PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Please visit our sponsor:

Mike Hamer
03-21-2007, 02:09 AM
I finally trained with a bokken in Aikido class! I have been waiting for this since I began about ten months.

CitoMaramba
03-21-2007, 04:29 AM
I finally trained with a bokken in Aikido class! I have been waiting for this since I began about ten months.

Good for you! Did your bokken sing? :D
Someday I would like my bokken to belt out the "Habanera" from Bizet's "Carmen".. :p

Beard of Chuck Norris
03-21-2007, 07:22 AM
If you really want to do more stuff with sword why not try iai or kendo? I find them an invaluable addition to my aiki; i've only been doing aiki for a year or so but learning with the sword makes some of the hand movements in aikido, such as shiho nage, much more effective as they stem from sword work.

I hope you enjoy training with your bokken, 'twill probably be a few years before i can do some aikiken.

What kind of stuff do you (and others please!) with the sword? We tend to follow Tohei / Maruyama Sensei style. Shinkage ryu (sp.?). Exercises such as Happo giri: cuts in the eight directions of the compass and various suburi i think would be identical (to the untrained eye ;) )to other dojos.

peace and love

Jo

PS High there Cito. :)

Mike Hamer
03-24-2007, 05:51 PM
What kind of stuff do you (and others please!) with the sword?

:)

We practiced the same thing we did before with our hands, cutting up and down, rowing exercise style, but witht the bokken. Then we practiced a drill where one would stand with their sword held out, and someone else would step off to the right, inject into uke with the bokken. step off to the other side and do the same thing, repeat, repeat...

Marie Noelle Fequiere
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Good for you! Did your bokken sing? :D
Someday I would like my bokken to belt out the "Habanera" from Bizet's "Carmen".. :p

Did you think I was not going to see this? I KNEW somebody was going to tease me for that. And that was a good one, too.
Arigato!

CitoMaramba
03-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Did you think I was not going to see this? I KNEW somebody was going to tease me for that. And that was a good one, too.
Arigato!

Doitashimashite :D
And don't worry, with enough suburi, your bokken will find its (her?) voice!
"It ain't over until the fat bokken sings!"

Jess McDonald
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
You had to wait 10 damn months!! That's whack!! Anyway, at least you got it now! :)

Mike Hamer
04-10-2007, 09:21 AM
That is kind of insane, I'll agree, but I sort of have a heightned sense of appreciation for the swordwork now, because I had to wait so long to start it!

maxwelljones
04-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Aiki-ken is really very little like other kenjutsu, nevertheless, I appreciate the context that I get training with it. I'm not sure how many aikidoka also practice a sword art proper, but the dojo I train in also has kenjutsu sensei, whom I may wish to train with as well some day. There's at least one brown-belt I know whom I suspect trains with them as well.

I wonder how difficult an aikidoka would find teaching an iaidoka, or vice-versa.