PDA

View Full Version : Learning Curve

Please visit our sponsor:

jennifer paige smith
05-12-2007, 11:27 AM
As an active Aikido practitioner and teacher I get to walk a tender line of learning in between my self, my students, my teachers, and the founders teachings and spirit. Some days are simply 'better' than others. Often times we, as people of thought, body and concience, are in positions of communicating our art and practice. Sometimes we can get ourselves across; and other times, fat chance. I was reflecting on this because of the learning curve I'm enjoying at the moment and I wanted to hear how anyone else is experiencing theirs.

This applies to the communication of technique as well as the communication of voice and feeling ( or add your own words).
So, let's take it from here friends!

gambatte!

Mark Uttech
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I find the quote by Mahatma Ghandi that you use a very curious thing; why would someone such as Ghandi say such a thing? And why did Ghandi have a habit of sleeping with 13 year old girls? When I was growing up, my father shot down any hero I had. I don't think it was because he didn't want me to have a hero, he just wanted me to look and look again.

In gassho

Mark

gdandscompserv
05-13-2007, 09:27 AM
pile on Ghandi!:freaky:

jennifer paige smith
05-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I find the quote by Mahatma Ghandi that you use a very curious thing; why would someone such as Ghandi say such a thing? And why did Ghandi have a habit of sleeping with 13 year old girls? When I was growing up, my father shot down any hero I had. I don't think it was because he didn't want me to have a hero, he just wanted me to look and look again.

In gassho

Mark

In the circular symbol of the yin/yang (in-yo is a Japanese expressive equivelant to the concept) there are two sides, a mirror of balance. This is the way in which I, and most others that I know, look at the symbol and interpret it's meaning. opposites, light into dark etc.. But there is more
Within that symbol is a fertile line; a line that is so thin you hardly can percieve it. It exists at the place where the two 'sides' come together. It is a curving line that can only be found because of the colors that lead to it. It is not grey, it is the space in between. It is a curving line, just like anyone who pursues a concept of balance (justice) and imbalance(injustice) when squeezed, we occupy that line. Within that space there is a binding quality that combines opposites into a new concept. O'Sensei called this quality love. A martial artist who talks about love isn't a lot different than a peace activist talking about violence. They are co-habitants in balanced, moving, measure. The line of life balance we occupy. Neither one side or the other; but a position in observation and activity of both.
I don't really think I'm answering your question. I don't really think I'm saying this well, but it is my best attempt to offer an example or a viewpoint that may curve your perspective for good benefit.
Ideals are painful to me and I've had them blown up and dissolved to my betterment if not to my pleasure.

SeiserL
05-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Read George Leonard's Mastery book. Reframes the concept of learning curve. A very interesting read.

jennifer paige smith
05-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Read George Leonard's Mastery book. Reframes the concept of learning curve. A very interesting read.

Good Call. Thank you, I've read it, I've recommended this book and I do also find it a useful tool in going and guiding through learning curves.

I would add to that "The Teachings of Don Juan; A Yaqui Way of Knowledge" By Carlos Castaneda. He masterfully negotiates an inner landscape change from a colonial to a native perspective.

Ron Tisdale
05-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Ah, Carlos Castaneda, the man who made up his stories? As a work of fiction, what makes you recommend it?

Best,
Ron

jennifer paige smith
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Ah, Carlos Castaneda, the man who made up his stories? As a work of fiction, what makes you recommend it?

Best,
Ron

I feel he masterfully negotiates an inner landscape change from a colonial to a native perspective.

Lan Powers
05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I feel he masterfully negotiates an inner landscape change from a colonial to a native perspective.

I actually prefer Hunter S. Thompson.....both deal in the internal changes of a person who completely twists his reality through substances.
Gonna miss that old Gonzo Dr.

Lan

jennifer paige smith
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I actually prefer Hunter S. Thompson.....both deal in the internal changes of a person who completely twists his reality through substances.

Lan

Yeah!

George S. Ledyard
05-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Best,
Ron
Hi Ron,
Castaneda's books changed my life back in the day... As it became apparent that he had manufactured his stories, I had to deal with whether that fact negated what I had gotten out of them? In the end I decided it didn't. What made his books, especially the early ones, so influential was his genius at getting into core truths. Over the years, I have encountered all sorts of interesting ideas which, looking back I believe he had incorporated into his writings. I finally decided that the guy was very talented at taking ideas from very wide ranging sources and putting them together into his mythical Don Juan character. That didn't make the ideas any less valuable. I still quote from those books even today.
- George

BC
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Lan

I prefer the late great Kurt Vonnegut.

Lan Powers
05-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I prefer the late great Kurt Vonnegut.

Duly trumped sir!!

Here is my self-porteait, a la Vonnegut.....
A bit smaller than his, but still quite accurate.:D
Lan

jennifer paige smith
05-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-kurt vonnegut