PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist Wisdom

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tony cameron
06-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey you all (y'all),

Todays quote in "Glimpse After Glimpse" by Sogyal Rinpoche:

"If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything; it is open to everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few."

SUZUKI-ROSHI

I have been reading this book (Glimpse After Glimpse) over and over again for many years (hoping that some of the eternal wisdom would sink in:) and it never ceases to amaze me how similar the quotes in this book are to things that O Sensei would say. I guess in the end, all Masters sound similarly cryptic and wonderful at once. I know that O Sensei was not technically Buddhist, but then again maybe he wasn't not a Buddhist either (ha!). Actually, he reminds me more of the Lao Tzu than anything. Please feel free to throw your favorite quote of wisdom onto this thread;) Here's another fave:

"This existence of ours is as transient as autumn clouds
To watch the birth and death of beings is like looking at the movements of a dance.
A lifetime is like a flash of lightning in the sky,
Rushing by, like a torrent down a steep mountain."

- LORD BUDDHA

and..

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

- Obi wan-Kenobi

dps
06-02-2007, 10:26 PM
" Not like Pooh, the most effortless Bear we've ever seen."
"Just How do you do it, Pooh?"
"Do What?" asked Pooh.
"Become so Effortless."
"I don't do much of anything," he said.
"But all those things of yours get done."
"They just sort of happen," he said

The Tao of Pooh

David

jennifer paige smith
06-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Joke:
Q: Why is duct tape like the force?
A: I don't know,Why?
Q: Because it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the entire universe together.

James Davis
06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Joke:
Q: Why is duct tape like the force?
A: I don't know,Why?
Q: Because it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the entire universe together.

Isn't that what Luke used to put his hand back on?:p

lifeafter2am
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love. This is the eternal rule." -- Siddhartha Gautama Buddha

xuzen
06-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Pull a bow string too tight and it will break, too loose and it will not shoot the arrow. Perfection is somewhere in the middle. Choose the middle path.

Boon.

stelios
06-06-2007, 05:46 AM
Γνώθι Σεαυτόν Ε Μηδέν Άγαν (Greek, translates to:
Know yourself E Do not exagerrate)

Written on the front temple of the Delfi Sacred Temple of Apollo in Greece

SeiserL
06-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Three jewels.
Four noble truths.
Eight fold path.
Five percepts.
Six virtuous acts.

Do the right thing. We all know what that is.

Nick P.
06-06-2007, 07:03 AM
No matter where you go,
There you are.

-Unknown (at least, I don't know who said that)

jennifer paige smith
06-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Isn't that what Luke used to put his hand back on?:p

"Who's your daddy?"
http://www.runleiarun.com/choppedoffhands/sw5.html

Ed Stansfield
06-06-2007, 07:52 AM
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

Little Gidding, TS Eliot

Yann Golanski
06-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Before, you are unwise.

After, you are wise.

Now, you are otherwise.

jennifer paige smith
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
"I y'am what I y'am and that's alll what I y'am."
Popeye

tarik
06-06-2007, 08:47 AM
:straightf

guest89893
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
No matter where you go,
There you are.

It was said by the main character in the movie Buckaroo Bonzai. Which is IMO the only thing in the movie that was amusing and worth repeating.

Qatana
06-06-2007, 12:11 PM
You laugh, Monkey boy!

Mike James
06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
No matter where you go,
There you are.

I think that it was Buckaroo Banzai!

Mike James
06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm-a goin' home!

Mike James
06-06-2007, 02:44 PM
It was said by the main character in the movie Buckaroo Bonzai. Which is IMO the only thing in the movie that was amusing and worth repeating.

I happen to think it's the best all-star-cast "B-movie" ever made!

jennifer paige smith
06-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I took the road less traveled. Now, where the hell am I?
-bumpersticker

Janet Rosen
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
"Peace will enter when hate is gone" - Percy Mayfield, the poet of the blues

tony cameron
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
"..you must cut away all excess baggage and walk triumphantly through this difficult world."

Tomlad
06-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Hi Tony,

I've read a number of Suzuki Roshi books - you might like Thich Nhat Hanh also.

In reference to your points about how masters sound the same and how O'Sensei's sayings can seem similar to Buddha, I think that this is because the source of these is the same.

Lao Tse wrote about the Tao and is one of the founding books on Taoism. Zen stems from Taoism and is closely linked to Aikido because of the links Aikijutsu had with Samurai and the links between Iaido and Zen.

I once practiced at a dojo that taught Karate, Judo and Aikido and the teachers agreed that the more you understand about an art, the greater its similarities to other arts.

