PDA

View Full Version : brutal brown belts

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

mut
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
n our organization we have a saying "brutal brown belts" this is because, from red to brown belt you have a million oppertunities to grade, there is always courses on, however once you get brown you have to wait untill sensei picks you to do your shodan, this could take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. so my point, there is an average of 4 in every 100 brown belts get picked so everyone gets this brutal head on whenever sensei is around, they start smashing people in to the mat and ripping peoples arms off sweating testosterone from every orifice and then smiling at sensei as if to say "LOOK AT MY AIKIDO DOS'NT IT ROCK" sensei must be wetting himself inside but he manages to keep a straight face,the best thing is when you are brown belt you dont even realize you doing it its fantastic to watch.the wurst thing is not to long ago i was one of them. has anyone else noticed this, in your organization. :ai: :D :) ;) evileyes

crbateman
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Most people refer to this phenomenon as "brown belt syndrome". It is often accompanied by the irresistible urge to teach everyone without provocation.

Michael Meister
01-29-2007, 12:15 AM
n our organization we have a saying "brutal brown belts" this is because, from red to brown belt you have a million oppertunities to grade, there is always courses on, however once you get brown you have to wait untill sensei picks you to do your shodan, this could take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. so my point, there is an average of 4 in every 100 brown belts get picked so everyone gets this brutal head on whenever sensei is around, they start smashing people in to the mat and ripping peoples arms off sweating testosterone from every orifice and then smiling at sensei as if to say "LOOK AT MY AIKIDO DOS'NT IT ROCK" sensei must be wetting himself inside but he manages to keep a straight face,the best thing is when you are brown belt you dont even realize you doing it its fantastic to watch.the wurst thing is not to long ago i was one of them. has anyone else noticed this, in your organization. :ai: :D :) ;) evileyes

If it would be in another section I probably would have been able to tell you, it is about realising that your techniques are rubbish. It is also about trying to make them work, with intent in a martial way. I would have been able to tell you, that the way to understanding, how it is done, unfortunately for most people is through brutal aggression. But as you put it in the humor section, I cannot share this wisdom with you, for it is far to serious.
All I can tell you is:
EAT MY DUST!
CU tonight.

Kampfussel
02-01-2007, 06:21 AM
A good way to cure people of the brutal brownbelt syndrome is to give them to the dan grades at their club and let the dan grades have some fun. We sometimes refer to the more senior kyu grades as mat fodder. It's just good to remind them of their place sometimes. You can also use the excuse that you're helping them to apply techniques is ever more inventive and unpleasant ways. At least thats what I do. lol..... Harmoniously of course. I'm off to get beaten up by a 3rd dan tonight. Ta ta.

raul rodrigo
02-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Chris is right. the easiest way to tame them is to remind the brownbelts rather forcefully of their place in the food chain.

Michael Meister
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM
A good way to cure people of the brutal brownbelt syndrome is to give them to the dan grades at their club and let the dan grades have some fun. We sometimes refer to the more senior kyu grades as mat fodder. It's just good to remind them of their place sometimes. You can also use the excuse that you're helping them to apply techniques is ever more inventive and unpleasant ways. At least thats what I do. lol..... Harmoniously of course. I'm off to get beaten up by a 3rd dan tonight. Ta ta.

Of course sometimes the black belts get run over by brown belts in 2 on 1 randori....

Selnith
02-12-2007, 02:38 AM

but i'm only little and you all seem to take great pleasure in beating me to a pulp

Dirk Hanss
02-12-2007, 06:34 AM
but i'm only little and you all seem to take great pleasure in beating me to a pulp

Dear Krystyna,

you should complain only, if you are smaller than O'Sensei was. (some 150 cm)

But even if you can't beat up those bullies, there are some strategies to get help.

For example you can ask a very good aikidoka to get your partners right after you. On a simple hint your 'white knight' can treat them as they treated you. Very gentle or a bit less gentle.

Or you ask sensei for help. Tell him about your problem. Then, if you are treated badly, you just ask sensei "Could you please tell me, how to take ukemi without getting hurt?" He will then give a short explanation and then shows the technique on your partner in a very hard execution form. Then he can say "Well, if your skills are not good enough, nage should perform the technique more gently and softly."

That should help, unless an idiot thinks, he should perform the technique exactly as sensei showed. Then you need another strategy :hypno:

Cheers

Dirk

mriehle
02-12-2007, 10:58 AM
A good way to cure people of the brutal brownbelt syndrome is to give them to the dan grades at their club and let the dan grades have some fun.

