PDA

View Full Version : Off nights - is it just me?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

booyaa
05-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Today is the day after my off night! I dont mean taking the night off, i mean i totally didnt get anything last night.

Basics that I know how to do, just weren't happening last night... im hoping that others have this too. I couldnt believe that i forgot simple moves like omote and ura ( i kept doing ura when i was suppose to do omote )

At least i knew what nikkyo was, that was my saving grace!

I know my tenkans suck, but last night i learned because my hamstrings are too tight, i cant do a proper tenkan, the way my sensei wants me too. He wants me to stretch my leg back more, yet i cant or else ill pull a muscle.

I guess in retrospect I did learn some things last night, I learned on my off nights, i am not there both mentally and physically.

Here is hoping that thurs night will bring a better training session.

Pauliina Lievonen
05-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't know how long you've been training, but in my experience you'll always keep having off nights every now and then. Last year I had a bit of an off year...:) Better learn to enjoy them. :D

kvaak
Pauliina

Janet Rosen
05-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Its TOTALLY normal.
Sometimes for reasons....never discovered.
Often, because there is a normal disconnect/time lag between body and mind in terms of integrating stuff.
In terms of hamstrings, there may be chronic imbalances between your quads and hamstrings causing your pelvis to be pulled and worsening the hamstrings tightness, or it may come from tight Achilles tendons and plantar issues - you may want to check with a PT or athletic trainer or myofascial therapist.

jennyvanwest
05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Most definitely. They aren't fun but they are certainly good for humility, and I sometimes wonder if I'm not learning on a different level by being so confused I can't think.

happysod
05-31-2007, 03:15 AM
Sorry Jeremy, but it's just you! The rest of us gods of aikido inhabiting aikiweb do not have "off nights", that is merely a justification for the weak and dilettante and you should scourge yourself mercilessly for even daring to have a less than perfect training.

The true student of aikido has off weeks, off months, even off years or decades! Due to this typical myopic Western obsession with short periods of time such as a single night we see the increasing signs of a declining dojo culture in aikido with obsessive hakama folding on a worrying increase and even reports of coloured lineage charts being passed between kyu grades after training.

Just remember, what would KP do (assuming your user name is a reference, and yes I am rather sad to recognize it)

philipsmith
05-31-2007, 05:04 AM
To paraphrase the late great Jazz pianist Oscar Peterson
"We all play bum notes but the trick is not letteing the audience hear them"

crbateman
05-31-2007, 05:05 AM
You aren't going to knock one out of the park every single night. Nobody is that good. But it is good that you attempt to gain from it by trying to figure out what it was that brought it about. Not in an obsessive way, but in a constructive one. It could be any of a million different things, maybe the same one every time, or maybe a different one each time. You may find that the more you practice, in a relaxed yet focused manner, the less often this will happen. But it will still happen from time to time, so don't be too hard on yourself. As for the hamstrings, work out some stretching exercises for before and after practice, and your flexibility will improve. Relax. Reach. Empty. Fill. Breathe. Train. Enjoy.

Kieran Barrett
05-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Jeremy, you need to relax and realise to err is human....it is from our mistakes that we learn...is sounds like your sensei wants you to do things that you recognise you cannot, Aiki is about blending with yourself as well as your Uke....

Smile and think happy thoughts...good luck training tonight..let us know how you got on!

Taliesin
05-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Off-Nights???

You're looking at things the wrong way round. Nobody has off-nights - we all have very rare ON Nights when things go right.

gdandscompserv
05-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Off-Nights???

You're looking at things the wrong way round. Nobody has off-nights - we all have very rare ON Nights when things go right.
I like that.:cool:

gdandscompserv
05-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Due to this typical myopic Western obsession with short periods of time such as a single night we see the increasing signs of a declining dojo culture in aikido with obsessive hakama folding on a worrying increase and even reports of coloured lineage charts being passed between kyu grades after training.
Ha-ha.
I think you are right Ian.

Murgen
05-31-2007, 09:53 AM
coloured lineage charts being passed between kyu grades after training.

What exactly is that!? Just curious. Is it showing the lineage from O'sensei all the way down to the kyu grades in the dojo? Sounds really weird.

booyaa
05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
thanks for all the comments, they are great. I especially had a good chuckle from Ian, that really made me laugh out loud.

From now on im going to look at the nights im doing things well as the rarity!

Since I have only been in it for 3 months, i still have lots to learn, so its all good!!!!

Qatana
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
its the nights that everythng makes crystal clear sense that worry me!

tarik
05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
its the nights that everythng makes crystal clear sense that worry me!

Why is that, or is this purely jest?

Those nights are typically (for me) remarkable milestones of learning and awareness when my understanding and ability are well matched.

I haven't had one of those in ages.

Regards,

Qatana
05-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Its partially true and partially jest.
Unfortunately I'm not well right now and rather brain dead so I really can't elaborate any further!

ElizabethCastor
05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Since I have only been in it for 3 months, i still have lots to learn, so its all good!!!!

Man!!! 3 months! sheesh 3 months in I was still very unsure of my footwork let alone omote and ura. AND I kept apologizing every time I threw someone on the ground :( :blush: :yuck: REALLY. NO JOKE.

Plus, I am a little like Jo, I get a little wary/on edge/cautious if everything goes perfect. Mostly because I don't want to assume that I have it "perfected." I kind of remind myself to take mental notes on WHY everything is sync-ing up so well. That way I have my observations built up. Not really out of fear of screwing up but knowing how a technique feels in my body instead of how X Sensei or Y Sensei describes it to me. Also, so that I am not so hard on myself when that "bad day" happens... if I assume I got it then have a bad day I tend to get tough on myself, unnecessarily.

Lastly, I find "bad days" a little enlightening. I try to reflect on what my brain was focusing on instead of aikido. I learned a lot about my daily habits from this.

Enjoy!

antonis paps
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Today is the day after my off night! I dont mean taking the night off, i mean i totally didnt get anything last night.

Basics that I know how to do, just weren't happening last night... im hoping that others have this too. I couldnt believe that i forgot simple moves like omote and ura ( i kept doing ura when i was suppose to do omote )

At least i knew what nikkyo was, that was my saving grace!

I know my tenkans suck, but last night i learned because my hamstrings are too tight, i cant do a proper tenkan, the way my sensei wants me too. He wants me to stretch my leg back more, yet i cant or else ill pull a muscle.

I guess in retrospect I did learn some things last night, I learned on my off nights, i am not there both mentally and physically.

Here is hoping that thurs night will bring a better training session.

Do not worry

I hear this all the time by other people in the dojo.

I even feel sometimes that I was really crap

I guess everyone is allowed to be, or feel he was crap,

once, or twice or, lots and lots of times

hehe:D :D :D

lifeafter2am
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Everyone has their off days! I had one about 3 weeks ago, I felt like I couldn't do anything right! I kept hitting my head doing foward rolls! I am actually good at those too! :)