SeiserL
06-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Since we are on an Aikido forum, IMHO lets not forget Shinto and Omoto wisdom.

Trish Greene
06-11-2007, 04:33 PM
"Isn't my enemy destroyed once I have made him my friend?"
~ Abe Lincoln

Suru
06-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Every person is absolutely perfect. We are ignorant of our own perfection to varying degrees.

This is paraphrased from "Awakening the Sleeping Buddha" by the Twelfth Tai Situpa.

Drew

SeiserL
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
IMHO, since Buddhist believe that we are all already enlightened, we just forget, don't we all have the bottom line everyday common sense to know what the right thing is to do. We just need the mindfulness to recognize what is already there, the courage to do it, and the discipline to keep doing it.

jennifer paige smith
06-12-2007, 08:10 AM
"Heaven and Earth are perfect and complete. The only thing awaited is the realizaiton of man to his inner divinity' -Morihei Ueshiba

Suru
06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
"Heaven and Earth are perfect and complete. The only thing awaited is the realizaiton of man to his inner divinity' -Morihei Ueshiba

I completely believe that we each have "inner divinity." I believe it says in the Bible that God made man [and woman?] in His own image.

Drew

jennifer paige smith
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I completely believe that we each have "inner divinity." I believe it says in the Bible that God made man [and woman?] in His own image.

Drew

Definition of Christ from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:
The divine manifestation of God, which comes to the flesh to destroy incarnate error.

In this way we can manifest 'christ conciousness' ; realize our true inner divinity, and bring completion to our spiritual paths.

jen

Bill Danosky
06-12-2007, 08:16 PM
:straightf

Ditto.

guest89893
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I happen to think it's the best all-star-cast "B-movie" ever made!

My wife also really liked it. It just fell short for me. You are right though it had an all-star cast. But I digress from movies giving Buddist wisdom. I would prefer to quote Big Trouble in Little China
"When some six-foot tall hairy-eyed ape grabs the back of your neck and asks if you paid your dues, well you look him right back square in the eyes and tell him what ol'Jack Burtan says at a time like this. -Have I paid my dues? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."

"Besides I never drive faster than I can see."

barron
06-13-2007, 06:29 AM

Buckaroo Banzai: Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I must disagree with your critique of "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" (1984)! But you did get the quote correct although there are many other attributions.

In a more deeper study of Tao of Buckaroo one might meditate upon the following:

Two of Buckroo's team

Perfect Tommy: Pictures don't lie.
Reno: The hell they don't. I met my first wife that way.

Two "hunters" afraid of the unknown

Duck Hunter Burt: Hand me that flashlight.
Duck Hunter Bubba: I can't! I'm holding two guns!
Duck Hunter Burt: Then put one of them down.
Duck Hunter Bubba: I'm not putting one of them down!

Buckaroo Banzai: Let her out.
Female Prisoner: Hey, me too.
Perfect Tommy: Let her out?
Buckaroo Banzai: That's right, let her out. I'll be responsible.
Perfect Tommy: But she's a killer.
Buckaroo Banzai: No, she's not. Now, let her out and give her your coat.
Perfect Tommy: Why me?
Buckaroo Banzai: Because you're perfect.
Perfect Tommy: You have a point there.

Fred Little
06-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Or as one buddhist's net sig once had it:

"Confusion is enlightenment in drag."

jennifer paige smith
06-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Or as one buddhist's net sig once had it:

"Confusion is enlightenment in drag."
:)

guest89893
06-15-2007, 12:32 AM
[QUOTE=Andrew Barron;180737]I must disagree with your critique of "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" (1984)! But you did get the quote correct although there are many other attributions.

In a more deeper study of Tao of Buckaroo one might meditate upon the following:

Two of Buckroo's team

Perfect Tommy: Pictures don't lie.
Reno: The hell they don't. I met my first wife that way.

QUOTE]
I stand corrected this was a great qoute as well.

guest89893
06-15-2007, 12:41 AM
I also like:

Stupid is as stupid does.

Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what's inside. Just when you bite into a piece expecting a soft chewy caramel center you get a nougat that chips your tooth. Causing you horrible pain and sends you to a dentist who charges you thousands of dollars over what you dental insurance covers from work, which was cancelled because you got fired for going to the dentists office instead of going to work. Yep, Life is like a box of chocolates.

Luc X Saroufim
06-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Embattled, we prevail
Only victory exhaled.

-Some idiot.

Mark Uttech
06-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I think it should be pointed out that the banner of buddhist wisdom does not fit a lot of the posts in this thread. The only thing that is a given is that 'sutra' translates as 'thread'.

In gassho

Mark