PDA

View Full Version : Aikido for kids

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

yosushi
05-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi
Seeing what aikido brought in my life, I`d like to introduce it to my kid when he is old enough, and see if he likes it.
I dont want to push him, but to lead him to aikido !

What are your thoughts on teaching aikido to kids ?
Especially:
-how early should one start learning aikido (are techniques suitable to young kids body, ...)
-do you have some nice experience bringing your kids to practice, or teaching them yourself ?

I havent seen a thread with this subject, I hope you`ll have interesting stories to tell !
My 6-months old baby is too young to start aikido now. I`ll learn patience and read your posts meanwhile.

Have a good day.

graham
05-22-2007, 03:12 AM
My kids both do Aikido at the same club as me. The eldest is 10 and my youngest is 5.

They both love it, as much for the fun and exercise, as for any of the techniques. It's also nice for them to pick up the philosophy of Aikido. For instance, a while ago my eldest was trying to tickle me and the youngest yelled out "No! We learn Aikido so we can learn not to fight."

It was so cool! :)

Mark Uttech
05-22-2007, 03:44 AM
The best way for parents who are already taking aikido to introduce their children to it, is to practice basics with their children at home. You can start them at any age then. And the first thing is: you play with them.

In gassho,

Mark

Trish Greene
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Large and small Motor coordination and movement, Do activities with them that help develop large and small motor coordination.
Kids love to roll! Show them the right way to do it so that by the time they hit the dojo they will be experts!!

I have to agrees with Graham and Mark, live the philosophy and play with them!