PDA

View Full Version : I practice.......Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Aiki LV
01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Why do some people add titles in front of their Aikido. People use all sorts of distinctions based upon what lineage they come from or who their teacher is. I see people all the time on this forum and others that have to make the separate distinction to say I train in Shodokan, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Aiki Kai.....(list can go on and on) Aikido. I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction? For those who study aikido on this forum why do you think some people feel the need to add these distinctions? Do you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing to do this?

Ron Tisdale
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I do this fairly often. Aikido is a big tent kind of thing...there are lots of flavors, perspectives, and different traditions. Many of which are quite different from one another, but all still legitimate. I've found it helpfull to others and myself to be clear up front with my background.

Others get less confused when they see me do something someone from their style would NEVER do. I have fewer questions (very rarely fairly rude ones) to answer on the back end.

So I get right to it, and just let them know that the style/school I practice with might be a little different. :) I don't think of it as a good or bad thing. It just is. Some are all hot to change it...personally I like the diversity. It's why I train at more than one place when possible.

Best,
Ron

Gregy
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I believe it is the same phenomena that has happened with religion. Everyone has their own way of interpreting the bible per say. That is why you have different groups worshipping the same ‘God’ with a different interpretation of what is belief.

Same for Aikido. Different ‘styles’ of Aikido have their own interpretation of what Ueshiba thought would have been correct. Or maybe they are just putting their own spin on things for whatever reason.

The only bad thing that can come from it is that is polarizes people practicing the same art. All of a sudden “my Aikido is stronger than yours” and that’s not what it should be about. They may be different paths up the same mountain but the mountain is still the same and everyone should be respected.

Keith R Lee
01-16-2007, 02:01 PM
I see people all the time on this forum and others that have to make the separate distinction to say I train in Shodokan, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Aiki Kai.....(list can go on and on) Aikido. I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction?

...because they are all different?

Each type has different movements, teaching styles, techniques, methodology, focus, etc. People make the distinctions because each style is, y'know, distinct.

Aiki LV
01-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Keith,
Allow me to clarify what I meant be that statement....I was mainly referring to those of us who chose to share that kind of information when it is not necessarily pertinent to the conversation.

...because they are all different? Each type has different movements, teaching styles, techniques, methodology, focus, etc. People make the distinctions because each style is, y'know, distinct.

Just to be an advocate of the devil for a moment because I found your response interesting. If all these different "styles" are so vastly different how can they then be the same thing.

mathewjgano
01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Why do some people add titles in front of their Aikido. People use all sorts of distinctions based upon what lineage they come from or who their teacher is. I see people all the time on this forum and others that have to make the separate distinction to say I train in Shodokan, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Aiki Kai.....(list can go on and on) Aikido. I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction? For those who study aikido on this forum why do you think some people feel the need to add these distinctions? Do you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing to do this?
I'd say it isn't good or bad, in and of itself, but that there certainly are trappings people fall into.
I personally make such distinctions because there are different approaches within the Aikido community and sometimes I want to point that out. Shodokan, for example, is the only system I am aware of which holds competition. If I were making a recomendation to someone looking for that kind of environment, I'd make the distinction. If it didn't pertain to some point at hand, what's the point?
Possibly, one negative implication would be that it divides aikido, diluting it somehow. My original style of Aikido is more ki-society based, if I understand it correctly. I recently studied a brief time at a Shodokan school in Japan, and the two translated quite well into each other. The structure of class was different, but it was very much the same aikido as the dojo I attend here in the states...different approaches to what is very much the same thing. I personally like both methods, but not everyone does and I don't see anything wrong with that. Also, I think different people have different learning styles and preferences, and I think to some degree that distinction necessitates the other.
Take it easy,
Matt

mathewjgano
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Keith,
Allow me to clarify what I meant be that statement....I was mainly referring to those of us who chose to share that kind of information when it is not necessarily pertinent to the conversation..
Oops...sorry...didn't see that.
As for the second part: how can there be so vast a variety of birds, but all with different names and colors and abilities? They're still birds, right?

Qatana
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Just to be an advocate of the devil for a moment because I found your response interesting. If all these different "styles" are so vastly different how can they then be the same thing.

Er, the same way that umpteen styles of religion all callthemselves "Christian"?

Ron Tisdale
01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
The same way that with all the different races of human on this planet there is still only one race...human?

Best,
Ron (this could go on for ever...) :)

Kevin Leavitt
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
or in the same way that Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of...yes...the same thing...ice cream!

We can debate which one taste best, but in the end it is the same basic ingredients with the same amount of calories, and it brings the same smile to your face! :)

James Davis
01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
or in the same way that Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of...yes...the same thing...ice cream!

We can debate which one taste best, but in the end it is the same basic ingredients with the same amount of calories, and it brings the same smile to your face! :)
Hopefully some day the chocolate and vanilla camps will get along better and stop trying to change each other. :p

crbateman
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
...and it brings the same smile to your face! :)
And the same fat to your ass! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-004.gif

SeiserL
01-16-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction? For those who study aikido on this forum why do you think some people feel the need to add these distinctions? Do you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing to do this?
IMHO, it isn't good or bad, just useful to offer additional clarifing information.

mriehle
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Good? Bad?

Mostly indifferent?

I think most people mention their style because they don't want people to be surprised by differences in techniques, ideas or training methods. IME, this can often head off misunderstandings before they happen. Seems like a Good Thing to me.

Some people do it out of habit. Probably indifferent in such a case, IMO.

There are a few who do this with an air of "my style is superior to your style". Take it for what it's worth, I guess, and get on with your training.

DaveS
01-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Maybe yoghurt would be a better analogy - then we could have endless debates about the importance of 'aliveness'.

xuzen
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM

You are absolutely correct. We are a big family, everybody should embrace fraternity and show no distinction. Henceforth everyone who do aikido should just call it YOSHINKAN! OSSU! :D :D :D

Boon.

Joyce Lunas
01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I believe it is the same phenomena that has happened with religion. Everyone has their own way of interpreting the bible per say. That is why you have different groups worshipping the same ‘God' with a different interpretation of what is belief.

Same for Aikido. Different ‘styles' of Aikido have their own interpretation of what Ueshiba thought would have been correct. Or maybe they are just putting their own spin on things for whatever reason.

The only bad thing that can come from it is that is polarizes people practicing the same art. All of a sudden "my Aikido is stronger than yours" and that's not what it should be about. They may be different paths up the same mountain but the mountain is still the same and everyone should be respected.

I'll drink to that!
Cheers, mate, nicely put ;)

or (to be closer to main subject in here)... Kampai!

Keiko!
C u around, maybe
Joyce

Kevin Leavitt
01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Good one David! I get it...aliveness....heh, heh.! :)

Gregy
01-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Kevin, kannst Du Deutsch?

Kevin Leavitt
01-19-2007, 05:25 PM
sehr wenig.