PDA

View Full Version : What has aikido caused you to do?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

gdandscompserv
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Move my family and I to a foreign country.
Buy mats and open a dojo so I would have a place to train.
Conscript 2 of my son's into 'uchi-deshi'.
Plan vacation time around aikido seminars.
Be a healthier, happier, person.

And you?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/deserthippie/peace.gif

Kevin Beyer
02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
:ai: :ki: :do: has made me a better person!

Tinyboy344
02-10-2007, 04:41 PM
hasn't done anything to me... yet or have I not realized it!

Hanna B
02-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Aikido made me move to a bigger city to get better and more training.

Aikido also made me spend years in social structures that honestly sucked (on and off mat), which made me unhappy and frustrated.

CNYMike
02-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Visit Montreal, which I hadn't done since my car was totaled there in 1996, for a USAF seminar.

Nousha
02-11-2007, 06:12 AM
* get to know people from Switzerland, Itlay, Giboti, Malta, Turkey, Hungary, France, UK, USA,,,,,
* made me return home at -almost- midnight

Eric Webber
02-11-2007, 12:11 PM
...evaluate how I live my life outside of the dojo.

Janet Rosen
02-11-2007, 03:16 PM
be less klutzy
confront fears I previously would/could not
blow out my knee
meet folks and make friends from around the world
help me develop, integrate and/or better articulate certain beliefs/attitudes (per my columns here)
start a microbusiness sewing aikido goods
find out I really hate the taste of scotch, however expensive
learn otherwise useless Japanese phrases

Wombat
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I have not been practicing long but I am certainly becoming more nimble already. Everyone I have met in conjunction with Aikido has been really friendly and happy. If this is what lies ahead for me, then I can't see a down side.

sbrocklebank
02-11-2007, 05:12 PM
1. to post on this web place
2. to walk around work, home, town everywhere practicing tai-sabaki no matter what/how folks look at me!
3. to do the rowing exersize for 25 mins. haven't made sensei's arbetrary 40 mins yet. but will do :)
4. ask friends to grab my wrist to see if i could do shiho nage or ikkyo or whatever on them...!

sim

DH
02-11-2007, 06:34 PM
After attending a few of Kazuo Chiba's seminars years ago and watching his antics, then having a little run-in, I left Aikido. It was already getting dicey for me as the measure of cooperation needed from me to let men do their schtick was just ridiculous.
I'd go on record in saying that Chiba is thee reason I left Aikido for good. I found his behaviour to be repugnant, the personification of all that is wrong with the art.
See Dobson and Arikawa thread here.

A few years ago I had an Aikido teacher ask me why I was so against aikido. I told him I wasn't against aikido I had high hopes for it. Then I had these certain experiences. I had not even finished getting the word Chiba out of my mouth when he raised his hand and said "Say no more. I understand."
So what did Aikido cause me to do?
Leave.
Dan

David Humm
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Aikido has "caused" me to meet some of the nicest most genuine people I've ever met and, a few low-life scumbag parasites. They know who they are. :rolleyes:

gdandscompserv
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Leave.
Dan
Sounds like Chiba sensei caused you to leave rather than aikido itself.
However, I can relate. I learned aikdio from one magnificent sensei. After returning to America and experiencing several disappointing aikido teachers I became very disheartened. Once again just reinforcing the concept that the people are the ones that make an art what it is. That is why it is so important for good people to continue in the art. If you want to feel and experience exemplars of excellence in both technique and heart I suggest training with the following people based on my own experience.

Moriteru Ueshiba Doshu
Iwao Yamaguchi Sensei (my sensei, whom I miss terribly)
Kevin Choate Sensei
George Ledyard Sensei
Patty Saotome Sensei
Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei

Gernot Hassenpflug
02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Caused me to go out and find knowledge, and realize what a trap Asian hierarchies are. The basic premise to go by is that a teacher won't teach the real deal, and that should be indirectly gotten from someone who is teaching something else (which he won't teach you) but is not protecting that particular thing you're after from him. This doesn't go just for Aikido of course, but the dojo was where I realized this most clearly, by seeing the difference between the few with inside knowledge, and those without. As soon as I learnt some basics (badly, still) from elsewhere (Akuzawa) all that insider knowledge that a few had became worthless (though still magnificent when arrayed against the ignorance of the rest of the practitioners).

