PDA

View Full Version : When do you use the ignore button?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

George S. Ledyard
04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I have two criteria for when to add someone to my ignore list:

a) I decide that they have nothing to teach me or am interested in hearing about from them.

b) they clearly feel the same way about me.

I find my life getting much more harmonious by skipping all the lengthy debate and acrimony on topics that will never result in any agreement or even an agreement to disagree. When someone trails me around the forums sniping at everything I write, I just push the button and all is right with the world. Then the rest of us who are actually interested in communicating can get on with it.

Kevin Leavitt
04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks George, I will take this advice. Sometimes it is good to have one of your buddies step in and tell you when enough is enough! Appreciate the advice! hooah!

Ellis Amdur
04-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Whenever I read a post and think, "There's some moments of an all-too-short life that I'll never get back.

Kevin Leavitt
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
My wife reminds me of this constantly Ellis concerning aikiweb in general. Another good point! Maybe I should just stop posting all together! Thanks!

happysod
04-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Just to buck the trend... I don't use that feature at all. If I'm currently feeling annoyed with someone I just skip past their posts in the hope that at some-time when I'm less bothered by them they may say something worth reading or risk losing the context of a decent poster who may be replying to their nonsense with something I want to read.

Same thing with the forums themselves really, if they're start to become too much of my real life (TM) thinking I'm obviously obsessing too much over trivia so I'll wander away for a week or so.

Having said that, I haven't had my own forum-stalker so can understand and applaud its use by others, I'd hate to be stuck with that sort of pratt.

Chuck Clark
04-03-2007, 07:29 AM
There's a couple of people in the past years that are no longer posting on various boards that I used the ignore function because I saw nothing but adversarial tit-for-tat type gradeschool pushing and shoving in their posts.

I, also, tend to just skip over posts when I recognize, as Ellis said, that my precious breaths are being wasted. I don't want to have a heart attack and die thinking "I wish I wasn't engaged in this silliness."

DonMagee
04-03-2007, 08:07 AM
I choose to read everything written to me. Even if I don't want to. So I do not ignore anyone.

However, I stay out of posts where the topic is not one I care to read about.

James Davis
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I've never used the ignore button. So far, my forgive button is still functional. I generally don't leave because a discussion gets heated, but I do when it gets stupid. I don't want to pass judgement on anybody and ignore their words completely, regardless of their past posts.

On the other hand, there are quite a few on this site that I definitely look forward to hearing from. :)

Don_Modesto
04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I only ever used it once, and the individual ignored was driven off the boards shortly after that by acrimonious hue and cry from even our more moderate posters.

Too bad the board at aikidojournal never recovered from all the trolls needing ignoring. It was once the best. And now the posts there are advertising and responses usually number "0."

Kevin Wilbanks
04-05-2007, 01:56 AM
I ignore the old-fashioned way. If I find myself getting into unpleasant emotional states over an internet board, I stay away for a while. I think it has more to do with my own emotional and mental state than with what other people are saying, so to me the ignore button would be counterproductive. If I'm in the kind of state where some quasi-anonymous internet talk is going to cause me serious distress, I would rather know, and not interfere with the valuable feedback mechanism annoying people provide.

If experience tells me that someone probably has nothing useful to say, I skim or skip most of their posts most of the time, or don't even get involved in threads they dominate - mostly out of disinterest. I would never blot them out with the feature because it would make threads incomprehensible and I am pretty much opposed to an ostrich-like response to anything.

happysod
04-05-2007, 03:24 AM
I've decided to add Kevin Wilbanks to my ignore list as I'm fed up with him saying what I want to say in a more readable form. I'm not being petty, just downright righteously childish - and proud of it!

SeiserL
04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
I tend not to ignore, but to selectively listen to the content and avoid/ignore the petty personalities of ignorance and arrogance.

OTOH, I tend to ignore my own post as often as possible.

Guilty Spark
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
What really bugs me is people who make a HUGE deal out of telling EVERYONE that someone else is on their ignore list.

"Is YOU KNOW WHO talking? I can't see what he's saying because *I* have him on ignore!"

Their not just happy with ignoring someone they need everyone to see that they are infact making some kind of protest against someone.
Funny thing is more often than not a few posts later they will chime in and adress something that the person "on ignore" said.

It takes a lot for me to put someone on ignore, When I do so it's because they simply will not see something from any other point of view than their own or their obviously trolling.

If your're one of those people who feel the need to tell EVERYONE that your ignoring someone consider that it might apear as a little immature.
If your going to ignore someone stick to your guns, ignore then and be done with it. Don't ignore someone then take little snips at them either.

Mark Uttech
04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I think that people are still learning how to communicate with themselves on the internet.

In gassho

Mark

mriehle
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I pretty much use the ignore button when someone posts prolifically and is clearly just being belligerent. Someone who habitually tries to pick fights with people who are here to have reasonable discussions.

Or someone who is always distracting the discussion with pointless off-topic digressions.

As for crowing over having ignored someone, isn't that just another sort of belligerence?

I'm happy to note that I can only recall having putting one person on my ignore list on Aikiweb, ever. There have been discussion groups I participated in where my ignore list had more the 100 entries gathered over time.

Hanna B
04-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Most people here describe what kind people end up in their ignore list by defining how these people behave. I'd rather explain it with things in me: I put people on my ignore list who too often trigger responses in me I don't like - like wanting to write angry, insulting response. I use the ignore function to lengthen my fuse, essentially.