I've flat out told brown belts that a brown belt is a license to be abused by yudansha. Particularly if said brown belt is being worn by someone ages 13-20.

I like to use brown belts for practice on koshi nage. For the record, I can't actually do koshi nage, but I'm working on it. Brown belts are perfect "practice partners". ;)

(SLAM!!! No that wasn't right, let me try that again. WHAM!! Still not quite right, one more time...)

Michael Meister
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM

It's not like you would want it any other way ;) ,

Selnith
02-17-2007, 01:32 PM
It's not like you would want it any other way ;) ,

well no, i guess not, but still... stuff...ness...i don' know i've done 2 mock gradings today (but i did get to koshi half the class) and my ankle hurts, be nice to me!

Michael Meister
02-21-2007, 11:10 AM
well no, i guess not, but still... stuff...ness...i don' know i've done 2 mock gradings today (but i did get to koshi half the class) and my ankle hurts, be nice to me!

I'm by definitin a nice person and nice to everyone, even with a brown belt on. ;-)

mut
02-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm by definitin a nice person and nice to everyone, even with a brown belt on. ;-)

dream on her doctor, nice means you have to be pleasant with people..:) :ai:

Budd
02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
I always enjoy the opportunity of having yudansha show me my place.

Ron Tisdale
02-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Ha! good luck to the yudansha! ;)

B,
R

Michael Meister
02-24-2007, 02:04 AM
dream on her doctor, nice means you have to be pleasant with people..:) :ai:

So, you want to say, I am not pleasant? I am pleasant and have a smile for everyone! :D

mut
02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
So, you want to say, I am not pleasant? I am pleasant and have a smile for everyone! :D

ahh but what lurks behind that smile,,evileyes :circle:

Michael Meister
02-28-2007, 11:41 AM
ahh but what lurks behind that smile,,evileyes :circle:

joy and pleasure of course ;-)

Tony Wagstaffe
02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Never had any problem..... Wait till I got them outside of the dojo on the pretext of something else and gave them a thorough pasting.... end of Bully Brown Belt:eek: evileyes

Budd
02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Eh, I'd rather keep it in the dojo and on the mat and invite people to give me a thorough pasting if they want to . . . I'll even buy the beers afterwards.

Tony Wagstaffe
03-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Eh, I'd rather keep it in the dojo and on the mat and invite people to give me a thorough pasting if they want to . . . I'll even buy the beers afterwards.

Yes I would agree but it doesn't always work that way! With some individuals its best kept private so they don't suffer the humiliation!
I will offer my hand and a beer..... if accepted! different people different strokes!:straightf

Budd
03-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Sometimes humiliation (dished out with a smile, followed by a hand and beer) itself is a good reality check, speaking from my own experience on both sides. It helps bare the ego (which can be the worst barrier to learning).

John A Butz
03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Budd, I have no desire to see your bare ego....

;)

Budd
03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
;)

*ZING*

Now that WOULD be BRUTAL!

er, I'm glad this is the humor section . . . even if mine barely rates as an example . . . and don't get me started on skirt freestylin' . . .

Hey, look over there, it's Keanu Reeves!!

mut
03-03-2007, 04:03 PM

;)you have a bare ego, is that like a naked ego, i think one of my students, well 2 actually like naked egos.(michael miester and steve handford),maybe they have a desire to see a naked ego:D :yuck: :ai:

mut
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
you have a bare ego, is that like a naked ego, i think one of my students, well 2 actually like naked egos.(michael miester and steve handford),maybe they have a desire to see a naked ego:D :yuck: :ai:

infact krystyna if your out there dont you like naked egos:eek:

Michael Meister
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
you have a bare ego, is that like a naked ego, i think one of my students, well 2 actually like naked egos.(michael miester and steve handford),maybe they have a desire to see a naked ego:D :yuck: :ai:

All I got to do to see a naked ego, is look into a mirror... or at my instructor on mondays :-D

mut
03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
:circle: All I got to do to see a naked ego, is look into a mirror... or at my instructor on mondays :-D

at your instructor on mondays................wow and what a naked ego that is............you must be blessed to be able to look at a naked ego as fine as that one...:)

Michael Meister
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
:circle:

at your instructor on mondays................wow and what a naked ego that is............you must be blessed to be able to look at a naked ego as fine as that one...:)

It is quite hard not getting overwhelmed in the beginning, but after a while you get used to it...