Tim Fong
02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Gernot,
You are describing what intelligence analysts do with "open sources" , i.e. non classified material. If they can assemble enough pieces of non-classified info (from various sources) they can infer the classified/non released information.

To paraphrase Gibson, the information is there, it's just not widely distributed yet.

PeterR
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
all that insider knowledge that a few had became worthless (though still magnificent when arrayed against the ignorance of the rest of the practitioners).
Yet you still train there - why?

Mike Hamer
02-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Aikido has made me realize what I want to do for the rest of my life.

batemanb
02-12-2007, 06:32 AM
get drunk, very often...........at least whilst I was living in Japan.

gdandscompserv
02-12-2007, 07:07 AM
get drunk, very often...........at least whilst I was living in Japan.
lol
they do enjoy drinking.:)

Jorge Garcia
02-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Aikido has caused me to realize that I could do a lot of things I would have believed in the past that I couldn't do. Due to circumstances, I was forced to start a dojo 3 years ago so I could keep training under my Shihan.
I shouldn't have been able to succeed and everything was against me because I had a low rank, no money and no contacts. Today, I have two dojos with 80 students. I am teaching Aikido full time and 12 dojos joined the Association that I started and we are still growing. In this endeavor, I learned that I shouldn't be afraid to do what it seems I shouldn't be able to do. With this lesson in hand, I am reaching out again in another crazy idea (a personal endeavor) but it was my experience in Aikido that has given me the courage to try.
Best wishes,
Jorge

gdandscompserv
02-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks for sharing that one Jorge.

Jorge Garcia
02-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for sharing that one Jorge.

Thanks Ricky,
I guess the lesson is that it's ok to dream- your dream might come true!
best,
Jorge

crbateman
02-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Aikido has caused me to go broke building an Aikido book collection... :D

Seriously, though, I cannot think of a single aspect of my life or my thinking that has not been influenced in some way by Aikido. It has also afforded me the opportunity to meet some of the finest and most genuine people it has ever been my good fortune to encounter.

mriehle
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Start a dojo in Rio Vista, CA. This town is too small, in theory, to support a dojo, but I'm working on defying the odds.
Drag my wife and kids to the dojo four times a week.
Spend lots of money on uniforms, weapons, books, videos, etc.
Give up some bad habits.
Start some bad habits.
Rethink my software development career (I'm not a fan of the Silicon Valley Work Ethic).

My wife just went through a weekend-intensive introduction to Aikido. It's a brutal way to start Aikido, but she seems to have actually enjoyed it. At least now she's training herself rather than just being a taxi for the kids.

Nafis Zahir
02-12-2007, 02:59 PM
After attending a few of Kazuo Chiba's seminars years ago and watching his antics, then having a little run-in, I left Aikido. It was already getting dicey for me as the measure of cooperation needed from me to let men do their schtick was just ridiculous.
I'd go on record in saying that Chiba is thee reason I left Aikido for good. I found his behaviour to be repugnant, the personification of all that is wrong with the art.
See Dobson and Arikawa thread here.

A few years ago I had an Aikido teacher ask me why I was so against aikido. I told him I wasn't against aikido I had high hopes for it. Then I had these certain experiences. I had not even finished getting the word Chiba out of my mouth when he raised his hand and said "Say no more. I understand."
Leave.
Dan

After experiencing some disappointments, it was Chiba Sensei that made me love training all over again. I guess to each his own. He is very serious about the art and sticking to the basics. But we all have to do what we all to do for ourselves. You may not like Chiba Sensei, but if you like Aikido, come back and train with someone else.

