downside comes in I suppose when you can't go to their store but have to mail order it, which particularly adds to the price when it's an international shipment.

Also, it was explained to me that Iwata (and other makers like Tozando) make hakama in the "official" aikikai style. What that basically means, so I was told, is that the front straps are generally designed extra long so that they wrap a full two times around and can be tied in the front. Supposedly a knot in the back can be bothersome to some when taking some ukemi and the extra wrap around helps add to the stability of the hakama on the wearer, however, I know many people with the standard strap length hakamas which tie in the back and they seem to get along fine so I think it's more up to the user's preference.

Bronson
06-08-2007, 01:42 AM
My experience with the Bujin hakama has been less than stellar. Because of this I now get THIS ONE (http://www.e-bogu.com/Top_Quality_Black_Tetron_Hakama_Size_All_p/tak-ken-hak-tqtet-black-all.htm) from e-bogu.com. It is very durable, works well for iai, fits great right off the rack (I'm 5' 9" & 250 lbs), and is considerably less expensive than most others mentioned here. For me the small difference in quality that may exist between the e-bogu tetron hakama and, for example, the Mugendo tetron hakama doesn't justify the difference in price.

YMMV,

Bronson

SmilingNage
06-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Polyester died in the 70's keep it there and don't order plastic hakamas. Cotton requires more care, ie ironing, but it is worth the labor. The only exception would be for a 1st time hakama wearer. Then go ahead and get the non cotton hakama. Learn how to care and fold it correctly. Better to make your mistakes on the forgiving "plastic" hakama then on the cotton hakama. As cotton tends to have a memory and it will take on the manner by which you fold it. Fold it poorly and it show. Then graduate up to the Heavy cotton hakama. You wont be sorry

I liked the old Bujin heavy cotton hakama. It served me well for years when it died in combat. A Nage stepped on the bottom as I took ukemi and ripped both side seams. It is now enjoying retirement in my closet. I just cant bring myself to throw it out. I cant say much about the new twill, as I haven't used it yet. Ikeda sensei often takes orders and measurements after his seminars. That might be a good time to get an order in.

I currently use Iwata heavy cotton hakama which I purchased 8 years ago.Its the best training buddy I have ever had. Though I found the stitching around the Koshita region to be less than adequate. I had the koshita double stitched 2 yrs ago when the original stiches and fabric failed. Folding the Iwata is abit different than other Hakamas. The Iwata has an elliptical shape to it. The bottom is "bell" shaped. So folding it will take some time and practice. It is definitely not a beginner's hakama.

P.S.
It maybe a wife's tale, but I thought tying the knot in the back was a no-no for Aikido because the knot would press up on the spinal cord when being thrown. Which could lead to back injuries during break/high falls. I dont have any references for this but I do believe it.

ChrisMoses
06-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Also, their koshita is much harder. There is nothing like a nice, soft, form fitting koshita. By the way, the knot doesn't bother you at all when you take ukemi?

Never. Most of the times these days when I'm wearing hakama I'm wearing a kaku obi which also has its not in the back, so you just don't land there. Most falls are to one side or the other, and if you're going straight over, it's still no biggie. Even with a judo style obi though, I can make a square not that is thinner than two layers of obi. Honestly I notice that more than the knot these days.

ChrisMoses
06-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Polyester died in the 70's keep it there and don't order plastic hakamas.

Unless of course you snowboard, ski, cycle, climb, hike, row, motorcycle, dance, run, lift, fruit-boot... Most 'high-tech' fabrics that help keep us cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold are made from synthetic materials. Cotton is nice, but it certainly has disadvantages. Check the tag on your Bujin keikogi, guess what the lining is made from...

Please note that I'm not bashing on Bujin. I think they're a great company and great people. There are just other distributors/manufacturers that I prefer. I also realize that I'm probably in the minority about the aiki-koshita, but my sword line is pretty particular about how one is dressed. I guess I have to be anal about something. Aiki-koshita, hakama that are too long, or gi pants showing under the hakama all make me grumpy... :hypno:

SeiserL
06-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Only worn Bu Jin for years. No problems.

