PDA

View Full Version : Just an introduction

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jonshez
05-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently began learning Aikido and am really enjoying it so far.
Learning Aikido was a goal I set myself this year, I'd always wanted to learn, the philosophy of the art appealed to me - to use the strength and momentum and aggression of an attacker against them.
At the beginning of the year I was 240lbs and very unfit. I'm down to 214lbs and quite a bit fitter, so a month ago I decided the time was right to achieve that goal.

I'm finding I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know I would. I'm finding the 'falling over' much harder than the aikido! I'm finding that frustration is hampering me, and I'm learning patience and humilty. I'm learning not to be afraid of my body, what it can do and how it looks. For years I've been very self-conscious about movement (dancing, running, etc) in case I looked ridiculous, I'm learning to move around with balance ond confidence.

Right now my dojo only trains once per week, if I could I'd train every day I would!

My only slight concern is that my dojo seems to be concentrating on the Ki aspect rather than the martial art aspect. However, I think that may well be due to my inexperience. Attacks seem to lack sincerity, although again that may be a reflection on my stage of learning, after all, I've only been going for a month! A sincere attack combined with my inexperience and inability to perform ukemi would be a recipe for disaster! Patience and trust for Sensei and his knowledge are helping me with that.

Anyway, that's it. Hi, hope you are all well!

akiy
05-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi Jon,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Jonshez
05-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks!

Larry Cuvin
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Jon,
Be patient with your self. Things that I have never thought I'd be able to do and learn three years ago, I have learned in small baby step. I study ki aikido and for me, studying the ki aspect of the art I consider the meat. It is probably the most important thing that makes me hungry and want more to learn. Full speed attack might get you flustered at this point of your training but believe me when I tell you that focusing on the ki aspect of the art at an early stage of training (and I believe at any stage for that matter), will only help you in the long run.

Just relax, have an open mind and enjoy the journey. Welcome to aikiweb.

Larry

Jonshez
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks Larry,
I've just finished reading The Spirit of Aikido by Kisshomaru Ueshiba. It has made a good many things much clearer to me in regards to the aims of O Sensei.
When I began looking into actually training (rather than thinking I'd like to) I was concerned that so many people felt Aikido wasn't a 'proper' martial art, or that it would be inneffective as a self-defence discipline. I couldn't understand why Aikido would avoid competition and competitive training. Having read the words and thoughts of the founder from one who was there I now see perfectly.
Competition in the search for Budo is counter-productive. The only person being challenged by my training is me. It is for me to learn what I am capable of and to become the best person I can possibly be. To bring competition into the mix means I am not able to achieve that, ego gets in the way.

Someone on these forums (thanks if it was you) when discussing the effectiveness of Aikido posed the question "If an aikidoka was killed in a violent crime..." (I'm paraphrasing) "... did aikido fail?". That question also brought a good deal into focus for me, as was also said "If you want to be safe, buy a gun". Aikido is so much more than self-defence or a fighting art.

It seems that my Sensei is showing me a better path to self-improvement, and for that I am grateful.

Jon

yosushi
05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi
Welcome to the Aikido family,
I hope you have a very good journey.