Selnith
03-05-2007, 02:36 AM
infact krystyna if your out there dont you like naked egos:eek:

it's not so much that i like them, i'm used to them, i'd have to be, i seem to attract them.:eek: :eek: they're not entirely a bad thing though, so i guess we could say yes i do like them.:eek:

mut
03-05-2007, 05:10 AM
It is quite hard not getting overwhelmed in the beginning, but after a while you get used to it...

good answer............well done:D :ai:

mut
03-05-2007, 05:11 AM
it's not so much that i like them, i'm used to them, i'd have to be, i seem to attract them.:eek: :eek: they're not entirely a bad thing though, so i guess we could say yes i do like them.:eek:

as ive said to michael...............damm good answer:D :ai:

Selnith
03-05-2007, 05:56 AM
as ive said to michael...............damm good answer:D :ai:

i thought so, and that's before breakfast too, fear my mental prowess

Budd
03-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Er . . . it does involve beer, right?!

mut
03-05-2007, 07:59 AM
:ai: Er . . . it does involve beer, right?!

of course, silly question..............:eek: :D :)

mut
03-05-2007, 08:01 AM
is there any brown belts out there who would like to defend against the brutal brown belt theory...?

Budd
03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm a brown belt and I work to use as little force as I can, regardless of who I'm working with. I think as to your generalization -- it's going to depend on the dojo/environment. If the brown belts are a problem at your dojo, then it's likely a top-down issue that needs to be addressed.

mut
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm a brown belt and I work to use as little force as I can, regardless of who I'm working with. I think as to your generalization -- it's going to depend on the dojo/environment. If the brown belts are a problem at your dojo, then it's likely a top-down issue that needs to be addressed.

good answer............why address it it gives us all something to laugh at, and it isnt just my dojo , ive trained from england to germany and almost all the brown belts ive seen are the same, there is the odd exception.......you sound like you one of them:circle:

Michael Meister
03-05-2007, 11:41 AM

you write like you talk, but at least this way, I can follow you.

John A Butz
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Serious answer.

In my expirence, a brown belt is just starting to "get it" and that often leads to an ego inflation, followed by the type of "brutality" described here in this thread. I mean, after years of not being able to get stuff to work consistently, of being corrected every time you grab a senior, endless belt tests and repetions, the stuff is finally starting to make sense and you can start to open up. The training wheels have come off, as it were, and you want to see what this machine can do. A certain amount of this is, in my opinion, not a bad thing, so long as no one is injured or pushed to far in the practice. Can't stress this enough. Hard practice, with some slamming and banging is good. Hard practice, with long lasting pain and injury and juniors who are afraid to work with the seniors is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

However, if the brown belt student has a sensei and sempai who are providing good feedback and modeling proper behavior on the mat, the "wild oats" period should be short lived. The brown belt should be following the example of his/her sensei, who should be working to build folks and provide honest, ego free feedback, without the need to inflict pain.

When I was a brown belt, I was arrogant and thought I was the bee's knees( a trait which stayed with me well past my brown belt, alas). It was a stage that I had to work through, and a lot of it came from a lack of confidence in my abilities. As I trained with folks from outside of my small pond, and continued to realize the depths of my ignorance (assisted at times by some very convincing reality checks, from both my seniors and my juniors, designed to illustrate just how little I really knew) I stopped thinking I was a big fish, and started to get back to training for mastery. I think I am actually a better person and aikidoka because of the expirence.

So, in short, it's a phase, a stage of growth, that very few folks totaly avoid. S'ok to play a little rough at times, but no one should ever be hurt because of it.

Budd
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
John, that's way too serious an answer for the 'humor' section. Don't make me show you my bare ego . . . ;)

Why correct the problem? To address mut's questions, well a few reasons:

1) It can generate a false sense of accomplishment (look at me beating up on the people that don't know as much as I do -- wow!). Though I don't really condone it, Tony Wagstaffe was right in that sometimes these jokers just need an arse kicking to learn not to make assumptions on or off the mat based on what they 'think' they know -- other than that they need to train more.

2) It does very little to transmit the skills/character of an activity other than the idea that people higher up the chain can abuse you (though, this can also apply to yudansha, fraternities, corporations and boarding school upperclassmen).

3) Unlike in schools with full-resistance randori/sparring, it perpetuates the notion of 'compliant invincibility', ie. you are as tough as I allow you to be, rather than, I'm trying to do this & and you're trying to do that -- this time you got me, but maybe next time I'll get you.