FiuzA
06-15-2007, 06:18 AM
P.S.
It maybe a wife's tale, but I thought tying the knot in the back was a no-no for Aikido because the knot would press up on the spinal cord when being thrown. Which could lead to back injuries during break/high falls. I dont have any references for this but I do believe it.

I tie the knot in the back, but not in the center of the back so it wont press the spinal cord. I knot a little bit more to the side which i guess its enough to avoid injuries. (didnt have none since today, at least :) )

Works fine with me, and my sempai partners knot this way too, always saying to be carefull not to tie right in the center of the back.

best

Jack Simpson
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
dropping in a little late....

your hakama should come from Iwata. It should be the traditional 100% cotton, dyed the traditional indigo blue. The only allowed connection with "modern" methods is that you don't have to set the dye by soaking it in large pool of urine. :crazy:

:) That being said, I have two Iwata hakama, one that is just about worn out and the second that I keep for seminars, testing, etc. My daily wearer is the cheapest hakama bujin offered with an "aiki" koshiita. Had it for several years, hangs great and the knees are only now showing signs of wear. Hovering above the mat during suwari waza will help in this regard :hypno:

Also have a hand-made beauty from a nice lady in Woodstock, NY, but got to get out the needle and thread and repair the knees on that one as well. Just make sure with whatever one you choose that the koshi-ita is either rubber or some type flexible material.

cheers,
Jack :ai:

Janet Rosen
06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I second the above re: koshita. Best tip I ever got on hak repair was from a sempai who'd moved west from Chicago and told be they always used plumbers gasket to re-fill the koshita as needed. I've done so and darn if it isn't excellent - flexes, doesn't break, and you can comfortably roll/fall all over it.

Chris Li
06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
dropping in a little late....

your hakama should come from Iwata. It should be the traditional 100% cotton, dyed the traditional indigo blue.

I"m not sure why Iwata is a "should", but here is an interesting quote on hakama at the pre-war Kobukan:

"Everyone wore them. When you joined you had to buy training uniform and that included a hakama. Most people used black but some had white. I had a black one.... or was it white? At first I bought a white one but it got so filthy that I took it home and dyed it black because the things were so hard to wash."

So why is blue "traditional"?

Best,

Chris

Nafis Zahir
06-25-2007, 10:30 PM
The one thing that Tozando has over Iwata, is that the stitching never comes apart, especially around the koshita. Also, I don't believe that blue is traditional. Remember, black doesn't bleed!

Sonja2012
06-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Chris,

may I ask where you got that quote from?

Warm regards,
Sonja

Chris Li
06-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Chris,

may I ask where you got that quote from?

Warm regards,
Sonja

Stan Pranin's interview with Kunigoshi.

Best,

Chris

Aikilove
06-26-2007, 01:20 AM
The one thing that Tozando has over Iwata, is that the stitching never comes apart, especially around the koshita. Also, I don't believe that blue is traditional. Remember, black doesn't bleed!
I wouldn't necessarily agree on that. I bought a 65% / 35% polyester /polyacetylene hakama (I think at least) from Tozando at least 5-6 years ago. It was one of the less pricy ones. All though I'm happy over all with the hakama (it folds itself and it looks nice to wear) the stitches were not of the best quality on that one. I've had to restitch around the lower end of the koshita at least three times. In the crotch once and at the side hem once or twice. In all cases except at the koshita it was easy to restitch, by re-using the stitch holes. But still.
I'm thinking Bujin next time. Aiki koshita style. I'm just debating if I should go with indigo or black and what fabric I should use.

