PDA

View Full Version : Getting power into techniques

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

holloway_dan
04-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey just wondering what people thought was the best way to get the maximum power from a technique with the miniumum effort? The style i do teaches a long projection and unbendable arms will do the trick but it doesnt work for me on all the techniques. Any other suggestions or ways i can improve my power as i want my aikido to be the best aikido it can be.

divinecedar
04-20-2007, 10:55 PM
For me at least, most power is generated by not trying to force a technique (good timing) and proper breathing (kokyu ho). Also, proper atemi before a technique application generally results in a much more effective end result.

Hope this helps!

xuzen
04-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Hey just wondering what people thought was the best way to get the maximum power from a technique with the miniumum effort? The style i do teaches a long projection and unbendable arms will do the trick but it doesnt work for me on all the techniques. Any other suggestions or ways i can improve my power as i want my aikido to be the best aikido it can be.

For me, it was a combination of the insane hours of doing
1) Kihon Dosa (aka Tai sabaki in some school) to improve my balance and strong explosive entering power,
2) suwari-waza for developing strong and pliable hips (good for dancing and getting the Ass of Steel [TM] too)
3) Bokken cutting practice for developing the strong forearm to crush uke's puny arm.

Boon

SeiserL
04-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Hey just wondering what people thought was the best way to get the maximum power from a technique with the miniumum effort?
IMHO, do the physical and conceptual technique correctly, with the correct intensity, and the correct intent. All techniques are power when done correctly. That power may be very subtle or very obvious. The longer I train, the more subtle I desire. If you feel the power in the technqiue, you are probably doing it wrong. Slow down, connect, and be mindful.

John Matsushima
04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I think in Aikido, the idea is not to gain power, but to lose it. When uke attacks, we do not fight, do not resist, so there is no need for power. Aikido techniques are of the "sword of no-sword", except that we save the attacker from himself. Whenever you see someone being slammed down or thrown through the air, it is not because of the power of the nage, but it is a redirection of his own power.

Aikibu
04-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Very Simple really though getting there requires much effort

To achieve B after a few years of dedicated practice

I think in Aikido, the idea is not to gain power, but to lose it. When uke attacks, we do not fight, do not resist, so there is no need for power. Aikido techniques are of the "sword of no-sword", except that we save the attacker from himself. Whenever you see someone being slammed down or thrown through the air, it is not because of the power of the nage, but it is a redirection of his own power.

You must first do A. :)

For me, it was a combination of the insane hours of doing
1) Kihon Dosa (aka Tai sabaki in some school) to improve my balance and strong explosive entering power,
2) suwari-waza for developing strong and pliable hips (good for dancing and getting the Ass of Steel [TM] too)
3) Bokken cutting practice for developing the strong forearm to crush uke's puny arm.

Boon

As we old Zen Puppies have been shown "Chop wood, carry water."

Keep Cutting and Keep Rolling. :)

William Hazen

aikidoc
04-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Hips

L. Camejo
04-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Good combination of points already given.

Imho using the ground for leverage combined with coordinated movement of the whole body generally and the hips/centre/waist area particularly are important for power generation. Spinal and structural alignment is key to this imho.

An ability to generate power does not mean that one can transfer the power into the other person within their waza however, which requires that the peripheral areas (hands, arms etc.) are well connected to the core power generation areas. Shoulder relaxation, waki shimete and the proper use of tegatana with movements that don't sacrifice core power for upper body strength assist with this imho.

This also has an effect of anchoring ones body/technique when the other is attempting to move you from your base of support, such as in a floor pin imho.

LC:ai::ki: