PDA

View Full Version : Book or resource on etiquette.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Adam Alexander
03-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Hello,

Do you know of any book or resource on Japanese etiquette for MAs that you'd highly recommend? Or, something that's general, but very thorough? Would you share the name of it please?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

odudog
03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Each style, Sensei, and dojo have their own etiquette rules so finding a book that would have all the answers is kind of impossible. Just ask your Sensei for the rules pertaining to your dojo or style.

Robert Wolfe
03-09-2007, 10:10 AM
For an excellent, general (but very wide-ranging) guide, pick up a copy of Dave Lowry's recent book, In the Dojo.

MM
03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
For an excellent, general (but very wide-ranging) guide, pick up a copy of Dave Lowry's recent book, In the Dojo.

This is the book I'm currently reading. And yes, it's an excellent book, IMO.

Mark

crbateman
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Ditto on In the Dojo...

Just remember that each school may have its own take, so best to feel your way through. Remember that if you act humble and respectful at all times, no one will take issue with a minor faux pas. They'll just politely correct you, or ignore it altogether.

Eric Webber
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Dependig on exactly what you are looking for (historic accuracy of Samurai expected behavior, instructions on proper interactions, examples of proper bowing methods, etc.) you may look in variety of places for examples as well as instruction. I might recommend:
1. Bushido, I. Nitobe
2. Zen and Japanese Culture, D. Suzuki
3. Ideals of the Samurai, W. Wilson
4. Analects, Confucius (various trans. available)

On a lighter note I would rent Karate Kid I & II, The Last Samurai, and the Seven Samurai, get some popcorn and beer (though be careful when watching subtitles while imbibing, can have regurgitating results), and get crazy.

aikidoc
03-09-2007, 03:36 PM
It's been a long time since I read it but it seems like Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere might have a section on it.

Adam Alexander
03-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Eric Webber
03-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Second round of recommendations:

1. The Unfettered Mind, Takuan
2. Code of the Samurai, Cleary
3. Martial Meditations, Kim and Back (almost impossible to find, but good read)
4. 47 Ronin (any translation or variation)

Hope these help provide you with the insight you're looking for; happy hunting!

eric

crbateman
03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
3. Martial Meditations, Kim and Back (almost impossible to find, but good read)
This is a good one. Full title: Martial Meditation: Philosophy and the Essence of the Martial Arts

Numerous copies available on Amazon, Abebooks, and Biblio, all in the twenty-odd dollar range.

Josh Reyer
03-10-2007, 09:11 AM
What is really needed is for someone to do a translation of Nonaka Hifumi's Budo no Reihou (http://www.aikinews.com/catalog/productdetails.php?code=nonaka01) (Budo Etiquette). Excellent, comprehensive book. Teaches you how to open a damn door the right way. :)

crbateman
03-10-2007, 11:05 AM
What is really needed is for someone to do a translation of Nonaka Hifumi's Budo no Reihou (http://www.aikinews.com/catalog/productdetails.php?code=nonaka01) (Budo Etiquette). Excellent, comprehensive book. Teaches you how to open a damn door the right way. :)
So... What are you doing for the next few weeks, Josh??? ;)

Eric Webber
03-10-2007, 11:36 AM
This is a good one. Full title: Martial Meditation: Philosophy and the Essence of the Martial Arts

Numerous copies available on Amazon, Abebooks, and Biblio, all in the twenty-odd dollar range.

Wow, excellent to hear to it is now available through popular sources. Was hard to come by when I was securing it. Dr. Allen Back was my Asian Philosophy professor at Kutztown University, used a chapter or two out the book without ever telling us he wrote it (he had copied the chapter and cited Dr. Kim as the author). Really good stuff, worth securing.

Sharon Seymour
03-10-2007, 01:40 PM
New from Dave Lowry: In the Dojo: The rituals and etiquette of the Japanese martial arts. Highly Recommended by this Aikidoka and librarian!

Don_Modesto
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
This may speak more directly to your request than the classics on MUSHIN, et al:

http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-Training-Japan-Source/dp/0804832706/ref=sr_1_2/103-5232992-9719058?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173725925&sr=8-2

Martial Arts Training in Japan: A Guide to the Source by David E. Jones (Paperback - Jul 1, 2001)
See 44 offers from $0.46

I skimmed it a long time ago, but I think it talks about etiquette. Get it through ILL for a look before purchase (if you can't afford 46 cents...)