/J

Nafis Zahir
06-26-2007, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't necessarily agree on that. I bought a 65% / 35% polyester /polyacetylene hakama (I think at least) from Tozando at least 5-6 years ago. It was one of the less pricy ones. All though I'm happy over all with the hakama (it folds itself and it looks nice to wear) the stitches were not of the best quality on that one. I've had to restitch around the lower end of the koshita at least three times. In the crotch once and at the side hem once or twice. In all cases except at the koshita it was easy to restitch, by re-using the stitch holes. But still.
I'm thinking Bujin next time. Aiki koshita style. I'm just debating if I should go with indigo or black and what fabric I should use.

/J

Yours may be the exception to the rule. I'm on my third hakama from Tozando and have never had that problem. I would stick with Tozando, but if you must try Bujin, go with the black. As I stated before, black doesn't bleed!

Bronson
06-26-2007, 03:01 AM
Best tip I ever got on hak repair was from a sempai who'd moved west from Chicago and told be they always used plumbers gasket to re-fill the koshita as needed.

I've also been told a mouse pad works well (cut to shape of course).

Bronson

Aikilove
06-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Yours may be the exception to the rule. I'm on my third hakama from Tozando and have never had that problem. I would stick with Tozando, but if you must try Bujin, go with the black. As I stated before, black doesn't bleed!
Yes and I should mention that I have been training like crazy (at least the first couple of years with the hakama). Other people in the dojo that have bought 100% polyester hakama, blend or pure cotton from Tozando have been very pleased with them.
Re: Bujin. I think I will go with black. You can't go wrong with that.

/J

Jack Simpson
06-26-2007, 10:40 AM
it "should" be Iwata, because that's what I have. Of course satire doesn't work well on the web. :) Can be anything you like, the Iwata's are nice. Would also second the plumber's gasket trick and have used this on one of my haks.

Now the blue versus black. I do remember reading that the first indigo dyeing in Japan used large vats of urine to set the dye and the way to tell if the fabric was "authentic" was that is would smell slightly of urine. :crazy: yuck. Also heard that the black trend in hakamas came after wwII when the only fabric around was "black-out" cloth, but I can't substantiate that particular rumor. I do believe you want to steer clear of white, as that color is usually worn at funerals in asian countries.

For an excellent read about hakamas and other more esoteric dojo stuff, I recommend Dave Lowry's recent book "In the Dojo". I'm particularly fond of his theories on the pleats of the hakama having great symbolic mystery (no), and he makes up some of his own. I do believe the 3rd pleat pertains to the virtue of "not running with scissors".:)

In the end, for whoever was originally seriously asking this question, bujin, iwata, tozando, any would be fine. Have fun, train hard and remember the koshi-ita goes in the back. :cool:

cheers,
Jack :ai:

Chris Li
06-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Now the blue versus black. I do remember reading that the first indigo dyeing in Japan used large vats of urine to set the dye and the way to tell if the fabric was "authentic" was that is would smell slightly of urine. :crazy: yuck. Also heard that the black trend in hakamas came after wwII when the only fabric around was "black-out" cloth, but I can't substantiate that particular rumor. I do believe you want to steer clear of white, as that color is usually worn at funerals in asian countries.

The Kunigoshi quote referred to pre-war practice, so the "black-out" cloth myth is just that - a myth. Morihiro Saito said that they tried to make some hakama after the war out of black out curtains, but it didn't work out very well. I'd also note that many people in the pre-war Kobukan (also according to Kunigoshi) wore white hakama. I've seen white hakama in Yoshinkan, and also from others (such as Hikitsuchi), so it's obviously not reserved for funerals.

Best,

Chris

ChrisMoses
06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
The Kunigoshi quote referred to pre-war practice, so the "black-out" cloth myth is just that - a myth. Morihiro Saito said that they tried to make some hakama after the war out of black out curtains, but it didn't work out very well. I'd also note that many people in the pre-war Kobukan (also according to Kunigoshi) wore white hakama. I've seen white hakama in Yoshinkan, and also from others (such as Hikitsuchi), so it's obviously not reserved for funerals.

