PDA

View Full Version : forgot most

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Bowjamer
03-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I trained for about 6 months last year in Wisconsin and learned very little. They seemed to teach to much in too little time, being tossed around and confused on too many techniques in one night was'nt worth the money paid. I would like to find a dojo that takes time to teach the basics in a more timely manor that one can absorb and repeat them until you understand the why and what of that technique and the Japanese name for it and maybe some history too. Does anyone know of a Sensei and dojo in southeast Wisconsin that can give a hungry student this?

Kenji_08
03-17-2007, 04:29 PM
I dont know any. However, you could use this sites dojo finder.

I hope this helps

Happy training

odudog
03-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I think 6 months was not enough time. You should have stayed to learn more. If you had any concerns like you are displaying now, did you inform this to the Sensei or any advanced student there? Any other dojo might be the same way.

Part of the problem with learning Aikido today is the students mentality. Aikido is a 50 - 50 thing. The Sensei can't teach you everything there is to learn about the techniques. The student has to learn part of it on their own, catch part of during practice, or ask very specific questions. There are 2,664 techniques to learn and not enough time for the Sensei to verbally explain every little nuance.

Mark Uttech
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Aikido of Marshall has a 'barebones aikido basics ' class that runs on Saturdays from 10- noon. It's an option for you.

In gassho,

mark

Marc Kupper
04-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I trained for about 6 months last year in Wisconsin and learned very little. They seemed to teach to much in too little time, being tossed around and confused on too many techniques in one night was'nt worth the money paid. I would like to find a dojo that takes time to teach the basics in a more timely manor that one can absorb and repeat them until you understand the why and what of that technique and the Japanese name for it and maybe some history too. Does anyone know of a Sensei and dojo in southeast Wisconsin that can give a hungry student this?

Something to try is to talk about your frustration with the sensei or one of the advance students. It's possible the structure of what an instructor is trying to show is not apparent enough. Usually an Aikido class is "about" something and will be practiced from several (possibly many) different aspects. That can be pretty confusing for a new person who naturally would have no clue as to how to recognize what the "something" being practiced is.

We tell newcomers to our dojo "Don't try to learn anything for the first six months" with this in mind. Hopefully you will continue with just practicing and will start seeing the patterns. Good luck.

Marc