Sometimes, it's just an issue of having a paradigm within your aikido that allows the student (and I'm not talking about jiyuwaza with big, telegraphed train-track attacks) the opportunity to meet the senior on more equal footing. Sometimes, it's the senior just being enough better than the junior that the junior is able to more quickly cross the gap in skill -- which then pushes the senior to improve . . . it has a lot to do in how the transmission of skills are set up.

'Course, I've been in situations outside my dojo where someone 'senior' to me has tried to change up the game (vis a vis strikes and grappling) to preserve their own image of the pecking order -- I'm okay with that, too . . . :D

John A Butz
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I blame the ninja, Budd, they must have taken over my account and then subsequently vanished in a puff of smoke and serious advice. :)

Like your point # 3 btw, thats a real weakness of being a brutal brown belt, and a real reason to quash it. I dare say that points 1 and 2 stem from that false sense of invincibility.

/smoke bomb

/vanish

Budd
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
[inside joke]

John, I know you didn't just throw a Pilates ball at me . . .@#$@!!

[/inside joke]

John A Butz
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
/Stewie Griffon

Victory is mine!!!

/Stewie Griffon

Budd
03-05-2007, 01:53 PM
/Homer Simpson

D'oh!!

/Homer Simpson

Ron Tisdale
03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
oh baby...you are definately ok with that Budd...

Best,
Ron :D

Budd
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Heck, Ron, my head's big enough already!! ;) Just ask John . . . You ain't so bad, yourself, btw, I'm jealous you got to go play this past weekend (and bummed I wasn't able to go play in VA the last couple of weeks) . . .

That's it, I need to clone myself (although, if I remember the Sci-fi show where they did that, it didn't work out too well) . . .

Selnith
03-06-2007, 03:07 AM
you write like you talk, but at least this way, I can follow you.

pfft, i'm easy to understand, and it that supposed to be a dig at me or something?

mut
03-10-2007, 01:36 PM
John, that's way too serious an answer for the 'humor' section. Don't make me show you my bare ego . . . ;)

Why correct the problem? To address mut's questions, well a few reasons:

1) It can generate a false sense of accomplishment (look at me beating up on the people that don't know as much as I do -- wow!). Though I don't really condone it, Tony Wagstaffe was right in that sometimes these jokers just need an arse kicking to learn not to make assumptions on or off the mat based on what they 'think' they know -- other than that they need to train more.

2) It does very little to transmit the skills/character of an activity other than the idea that people higher up the chain can abuse you (though, this can also apply to yudansha, fraternities, corporations and boarding school upperclassmen).

3) Unlike in schools with full-resistance randori/sparring, it perpetuates the notion of 'compliant invincibility', ie. you are as tough as I allow you to be, rather than, I'm trying to do this & and you're trying to do that -- this time you got me, but maybe next time I'll get you.

Sometimes, it's just an issue of having a paradigm within your aikido that allows the student (and I'm not talking about jiyuwaza with big, telegraphed train-track attacks) the opportunity to meet the senior on more equal footing. Sometimes, it's the senior just being enough better than the junior that the junior is able to more quickly cross the gap in skill -- which then pushes the senior to improve . . . it has a lot to do in how the transmission of skills are set up.

'Course, I've been in situations outside my dojo where someone 'senior' to me has tried to change up the game (vis a vis strikes and grappling) to preserve their own image of the pecking order -- I'm okay with that, too . . . :D
please tell me this is still the humour section.........?:rolleyes:

Budd
03-12-2007, 06:20 AM
please tell me this is still the humour section.........?:rolleyes:

'Course it is . . . can't help it if you brought up a topic worth legitimately discussing . . . which, if you don't want to seriously discuss then you shouldn't have asked if people wanted to debate your point.

But, hey, I tried . . . bare ego . . .;) . . . :D

Michael Meister
03-12-2007, 07:33 AM
'Course it is . . . can't help it if you brought up a topic worth legitimately discussing . . . which, if you don't want to seriously discuss then you shouldn't have asked if people wanted to debate your point.

But, hey, I tried . . . bare ego . . .;) . . . :D

Oh, he didn't really want to discuss it. He just wanted to see brown belts on the defense... didn't work though :-D

Budd
03-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Hrm . . . I think the best defense is a good offense.

Selnith
03-12-2007, 12:45 PM
the best defence is to not be there:D

Budd
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
But if you're not there, does it actually happen?

mriehle
03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Would it be better:

1 - If you were there and it didn't happen?

2 - If you were there and it did happen?

3 - If you weren't there and it didn't happen?

4 - If you weren't there and it did happen?

Or does it really, actually matter?

Budd
03-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Hrm, depends?

