PDA

View Full Version : Favourite technique in Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

holloway_dan
04-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Hey Whats everyones favourite technique in aikido and why? My personal fav would b tenchinage or kokyu nage!
Leme knw!

Karol Kowalczyk
04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
For me, it's gotta be 'Suwari waza kokyo ho'.

(if it IS called that! Sitting close together, in seiza, partner holding both my wrists, and with the power of ki (and a little twist of my own;) ) he falls to one side.)

Simple reason, it's one of the few techniques I can remember the name of, and also...Im middle aged, fairly out of shape, and when the instructor says it, I immediately know the hour is almost up and my body can at last have a rest!:D

justin
04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
kotegaeshi for me please

Roman Kremianski
04-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I personally love iriminage. It's a very flexible technique.

mwible
04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
my personal fave would have to be tenchinage or sankyo. because, with tenchinage it just flows so well, and u can do it from like anything. its very fun. and sanyko is quick and straight to the point and u can also do it from any attack :D

Nafis Zahir
04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Kotegaeshi followed by Koshinage!

mjhacker
04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Whichever chooses me in the moment.

CNYMike
04-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Shiho nage is like an old friend to me, so I'm always glad to see it.

barry.clemons
04-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Kotegaeshi for me, please.

Roman Kremianski
04-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Sadistic wrist snappers!

mwible
04-22-2007, 03:23 PM
yea i know, sankyo is just good like that :D!

gdandscompserv
04-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Shiho nage is like an old friend to me, so I'm always glad to see it.
Yup. Me too.

Michael Varin
04-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Whichever chooses me in the moment.
Agreed, but if I had to choose one it would be rokkyo.

mjhacker
04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Agreed, but if I had to choose one it would be rokkyo.
I choose not to choose.

Roman Kremianski
04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Bear with him, he's on a philosophical roll...

divinecedar
04-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Maeotoshi!

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
04-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Tenchinage is a beautiful technique, but ikkajo (ikkyo) is a tried and true pal.

I do like iriminage, but we're still only at the flirting stage.

No Dan
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
It would have to be Sankyo for me esp. being in law enforcement. Seems to put itself right into place. Then it would have to be Karame Nage (sp). Before I learned the name we called it that cool looking commando take down. It's like shihonage on steroids.

Mike Hamer
04-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Yea.......I'm gonna have to go ahead and say kotegaishi, I mean c'mon, a seven year old can do it!

grondahl
04-23-2007, 02:36 AM
The one that always pops up naturally in more "disorganised" jiyuwaza for me: Rokkyo.

Aristeia
04-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I think irmi nage. It can be done with gross motor action which always made me feel it was the technique I was most likely to be able to pull off during adrenalin dump.

Ed Stansfield
04-23-2007, 07:27 AM
When people ask me this question, I always think of Go Rin No Sho, where Musashi says, effectively, "you shouldn't have favourites".

However, not having reached that enlightened state, my favourite technique is either tenchinage or kotegaishi (I'm not just unenlightened, I'm indecisive).

And for armed combat:

My weapons of choice are:

The kusari-gama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusari_gama)
The tetsubo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsubo)

and, due to my enthusiasm for things of a piratical nature:

The banjo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Van_Helgen)

Amanda
04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I'd say my favourites are (at the moment anyway) shihonage and tenchinage although I don't think I could name a least favourite.

Aikibu
04-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Iriminage.

William Hazen

tarik
04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I find this an impossible question to answer (the way I look at training today). I work hard not to choose a 'technique' and I can't really prefer one right now.

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
When people ask me this question, I always think of Go Rin No Sho, where Musashi says, effectively, "you shouldn't have favourites".

"You should not have a favorite weapon. To become over-familiar with one weapon is as much a fault as not knowing it sufficiently well."

holloway_dan
04-23-2007, 10:25 AM
bit of a pointless post then wasnt it tarik lol! :D

tarik
04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
bit of a pointless post then wasnt it tarik lol! :D

Not really. Just because you didn't see the point doesn't mean there wasn't one. :)

Chuck Clark
04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
:straightf

Janet Rosen
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
This was answered for me during a 2 yrs hiatus for surgery/rehab, during which I had waking dreams of falling/rolling and found myself "doing aikido" unbidden in visualizations and small muscle movements while reading, walking, etc.: curiously there were only 2 body movement patterns that showed up consistently, neither ones I'd have called "favorites" if asked, but clearly resonating in my system the most: one was picking up sankyo from a shoulder grab and the other was sayonage/sokumen iriminage.
It was odd, to say the least....

charyuop
04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I like them all and I have fun when practice them (as Nage and Uke).
But one that really amazes me for its simple movement and the power of putting the opponent to his/her knees is for sure Nikkyo.

When Sensei receives my punch and places my hand on his chest is like a mother who calls her child into her arms. I see in it the essence of the harmony....but it doesn't last long hee hee, less than 1 second and I am on my knees staring at the mat....ouch!

As per practicing, I like techniques which lead to a front roll like Mae Otoshi, Kaiten Nage and similar. Don't know why, but it is easier for me in those movements to feel the opponent and flow along with him/her.