Best,

Chris

Chris, you need a hug. You've been Mr. Grumpy lately and that's my gig...

Chris Li
06-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Chris, you need a hug. You've been Mr. Grumpy lately and that's my gig...

Hey, I'm trying to work my way up to crotchety old man status :).

Best,

Chris

ChrisMoses
06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey, I'm trying to work my way up to crotchety old man status :).

Best,

Chris

Best of luck to you, I'm hoping for "Dirty Old Man" status myself.:eek:

Karen Wolek
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Remember, black doesn't bleed!

But then you can't "smurf" all your friends! No fun! :D

Jill N
06-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi all:

Janet Rosen said: >> Best tip I ever got on hak repair was from a sempai who'd moved west from Chicago and told be they always used plumbers gasket to re-fill the koshita as needed. I've done so and darn if it isn't excellent - flexes, doesn't break, and you can comfortably roll/fall all over it.<<

I made my own hakama, and I used a mouse pad for the koshita. Works great. I've washed it a bunch of times and it is fine. I don't worry about rolling- it's soft, yet keeps it's shape.

e ya later
Jill. ;^)

Sonja2012
06-29-2007, 03:29 AM
if you must try Bujin, go with the black. As I stated before, black doesn't bleed!

I bought a navy bujin one and had no bleeding whatsoever... errr... that came out all wrong :blush: I meant that the hakama didnīt bleed at all, of course :) However, a friend bought a black one from bujin which he had to soak in vinegar (a slightly better alternative to the urine methinks :p ) and wash a few times before it stopped bleeding. I think it may have to do with the washing method you choose - mine is a dry clean one whereas my friendīs is a machine wash one.

I would be interested in hearing what other peopleīs experience is in that regards as I am thinking about purchasing another hak from bujin but would like to avoid the bleeding problem...

Warm regards,
Sonja

Nafis Zahir
06-29-2007, 04:02 AM
I bought a navy bujin one and had no bleeding whatsoever... errr... that came out all wrong :blush: I meant that the hakama didnīt bleed at all, of course :) However, a friend bought a black one from bujin which he had to soak in vinegar (a slightly better alternative to the urine methinks :p ) and wash a few times before it stopped bleeding. I think it may have to do with the washing method you choose - mine is a dry clean one whereas my friendīs is a machine wash one.

I would be interested in hearing what other peopleīs experience is in that regards as I am thinking about purchasing another hak from bujin but would like to avoid the bleeding problem...

Warm regards,
Sonja

As I stated earlier, try Tozando.com.

ChrisMoses
06-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Warm regards,
Sonja

Bleeding problems only come up with cotton hakama, particularly those that were dyed with real indigo. I love the way indigo dyed hakama look, but if you train on a canvas floor and sweat at all, they will continue to bleed. I don't think Bu Jin's blue hakama use real indigo dye, and my black cotton hakama from them didn't bleed.

dragonteeth
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
A friend of mine and I bought almost identical Bujin hakama at the same time, the only difference being that his was the regular version and mine was the women's cut. His has never bled, and mine has just about turned my (also Bujin) dogi a lovely shade of periwinkle. Fortunately we practice on blue mats, so they aren't much worse for the wear. I'm going to try (again) to soak the hakama in vinegar and the gi in bleach this week to see if I cant get them to stay the right colors.

We both cheated and got the sewn-in pleats option, which I love for quick folding but I'm not so happy with the way it hangs as a result. I can easily take the front himo around two and a half times. My only issue with it is that after about six months of use, the front himo started to detach from the top of the hakama. That might be a product of my overly-tight tying technique, or it might not.

Still, I'll probably buy another from Bujin when the time comes. And I will definitely buy another one of the 12 ounce women's cut dogi. I've owned more than my share of judo and karate gi over the years, and I have to say that is absolutely the coolest (temperature-wise) and most comfortable uniform I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

Lori