Though you might have answered your last question yourself . . .

Karen Wolek
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Would it be better:

1 - If you were there and it didn't happen?

2 - If you were there and it did happen?

3 - If you weren't there and it didn't happen?

4 - If you weren't there and it did happen?

Or does it really, actually matter?

My head hurts. :hypno:

mriehle
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
My head hurts. :hypno:

Such is the nature of metaphysical sarcasm. :D :p ;)

Karen Wolek
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Such is the nature of metaphysical sarcasm. :D :p ;)

That.

And all the times I got hit in the head last night in class.....:uch:

mriehle
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
That.

And all the times I got hit in the head last night in class.....:uch:

Brutal Brown Belts? Or vengeful yudansha?

:eek:

Best advice I can give: no get hit.

Budd
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Aye . . . even as a kid when Mr. Miyagi said it -- it seemed like the right idea . . . :D

Karen Wolek
03-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Brutal Brown Belts? Or vengeful yudansha?

:eek:

Best advice I can give: no get hit.

Heh. I'm the brutal brown belt 'round these parts. I got hit by Sensei. I think he pretty much gave me the same advice. I don't know how my face kept ending up where his fist was.... :sorry:

Michael Meister
03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Heh. I'm the brutal brown belt 'round these parts. I got hit by Sensei. I think he pretty much gave me the same advice. I don't know how my face kept ending up where his fist was.... :sorry:

I do feel with you. My Sensai kicked me in the head, while he was taking ukemi for a red belt...

Budd
03-14-2007, 07:55 AM
If you are consistently being hit in the head, then I have a question: Are your hands up or down when this happens?

Michael Meister
03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
If you are consistently being hit in the head, then I have a question: Are your hands up or down when this happens?

I wouldn't say consistently. It's a case of two people being thrown to same place in space (or nearly the same) at the same time... strangely, if such accidents happen, there seems always to be some english involvement...

Karen Wolek
03-14-2007, 12:34 PM

I don't think I said "consistently", if you were indeed addressing me. It was just one of those nights. Luckily, most of the time I get my head out of the way....

mriehle
03-14-2007, 12:42 PM

You sound a bit like one of my students about a year or so ago. Every time I'd make a mistake in a technique, he'd get hit in the face. It didn't have to be a big mistake, either.

Now, it's probably worth noting that he was a brown belt at the time.

And that he is one student who makes a point of trying to mess up my techniques on a regular basis. He keeps me on my toes. It's nice to have one student like that, but I'm glad it's just the one at the moment.

Budd
03-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Definitely just a general comment on my part, since one symptom I've observed of those that keep their hands down is that they're much more likely to atemi their partner's hands with their head/face (assuming someone actually wants to hit you) . . . :P

mut
03-23-2007, 02:44 PM
2mins ago there was over 100 replies and 5 pages on this thread now its down to 3 what is happening:freaky: :ai:

akiy
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12220

-- Jun

mut
03-23-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12220

-- Jun

why arnt all the pages showing on the thread when you go into the humour section.....?

Selnith
03-23-2007, 03:29 PM
so it's not me going crazy(er) or my computer going scitz?

mriehle
03-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Definitely just a general comment on my part, since one symptom I've observed of those that keep their hands down is that they're much more likely to atemi their partner's hands with their head/face (assuming someone actually wants to hit you) . . . :P

I got an object lesson in that this last weekend. I attended a seminar in Fresno and got whacked in the head - hard and intentionally - when I didn't protect myself.

I'd forgotten how tough that teacher is.

mut
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
please put the missing pages of this thread back...thankyou:ai:

akiy
03-23-2007, 04:21 PM
please put the missing pages of this thread back...thankyou:ai:
Once again, as above: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12220

-- Jun

mut
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Once again, as above: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12220

-- Jun

ok thanks....im dumb.....didnt realize the pages had been transfered to open discussions under the heading of mut....thankyou..:) :D :ai:

mut
03-26-2007, 03:32 PM
well we have an easter course on easter weekend( what a good time for an easter course) nd i think we have about 20 brutals who all want there black belt, sensei is likely to pick 4 at the very most, this will be fun, butal brown belt syndrome is about to begin again..........

robert weatherall
03-27-2007, 07:07 AM
And then there are those brown belts who are brutal but aren't that bothered about becoming a black belt yet they are still brutal. Where do they fit in the theory?
Also am I more brutal now than when I was an orange or green belt?

Lee Mulgrew
03-27-2007, 03:23 PM

yeah, now you're just a brutal dan grade evileyes