PDA

View Full Version : Shodokan Basic Movements

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dps
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Can anyone help with identifying the Dojo and Sensei of this clip.
Thank You
David

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=19224037697982550

Chuck Clark
03-26-2007, 09:16 PM
That footage was taken in the Jiyushinkan many years ago. That is Aaron Clark during a demonstration at our Shochugeiko training.

dps
03-27-2007, 03:41 AM
That footage was taken in the Jiyushinkan many years ago. That is Aaron Clark during a demonstration at our Shochugeiko training.

Thank you very much, I am very grateful.
David

davidafindlay
03-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi David,

Interesting to see that version of the unsoku undo and tegatana dosa. Is it similar to how you guys do it too?

Chuck, how about you guys? I guess it is the same, given its your dojo. It looks pretty old; similar to the version documented by Senta Yamada in his aikido book.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFRtBoJImU) is a version of Tomiki sensei doing some bits and pieces on youtube. Funnily enough, when I saw Tomiki sensei doing the unsoku like that the first time, I was really surprised. He does a couple of things I would definitely point out and correct when showing someone else!

Bit of a worry! :D

Regards,
Dave.

dps
03-27-2007, 04:10 AM
It is very similiar to what we use. The one differece that sticks out to me is Clark Sensei palm is forward on the hand and arm movements. I extend the hand blade out.

David

L. Camejo
03-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow that method of doing Tegatana Dosa appears quite dated indeed. Reminds me of the early black and white Tomiki and Ohba Sensei vids.

LC:ai::ki:

dps
03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Dave,
I have that video and find it fascinating.

Larry, Dave and Chuck,
How does the video clip that I posted differ in the way you guys practice unsoku.

Chuck Clark
03-27-2007, 10:27 PM
We do a set of movements that Miyake Tsunako Sensei put together using the old methods. We call it the tandoku undo. It gives us a learning set that has basic posture, movement, and extension of force through the arms in basic ways of pushing, cutting, and striking. It has evolved into movement that is very simple and direct with the force coming from intent, posture, movement, and dropping center of gravity all connected. Miyake Sensei was a well-known tai chi teacher also and the way we do this exercise is very "Chinese" in nature.

We have been doing this as one of our fundamental kata for over thirty years. I and many others do a daily practice of six times very slowly. Fortunately we're educable so it's effects are getting better and better. Polishing and more polishing...

Best regards,

L. Camejo
03-27-2007, 11:41 PM
How does the video clip that I posted differ in the way you guys practice unsoku.The Unsoku looked quite similar to what we practice. The only real difference I saw was that the straight forward and backward tsugi ashi steps (1st 8 movements) tended to be more diagonal than we do it. Our first 8 steps tend to be more along a straight line from the origin point. Having said that however I do remember being shown it being done the same way done in the video about 12 years ago or so.

Regarding the hand work it is very different to what we do but I recognise it from Tomiki's movements during the earlier times when he was still developing the kihon practices. Those movements appear in the video already mentioned as well as in one of his earlier books I believe. It's good to see where things came from and get an idea of the logic behind the evolution of the exercises imho.

LC:ai::ki:

dps
03-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I was visiting your website Mr.Clark (www.jiyushinkai.org) . My son and I enjoyed the cartoons by Brent Smith. Especially the first one about the newest martial art to come out of Japan.

David

mrfeldmeyer
03-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Clark Sensei,

How old is this video? It seems that the tandoku undo has been modified in many small ways since this video was taken. Either that, or our tandoku undo at Yobushin needs to change a bit.

Chuck Clark
03-30-2007, 08:28 AM
That video is from the early nineties. I'll pm you with details.

Dennis Hooker
03-30-2007, 09:04 AM

Actually that is my other son Aaron Hooker. Clark kidnapped him as a baby when we were crossing the great divide and were attacked by hostiles in skirts.

Chuck Clark
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
That must be why he has a hidden desire to sit on the front porch and tell lies while he's pickin...

He's moving into his new house today and tomorrow. It's right on the line between Snohomish and Monroe about 10 minutes north of Phil Relnick's house and dojo. I can hardly wait to get moved up there myself. The country is beautiful. I kinda don't mind the desert but I grew up in river country just like you did. There's something very primal about rivers...

Take care,