PDA

View Full Version : Becks on the West Coast

Please visit our sponsor:

Mark Freeman
01-11-2007, 11:28 AM
On a lighter note...

David Beckham is leaving europe for a californian soccer club ( LA Galaxy?? ) for a reported 1 million $$ a week!

does anyone out there know about him, do you care?? :D

Ron Tisdale
01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Wow...the franchise player for England is leaving? Didn't know that...

Best,
Ron

Mark Freeman
01-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Best,
Ron

Yup, our loss is Beck's gain :D

Posh is going to have a field day shopping for shoes on his tasty salary :D

cheers

Mark

Michael McCaslin
01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I hadn't heard anything about compensation.

It surprises me that a US team can afford to compete with what the European clubs are offering. I wonder if there is some outside subsidy, as I suspect they may be operating under the belief that a player with his name recognition will boost viewership in the US.

Interesting...

Michael

James Davis
01-12-2007, 11:40 AM

Best,
Ron
I'm pretty sure he played for Spain. Even if he lives here in the states, I'm pretty sure that he has to play for England in the World Cup games.

James Davis
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
I hadn't heard anything about compensation.

It surprises me that a US team can afford to compete with what the European clubs are offering. I wonder if there is some outside subsidy, as I suspect they may be operating under the belief that a player with his name recognition will boost viewership in the US.

Interesting...

Michael
Or boost jersy sales...

Now that he plays in the U.S., more americans will probably buy Beckham's stuff.

Jim ashby
01-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Great! Now YOU'VE got the overpaid mumbling idiot and his stick-insect wife (and their hangers-on).
Maybe we could export the whole game and it's infrastructure and the "fans". That would bring up the average IQ in the UK by a lot as the average football fan has an IQ only marginally greater than the seat he/she sits in to watch these wastes of skin.

And relax!

Mark Freeman
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he played for Spain. Even if he lives here in the states, I'm pretty sure that he has to play for England in the World Cup games.

James, just to bring you up to speed ;)

Beckham is coming to the end of his days with Real Madrid. And his days of playing for the English team are over. The next world cup in 3 years time will be way beyond him. He was past it in the last one.

He will however be a great ambassador for soccer in the US, he has a decent heart, and puts a great deal of time into promoting soccer to kids. And he may still score the occasional spectacular free kick. ;)

regards,

Mark

Mark Freeman
01-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Great! Now YOU'VE got the overpaid mumbling idiot and his stick-insect wife (and their hangers-on).
Maybe we could export the whole game and it's infrastructure and the "fans". That would bring up the average IQ in the UK by a lot as the average football fan has an IQ only marginally greater than the seat he/she sits in to watch these wastes of skin.

And relax!

LOL :D Not a lover of the game then James? :D

Mike Sigman
01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Beckham is coming to the end of his days with Real Madrid. And his days of playing for the English team are over. The next world cup in 3 years time will be way beyond him. He was past it in the last one.Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with Beckham's play in WC2006, although I felt like England was robbed, regardless. Rooney was good, but not tip top (he had some injury prior, IIRC). I think all Beckham needs to do is play a few first "pretty good" games and then more or less be the hoped-for ambassador-that-puts-soccer-in-the-limelight in the US.

The real problem with soccer is that it is too much of a poofter-looking sport when every two-minutes someone falls down in pretend-agony and pounds the ground with their fists, crying copiously and pointing at someone on the other team. When you get used to the massive US football types who break bones (leg a-flop), etc., on the field, the comparison may be too much for Americans to stomach very long. All the histrionics puts me off, for sure. ;)

Mike

Jim ashby
01-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Hi Mark, it could be said that I'm "not a lover of the game". Sometimes I get a bit vitriolic about it but I feel that I held back somewhat in my last post. You should hear what I say when I REALLY get going!