PDA

View Full Version : IMHO: In My Humble Observation

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

jennifer paige smith
05-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Before I began this web adventure I had never spent much time on the net. In my travels and writing through this virtual dojo I have read the phrase In My Humble Opinion on many occassions. I understand the intent of the phrase, but I often find that opinions are rarely humble by nature. I would like to offer these phrases as an additional way of communicating i when something other than an opinion might be helpful.

IMHU; In My Humble Understanding(i.e..where I'm at in my learning.)

IMHO-2: In My Humble Observation.(i.e.Where I'm at in my ability to see).

IMDS: In My Drunken Stupor:drool:(i.e. Where I'm at at 12:30 a.m.( Hey, how did that get in here?)

jen

maxwelljones
05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
"Understanding" would be appropriate when presenting facts that you can verify, IE, who trained under who and when.

"Observation" is your perception; not quite an opinion, but not concrete enough to be a verifiable fact.

"Drunken stupor" would be appropriate if you don't have a clue. :p

But thanks for bringing this to my attention.

tarik
05-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Humility is about actual behavior and action.

In 21 years of Internet crawling, I have always found the IMHO phrase to be a bit affected and often misused. If I really find it necessary to make it clear that I'm expressing an opinion, I use IMO (in my opinion) instead and let the observer make their own determinations about my humility or lack thereof.

dps
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Before I began this web adventure I had never spent much time on the net. In my travels and writing through this virtual dojo I have read the phrase In My Humble Opinion on many occassions. I understand the intent of the phrase, but I often find that opinions are rarely humble by nature. I would like to offer these phrases as an additional way of communicating i when something other than an opinion might be helpful.

IMHU; In My Humble Understanding(i.e..where I'm at in my learning.)

IMHO-2: In My Humble Observation.(i.e.Where I'm at in my ability to see).

IMDS: In My Drunken Stupor:drool:(i.e. Where I'm at at 12:30 a.m.( Hey, how did that get in here?)

jen

IMHO= Is My Hair Okay
IMHO= Is My Hat On

jennifer paige smith
05-07-2007, 08:05 AM
IMHO= Is My Hair Okay
IMHO= Is My Hat On

IMHO=Is My Hakama On? Which may relate to:IMDS=In My Drunken Stupor.:)

jennifer paige smith
05-07-2007, 08:12 AM
"Understanding" would be appropriate when presenting facts that you can verify, IE, who trained under who and when.

"Observation" is your perception; not quite an opinion, but not concrete enough to be a verifiable fact.

"Drunken stupor" would be appropriate if you don't have a clue. :p

But thanks for bringing this to my attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understanding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observation

Drunken stupor - marginal consciousness; "his grogginess was caused as much by exhaustion and by the blows"; "someone stole his wallet while he was in a drunken stupor"
semiconsciousness, stupefaction, grogginess
unconsciousness - a state lacking normal awareness of the self or environment:drool:

ChrisMoses
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I thought everyone knew that IMHO was sarcasm. No? No one has a 'humble' opinion on the intewebs... And we are all taller, thinner and better looking online too.:cool:

Hogan
05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Htfc? C.... Ayptain... T T T...

SeiserL
05-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I often find that opinions are rarely humble by nature.
IMHO, opinions are humble. Judgments are not.

Taliesin
05-08-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't have a humble opinion - I have an opinion

Lorien Lowe
05-09-2007, 02:09 AM
there is, of course, 'imnsho.'
in my not-so-humble opinion.

tarik
05-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Imoygaaboflaingtet!!!

jennifer paige smith
05-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Imoygaaboflaingtet!!!

sounds like a case of IMDS.
By the way, are you following me? Or is that simply too much to hope?

jennifer paige smith
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
IMHO, opinions are humble. Judgments are not.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/opinion

Pretty darn close. I catch your distinction. The two are related and very frequently intermeshed. When I hear opinions without judgements, I'll pay close attention.

mjhacker
05-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Why are so many people so damned afraid of being judged?

Mark Uttech
05-09-2007, 11:25 AM
According to Buddhism, there is not one single person who is always praised or always blamed. Criticism or flattery is something to live through.

In gassho,

Mark

mjhacker
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
According to Buddhism, there is not one single person who is always praised or always blamed. Criticism or flattery is something to live through.
Amen.

jennifer paige smith
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Why are so many people so damned afraid of being judged?

As for me, I am not. The issue I'm personally observing isn't fear; the issue is awareness and choices made in an awakened state.

jennifer paige smith
05-20-2007, 10:34 AM
As for me, I am not. The issue I'm personally observing isn't fear; the issue is awareness and choices made in an awakened state.

Discernment

jennifer paige smith
05-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Humility is about actual behavior and action.

In 21 years of Internet crawling, I have always found the IMHO phrase to be a bit affected and often misused. If I really find it necessary to make it clear that I'm expressing an opinion, I use IMO (in my opinion) instead and let the observer make their own determinations about my humility or lack thereof.

Humble is the adjective (description of action)and humility is the noun (quality of being).

Others make their determinations whether we let them or not.
Either way.

jennifer paige smith
05-20-2007, 10:51 AM
oh