Aikido has made me:

Travel alot more
Spend more money
Lose weight
Stretch
Avoid all confrontations at all cost!

aikidjoe
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
It's hard for me to say how Aikido has changed me. I have been training since I was a small child (7 yrs, am now 21) and it has always been a constant force on my life. I can say Aikido teachers have have caused me to reflect on myself and to instigate change in that way. I recall just last summer Bookman Sensei tearing every inch of pride I had attained for my aikido over the last year of training (tangent alert: while I grew up in Seattle and so trained under Bookman Sensei for a number of years, I go to school at the Univ. of Colo, Boulder now and so train with Ikeda Sensei and Hofmeister Sensei while in school. Thus, I have mainly trained with Bookman Sensei during the summer the last 4 years, though I still consider him my teacher in more ways than one), causing me to reflect on myself and in turn bettering my humanity and aikido as a whole. I think it is less the Aikido and more the teacher whom is directing you that has a greater influence on changes within you.

Gernot Hassenpflug
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Gernot,
You are describing what intelligence analysts do with "open sources" , i.e. non classified material. If they can assemble enough pieces of non-classified info (from various sources) they can infer the classified/non released information.

To paraphrase Gibson, the information is there, it's just not widely distributed yet.

I think it's the only way to go. In the West perhaps the idea of looking for 10 years for a good teacher is not so relevant, since teachers teach. A sensei is not expected to and does not do so. The whole idea of a student doing this is part of the education that a sensei *expects*. To not do so and remain in the fold is kind of like failing a basic 2-digit IQ test. This is not the same as recognizing quality and the real deal (e.g., "basic" exercises) and sticking with them while others go to look for more esoteric things.

DonMagee
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Aikido gave me a great gift. It got me interested in judo, this lead me to bjj and MMA. I can't thank my instructor enough for showing me something I love.

Jill N
02-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I travel a lot more than I used to.
e ya later
Jill

Nafis Zahir
02-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Interesting this is one more thing I heard that says Chiba sensei isn't all he's cracked up to be. Maybe one day I'll visit his school and see if these rumors are true.

You are so sadly mistaken.

Gernot Hassenpflug
02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I've heard scary things about Chiba sensei too, things that many here would say are evil. OK. I also had the chance to train with some of his students, who were very good. But, that's all relative to what I knew then and I guess to what aikido in the West knew then. I have no doubt that Chiba sensei trains hard, as do many aikido dojos. Nobody is disputing that. There are also people Chiba sensei is afraid of, funny as that may sound to those who've trained with him. Nobody knows it all. I've also heard that the only person who can do Chiba sensei's aikido is... Chiba sensei. He doesn't have any deshi who can do aikido the way he does. Doesn't that ring a bell for some people?

DH
02-13-2007, 03:49 AM
I've heard scary things about Chiba sensei too, things that many here would say are evil.
I didn't have to hear it. I've seen it. Student abuse is what it is. And in a mild, cooperative art, like Aikido- its particularly ugly. Making students edgy due to your unpredictable behavious is best done in a fighting non-cooperative format. One where you give as you get, with feints and change-ups. Not with them offering some stupid big shomen. I'd have paid good money to see that little twerp try any of his shannanigans on half a dozen guys I knew then. He'd be in the dumpster out back.
I like the story on the Dobson Arikawa thread of that Danish guy who was, (on-the-mat) the frequent Uke at the Aikikai. And who also, (off the mat) hung abusive Aikikai men out the window, till they straightened out. Some younger men have a false perception of the abilities of a teacher and even when witnessing abusive behaviour can't clearly recognize it for what it is. Ya can't pull that crap in a fight club. Its a fundementaly more honest exchange.

I've also heard that the only person who can do Chiba sensei's aikido is... Chiba sensei. He doesn't have any deshi who can do aikido the way he does.
Trust me, thats a good thing......
Dan

Gernot Hassenpflug
02-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Agreed. It's strange how back then we all thought that was the way the good stuff worked. And that, if we trained the way we thought we should, we would get there some day too :-)

skinnymonkey
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Caused me to start my own podcast!

http://www.usaikido.com/

Jeff D.