PDA

View Full Version : hello

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

sbrocklebank
02-01-2007, 06:14 PM
hi,
new here and new to aikido, studied karate and jujitsu for 3 years when i was 17 or so. i am really struggeling to get some of these techniques to work and often leave the dojo unsure as to whether i have made any progress at all! is that normal or am i just thick?
sensei talks about the importance of observation, but as a beginner there seems to be so much going on. what do you look AT or FOR?
sometimes uke will just fall over or whatever leaving me wondering whether they just fell over out of being nice or i did it correctly while other times i am unable to shift the bugger!!!
i know there are no short cuts but only being able to practice for 3 1.5-2hr sessions seems really little. what can i do at home to train?

any thoughts guys?

simes

crbateman
02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Relax... Rome was not built in a day. Your Aikido will not be, either. Look out the window and enjoy the scenery. It's a long ride.

Eddie Heinzelman
02-01-2007, 09:30 PM
At home, I practice basic exercises, directional drills, rowing excercise, sumi-hanmi-waza, irimi, tenkans, jo kata, bokken, and visualize as many of the techniques as I can to work on footwork (iriminage, kote gaeshi, ikkyo, etc.). It takes awhile to really see progress, but as I become more confident with the basics, I feel better during the techniques. Relax and don't get frustrated. Frustration only gets in the way.

Tinyboy344
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
...really struggling to get some of these techniques to work and often leave the dojo unsure as to whether i have made any progress at all! ...
simes
man... I always leave the dojo unsure :confused: . "That's why we keep coming back" my sensei said...

Franco
02-02-2007, 01:57 PM
When you watch your instructor demonstrate a technique, first pay attention to the footwork, then the torso.

Roman Kremianski
02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I think you might as well quit now.

Hehe, I'm kidding. Welcome to the forums, and keep training. When I started Aikido, I found it more confusing then interesting. So I kept coming back. Soon it became more interesting then confusing, but still 98% confusing. :)

That's what Budo is to me...spending thousands of hours of my life training to understand a concept I'm not sure I'll ever understand anyway. :drool: