PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Colorado

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

KevCO
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi, I have recently started to study the Bokken. More of a dabble then a study. Anyway during this time I have had alot of question and have found the best place to answer them is the web. Well one of the websites that comes up when I do a search is this one. So why not become a member.

For my lasted quest I have to find out when "The only time that I would set my Katana behind me while in Seiza would be?"

My only thought would be prayer of some sort but I find I am unable to confirm that anywhere.

If you could help me out that, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Denver,CO.

gdandscompserv
03-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi, I have recently started to study the Bokken. More of a dabble then a study. Anyway during this time I have had alot of question and have found the best place to answer them is the web.
Hello Kevin,
I'm not sure the web is a very good place to study the Bokken. A dojo would be a much wiser choice.

KevCO
03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Presented with a question I have searched high and low for to no avail. Was told I was on the right path but hit a wall. In regards to sword training. While in seiza the sword placed in front, on right, on left depending on teachings and aggression etc. The question I was faced with is: "In what case would you lay the weapon Behind you?" I thought it had to do with a funeral ceremony etc. Is there ANYONE out there who knows the answer to this???
Thanks to all in advance.

KevCO
03-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Forgive me, Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I do study at a Dojo. My Sensei asked me to find the answer to the above question and I am unable to locate the answer. I was hoping to pick your brains. Sorry for the confusing.:D

The reason I say dabble is because it is rotating curriculum. So just about the time we start to get go at it, it goes away.:crazy:

Laurel Seacord
03-09-2007, 09:59 PM
This is what my teacher told us:

"Now when you are walking around wearing your sword, and you drop in on an acquaintance, what do you do with your sword? Someone you trust completely, you give them the sword to keep for you until you leave. Someone not quite to that level of trust, you put the sword behind where you are sitting, the most difficult place to reach. And next, to your right side, which will take two movements to be ready to strike. And the worst position, the one showing that you want to be able to strike instantly is the one we use here in the dojo, to your left side." (here is the blog entry) (http://shinshintoitsu.blogspot.com/2005/09/seishinkan-k-sensei.html)

You would not want to place the sword in front of you where the other person would be able to reach it first.

KevCO
03-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, after some prying I got him to say "you wouldn't do this unless you were in a palace." Hope this helps,but at this point I have pretty much given up on finding the answer.:(

Diane Firestone
03-10-2007, 11:11 PM
My instructor has asked the class to research 'when is the only time you would put your sword on the ground behind you, while in seiza.' I've read many interesting postings on AikiWeb, but none answer this question. Any ideas?

gdandscompserv
03-11-2007, 10:52 AM
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303

KevCO
03-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Interesting website Ricky. A wealth of info just in that one thread alone. Unfortunately I only found where they are speaking of 'attackers' from the 4 angles. Thanks for the effort. It really is MUCH appreciated. :D

Lambdadragon
04-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Kevin and Diane,

Where in Denver do you practice?

Regards, David

KevCO
04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
We actually study Tae Kwon Do with Mile High. The bokken is part of an advanced curicullum that we are in.

Our instructor has studied the Japanese arts for quite some time so he requires us to have a little more knowledge then most. He is aways posing impossible question on us to figure out.

sorry for the delay in responding.

KevCO
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah....the answer to the question was.....in the Shinto religion you place you katana on the floor behind you as a show of respect at a funeral.