PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a noob in Cambridge, MA

Please visit our sponsor:

AmandaGareis
02-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi there!

So, I studied seido karate for about a year a few years back, but eventually dropped it, mostly for money reasons, but a lot of other things as well. Then I started ballet as an adult, but again, after about a year of 3 or 4x a week training, I ended up getting a sprain and then a sinus infection (no balance!) which kept me out of class. Then new medicines added 30 lbs to my frame. I still look okay in clothes, but those tights are heartbreaking! :crazy: I haven't gone back yet.

But I need to exercise. I hate the gym and machines and I loved and craved the dicipline and pacing of a ballet or karate class. I also loved that focused "monkey-see/monkey-do, then monkey evolves and grows" aspect of both arts. You do what you are told, and then you start to learn on the inside what your muscles are being instructed in on the outside. Both arts were a haven for my rattling ADD-riddled over-stuffed pre-med mind.

So I started looking into martial arts again. I am a Quaker and I didn't want to just be whaling on people in competitions. In a search for the seeming oxymoron of "nonviolent" and "martial arts" I stumbled across aikido and have been reading and studying avidly. I visited New England Aikikai and watched a class and was impressed by the gentle, kind, cooperative and joyful atmosphere. A funny thing has happened in the past few days as my enthusiasm has grown. I am a very poor, working full-time, going to school half-time student and I was bummed because it will take a few months to get together the aprox. $200 initial outlay. (The $90 a month fee I could swing with some trimming elsewhere in the budget.) But suddenly--I want to go to the gym! That horrible feared, accursed place! And I bought a jumprope, to use at home. The gym at school is almost free and I am going to make a commitment to go to 3 yoga classes or workouts a week for two months, and at the end, sign up for aikido. Then, I'll be a tad more in shape and flexible, and I'll have two months of commitment already under my belt.

I am excited and nervous and apprehensive of the embarassment of my first classes (I am such a klutz and a kinesthetically slow learner, and my 5'9 165 lb self is always in the way) but in the meantime I'm going to keep soaking up the info and conversation here. Thanks!

akiy
02-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

NagaBaba
02-07-2007, 06:53 PM
New England Aikikai is wonderfull place, it is the best choice for aikido practice :) I have one advice -- you must practice VERY regulary, no matter what happens in Real Life. In the beginning it is easy to be discouraged by many things, but never give up.

Tracy Van Zandt
03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Welcome! I'm brand new to the forums also, but you're approximately from my part of the world, so I thought I'd say hello.
I only started Aikido about 6 months ago, and people were very patient and understanding about my awkwardness -- everyone was there once, don't worry about it too much.
I train up at Woburn Aikikai, you're welcome to drop in sometime and visit us :)