PDA

View Full Version : Are there any ties from O'sensei to Nihon Goshin Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

jason jordan
04-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Hey I was at work browsing the web:o and I found a few sites on Nihon Goshin Aikido. I am very aware that there are many many "Styles" (lack of a better word" of Aikido. But to my knowledge all of them although very different, trace their roots back to O'sensei. But I found that N.G.A. traces their roots to Shodo Morita and before him Sokaku Takeda (O'sensei' teacher)

I'm not disputing anything but I would like to know from those who may have knowledge on this style some more information.

I guess what I'm asking is who came first and who coined the name "Aikido"?

And if O'sensei (Which I believe he did) why doesn't N.G.A. give reference to him as the founder of Aikido?

Please: I come in peace seeking knowledge
:ai:

Amir Krause
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
This has been discussed before. And at least some of your assupmtions are wrong. for starters, Ueshiba never coined the name "aikido", he just adopted it for the M.A. after leaving Daito-Ryu, the name was coined by a comitee of the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai, for a new M.A. department.

Look at the following links:
About Nihon Goshin Aikido and traditional Aikido:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9508

- About the name "Aikido" and the different M.A. which use it:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10296

and some more about Korindo:
http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9889

Hope this helps you.

Amir

jason jordan
04-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Amir,
I did not realize this had been discussed already. I can tell by your threads that you are a bit passionate about your views and therefore I will not dispute them. Of course I was never here to dispute. I do not agree however; that O'sensei did not coin the phrase Aikido.

My question was really just trying to see how N.G.A. calls itself Aikido. I thought that maybe the founder studied with O'sensei and formed his own style.

I don't care if he calls it buju-wadabi-hai karate aikido. I just was looking for a link.

My belief is that as long as there are people on the earth with different God given minds, there will always be different interpretations and ideologies about everything. Take care
Shalom Shalom

Jjo

Amir Krause
04-22-2007, 01:35 AM
I do not agree however; that O'sensei did not coin the phrase Aikido.

Sorry, but there is nothing to agree or disagree here. O'sensei did not coin the phrase Aikido, this is a matter of well recoreded history, the phrase was coined by Mr. Hisatomi (from the Kodokan) . Feel free to check this fact in Aikido Journal and with other people of historical knowledge.

If you wish to hold beliefs, there is still some dispute regarding the purpose of the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai and Hirai role:

Aikikai (Ueshiba's family and students) maintains Hirai was Ueshiba's representative to the Dai Nihon Butokukai, and the purpose of the task force Hirai Headed was to represent Ueshiba's M.A. in the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai.

Korinkai (Hirai's family and students) claim Hirai was invited to the Dai Nihon Butokukai on his on his own standing as a Martial Artist, and the department was generic for "practical Ju-jutsu \ yawara".

You can form your own opinon regarding the truth easily after you read some more (search in both sites and in E-budo.com and you can read my own opinion).

Amir

jennifer paige smith
05-04-2007, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Amir Krause;176244]
Sorry, but there is nothing to agree or disagree here. O'sensei did not coin the phrase Aikido, this is a matter of well recoreded history, the phrase was coined by Mr. Hisatomi (from the Kodokan) . Feel free to check this fact in Aikido Journal and with other people of historical knowledge.

Aikido Journal and Other people is a little bit big a category of research for me. Could you please be more specific as to whom, and as to which Aikido Journal entry you base your facts?

Thanks

Ron Tisdale
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Amir is correct in what he says. Well documented, in fact. There is a search feature on aikido journal...for the article section, as well as the forum. This has been referenced many time on e-budo, aikido journal, and even here.

Best,
Ron (I'm often surprised that when people are faced with well documented facts, they still say they disagree...)

http://www.aikidojournal.com/encyclopedia?entryID=264

(March 1903-16 October 1998). B. Okayama Prefecture. Strong background in iaido. Entered Kobukan dojo in 1939 and became General Affairs Director in January 1942. Sent as representative to the DAI NIHON BUTOKUKAI in October 1942. Played major role in name change from AIKI BUDO to aikido. In July 1945 received the rank of HANSHI from the DAI NIHON BUTOKUKAI. Established the KORINDO dojo in Shizuoka in October 1945. In September 1953 he established the KORINDO dojo in Tokyo. In January 1954, combined Shizuoka, Okayama and Tokyo dojos and established the NIHON KORINKAI. Interviewed in Aikido Journal #100.

jennifer paige smith
05-04-2007, 09:52 AM
http://aikido-france.net/iwama/

I checked the above website and the reference on your page above and I still do not see that anyone referenced is directly credited with coining aikido. I see the phrase 'played major role'. Is this the reference you are intending?

Ai

Ron Tisdale
05-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Exactly...
It is here that he used for the first time the name "Aikido"

He "used the name", not invented it. This does not disagree in anyway with the references provided...the timeframes even match...

Best,
Ron

jennifer paige smith
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Exactly...

He "used the name", not invented it. This does not disagree in anyway with the references provided...the timeframes even match...

Best,
Ron

I'm more interested in O'Senseis definition of aikido than which of his students collaborated with him on it's official use. That is really my intrigue and reason for inquiry. Otherwise, 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other, for me.

Anybody else?

Ron Tisdale
05-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Ah, did you read the posted articles? I'm not sure you can really call Hirai a "student" of Ueshiba Sensei's. More of a contemporary, collegue, etc. If you read the articles, and the interview with Hirai Sensei in the article section, you will see what I mean.

Again, the name was developed by "committee"...but then, if you read the articles, that will be clear.

I'm more interested in O'Senseis definition of aikido ...

Yes, well, that would be a slightly different topic that the one in this thread I think...but aikido journal has some wonderfull sources for that topic as well.

It is also interesting that you end your post with "Ai"...there is an interesting reference to just that in the article. ;)

Best,
Ron

jennifer paige smith
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I looked up the provided links previously to my last post. I do not know to which article that you are referring. Could you please provide that specific link?

Ron Tisdale
05-04-2007, 11:29 AM
The link is in the encyclopedia entry. I also started a new thread as we are kind of moving off topic...

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12515

Best,
Ron