PDA

View Full Version : Running a dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jem8472
10-15-2001, 01:53 PM
Hello all
At the moment I am toying with the idea of trying to get a small business loan and renting a small to medium sized building and to start a dojo. There is already a dojo where I live but it is not brilliant, most clubs only go there because there is nowhere else.

My question is this. Are there any people out there run a dojo that could supply me with some numbers (only rough) of how muchg it costs to rent the building. Where they make their money and how much.

I know I could ask the other dojo for some numbers but I don't think he will be very helpfull for obvious reasons.

Any help that anyone can give me will be very greatfuly received.

Jeremy

www.aikido-dynamic.co.uk

Jem8472@yahoo.com

Greg Jennings
10-15-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jem8472
Hello all

My question is this. Are there any people out there run a dojo that could supply me with some numbers (only rough) of how muchg it costs to rent the building.

The old saying is that three factors influence the cost of real estate:
1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

You'll also have to pay utilities (heat, light, telephone) unless they are included in the rent.

You'll need to do quite a bit of work to adapt commercial space to serve as a dojo: Paint, decor, dressing rooms, shoe rack, and, oh yeah, a mat.

If you share the space with another club, you'll have disagreements over fees, class days/times, classes running over, etc.

You'll need to set up separate bank accounts and a set of (accounting) books. Receipts, checks and other office supplies.

The worst issue, however, is how much time it takes. It takes a lot more time than you'd think.

My instructor and I went through all this drill for about a year. If his church hadn't given us space for free, we would still be talking about it vice training in it.

Later,

Jem8472
10-15-2001, 05:10 PM
Thanks for your reply, what I should have said in the orignal posting is that the current dojo we use is also used by lots and lots of other clubs and they all get on well. So I would be looking to do something like that. I would not be looking to run a dojo for just our Aikido club (could no way keep that running) but for any martial arts that wanted to pratcie.

All I want is some simple numbers to have a look at to see what sort of things other dojo's make their money on.

Jem