PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Hakama?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

divinecedar
02-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Can anyone recommend a quality (yet cheap...think starving college student:hypno: ) hakama? Where is the best place to look? Thanks!

Kent Enfield
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Tetron hakama (http://www.bogubag.com/Uniforms/Kendo/uniforms_kendo_hakama.html).

p00kiethebear
02-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Every time I see a student with their cheap karate depot hakama, the only look I see on their face is disappointment and a bit of embarrassment.

If you can afford a cheap hakama, you can afford to save your money for a few more months until you can purchase a custom fit one. It will fit perfectly and look great. And no one will make fun of your poorly pressed, if not non-existent pleats.

Be patient. Aikido is not the path to a pair of pants.

ChrisMoses
02-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Tetron hakama (http://www.bogubag.com/Uniforms/Kendo/uniforms_kendo_hakama.html).

Hmm, hopefully this doesn't double post got a script error the first time...

I second this recommendation, this isn't a cheap Kurottey store hakama, tetron is a great fabric for a hakama and bogubag is a great store. Probably one of the best deals you'll find.

Kent Enfield
02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
If you can afford a cheap hakama, you can afford to save your money for a few more months until you can purchase a custom fit one. It will fit perfectly and look great. And no one will make fun of your poorly pressed, if not non-existent pleats.As Japanese clothes, including hakama, are all of one size fits many design, unless your body is of rather unusual dimensions, all you need to worry about is getting the right length. Unless you're tremendously fat, the only modification to off the rack hakama you need is extra-long himo. The only reason to get tailor-fit hakama is so you can say that you have tailor-fit hakama.

While, at least in kendo, most people eventually move on to all-cotton hakama dyed with natural indigo, tetro hakama are great, especially for beginners. In iaido, at least the groups I've practiced with, the regular training uniform is often tetron, even for kodansha. It's durable, extremely low maintenance, usually looks pretty decent, and for arts that do suwari-waza, it doesn't go all shiny at the knees. Though no longer my regular hakama, I still use my tetron hakama from BoguBag from time to time.

I didn't post a link a to "karate depot hakama."