Marie Noelle Fequiere
04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Sensei always urges us not to have a favorite technique, and I agree with him. When one becomes to attached to one particuliar technique, one might try to use it when circunstances do not call for it, either in randori, or worst, in a self defense situation.
This said, let me confess that I do have a favorite technique, and that is shihonage. I remember the first time I learned it, I cried in frustation because I thought that I would never get it. My partner panicked because I was not saying anything, and she thought that when it was her turn to practice on me, she'd twisted my wrist too hard. And then, at the end of the class, during randori practice, it was my turn to be in the centre of the circle, and, as I was struggleling to fend of my attackers, out of nowhere came shihonage, and down came Tori, and I could not believe it. It is now, with iriminage, my best technique, but I enjoy shihonage more.
I also have a most hated technique, and it is ikkyo. I am only five feet tall, and sometimes, Sensei pairs me up - intentionally! - with a bearbed creature one hundred pounds heavier than me, and, in the beggining, I would struggle to wrap my short fingers around a wrist as big as my leg, and an elbow as big as my head. I was finally taught to grab the hand, and fold it - make the thumb meet the pinky - and just press the elbow in the tatami while I twist the wrist.
People keep telling me that O Sensei was no taller than I am. Mayby, but O Sensei was a GUY! And guys have bigger hands and feet than women! Aha!

p00kiethebear
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Irimi nage. I feel like I can pull it out anywhere.

Mark Gibbons
04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Which ever technique we are working on is my favorite. If uke likes it then that's what we do.

Mark

xuzen
04-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Shomen-ate.

Solution to 90% of life's and aikido problem. When in doubt... just Shome-ate!

Boon.

CitoMaramba
04-24-2007, 03:44 AM
Aiki-waza :D... done with Atemi!

Edward
04-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Sensei always urges us not to have a favorite technique, and I agree with him. When one becomes to attached to one particuliar technique, one might try to use it when circunstances do not call for it, either in randori, or worst, in a self defense situation.

In my opinion, once you achieve a good kuzushi, any aikido technique can be applied successfully. It's just a matter of personal choice.

Tony Wagstaffe
04-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Love practising all aikido techniques:D
Tony

Princess Rose
04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
My favorite technique is different depending on if Iím uke or nage.

For uke koshinage :D

For nage totally have to go with yonkyo ;)

connie brown
04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
irimi nage and ikkyo, because it seems there's always more to learn about them, and they can be so graceful and fluid. ...though i suppose that could be said about most techniques.:D

crbateman
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
My favorite technique? Whichever one I'm doing now...

eschatts
04-25-2007, 12:32 PM
One thing we do in "advanced class" is called Beeriminage. An attacker (the bartender) will attack with a bottle of beer. You enter to the attacker and take the beer away and then proceed to drink the beer. Unlike traditional irminage, this does not take 20 years to master.

Eric

Aikibu
04-25-2007, 01:00 PM
One thing we do in "advanced class" is called Beeriminage. An attacker (the bartender) will attack with a bottle of beer. You enter to the attacker and take the beer away and then proceed to drink the beer. Unlike traditional irminage, this does not take 20 years to master.

Eric

I never mastered it. No matter how many times I executed this technique perfectly I ALWAYS ended up passed out... knocked out... or in jail. :D

William Hazen

crbateman
04-25-2007, 04:38 PM
One thing we do in "advanced class" is called Beeriminage. An attacker (the bartender) will attack with a bottle of beer. You enter to the attacker and take the beer away and then proceed to drink the beer. Unlike traditional irminage, this does not take 20 years to master. I dunno... I've been doing beeriminage for a lot longer than 20 years, and i still need to practice it regularly looking for perfection. :D

gdandscompserv
04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
That one Kevin Choate Sensei does where he leads you helplessly to the mat with the slightest of touch.:cool:
I think it's called aiki.

RoyK
04-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I really like doing Kaiten Nage, both Uchi and sotto, in Jyuwaza lately, I see that's quite the minority opinion here.

Renzo Roncal Soto
05-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Shijo nague
For me, is the most effective and powerful technique, because works at any speed of execution, even if uke offers resistance.
And if it is clarified with good atemis, it flows far better.

Beard of Chuck Norris
05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I have just discovered the power in what was previously just a "ki" exercise.

We call the exercise "ude furi choyaku undo"

So I guess you'd call the technique "ude furi choyaku" or an Aiki / kokyu nage. Kinda half rokkyo half yokomenuchi / kokyu nage. Much beef, much goodness.

Peace and love

Jo

Erik Calderon
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
My favorite is Ikkyo. Maybe because it is one of the most difficult techniques for me to perform and the one that I see as most powerful.

booyaa
05-30-2007, 10:59 PM
For me.. the beginner..(barely 3 months) i have two!

iriminage and kotegaeshi

My least favorite... none!

I'm a sponge, as difficult as some are to grasp, i love learning them all.

ElizabethCastor
05-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Wow! I'm surprised that no one has even mentioned my fave!

Sumiotoshi!!!!! I love the simplicity (offline, open and redirect). Plus how easy it is to get ura or omote as the situation dictates... Finally, its good for beginners and advanced due to easy variablility of ukemi!

I also happen to be a big fan of swariwaza kokyu ho... fun experimentation to be had by all

Lastly, I love any of our musubi practices. so much so that I made a t-shirt saying so!

Have fun!

jennifer paige smith
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
This was answered for me during a 2 yrs hiatus for surgery/rehab, during which I had waking dreams of falling/rolling and found myself "doing aikido" unbidden in visualizations and small muscle movements while reading, walking, etc.: curiously there were only 2 body movement patterns that showed up consistently, neither ones I'd have called "favorites" if asked, but clearly resonating in my system the most: one was picking up sankyo from a shoulder grab and the other was sayonage/sokumen iriminage.
It was odd, to say the least....

related to this post as this realization came to me during a surgery rehabilitation.

My favorite technique:BOWING.:)