PDA

View Full Version : Question

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Bill Coleman
01-10-2007, 03:15 PM
My son is a Blue Belt in Tae Kwon Do. he has a great intrest in swords but as he is only 10 i did not get him a sword for Christmas but i did get him a Wooden Bokken. Now the problem is trying to find him a single person form of some type for his Bokken. Is it possible to find one. Thanks for any help.

thinking
01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if there is a training device to use with his Bokken?

Kevin Leavitt
01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
an old tire mounted upright will work well. You can cover it with some canvas or an old piece of carpet to protect the bokken a little better.

Ron Tisdale
01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Kevin,

I would never let a 10 year old use a tanren...too much force gets put back into soft tissue and bones that aren't fully formed at that age.

I think the poster is asking for a single person kata like shihogiri, hashugiri, happogiri...you can find some version of those in most aikido dojo. There may be some iaido dojo out there that let's kids train...but I doubt it. If you are thinking of watching a clip on the internet, learning from that yourself and teaching your son, I wouldn't recomend it. Not the best way to learn.

Personally, at that age, it's either formal kendo, or nothing much sword related at all as far as I'm concerned.

Best,
Ron (great, ANOTHER 10 year old running around with a nuggie stick...) ;)

Kevin Leavitt
01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
good point Ron!

James Davis
01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
"Bokken, Art of the Japanese Sword" by Dave Lowry has good stuff. He can learn proper form, grips, and respect for his weapon without necessarily whuppin' up on anything. :)

Might be a little boring for a ten year old, though...

Best of luck to you, Sir. :)

Bill Coleman
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes Ron that is what i was asking. Thank You but no i am not going to turn him loose to run around with it. He wants to learn a KATA and be serious about what he is doing. There are no schools in this area that teach AIKIDO. The school he is attending had AIKI but that teacher left just before we began classes and has not returned. THANK YOU for your reply. :)

raul rodrigo
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM
The best way to learn a kata for a beginner is to do the uketachi role for quite a while with your teacher. In the absence of an actual teacher, its pretty easy to go off the rails. In my own country, there are unaffiliated dojos that don't actually have a connection to Aikikai hombu or an Aikikai yudansha, but have seen some books and videos of ken and jo kata and now teach them to their students. The results are not pretty, believe me. It might be better for a person training solo to do suburi and happo giri for now.

Erick Mead
01-11-2007, 08:09 AM
My son is a Blue Belt in Tae Kwon Do. he has a great intrest in swords but as he is only 10 i did not get him a sword for Christmas but i did get him a Wooden Bokken. Now the problem is trying to find him a single person form of some type for his Bokken. Is it possible to find one. Thanks for any help. I highly recommend suburi training and good happo undo practice until his own movements become simultaneously solid and fluid. It is boring, but ten year-olds (managed two of those so far, and two yet to go) need boredom with nothing else to do, like fledgling birds need nothing else but air under them. They don't like it -- but they need it.

There are about seven basic suburi exercises (plus happo-undo variations, for training centering anf footwork) in Saito's bukiwaza that are available on video from several sources. I have one from one of Saito's uchi deshi, Bernice Tom Sensei (Sunset Cliffs Dojo in San Diego) from a while back. I am sure there are others if you look around. I found them invaluable for solo practice during several of my deployments.

The problem is having someone to observe and correct you who knows what the forms of the cuts are supposed to be, most critically at the beignning and the end, avoiding power in the wrist and in connecting the strike to the motion of the center, rather than the shoulders, all of which are fairly typical beginner problems. I knew and had been shown enough by my teachers back then to be fairly self-critical of my own errors in solo practice, but it is a rare person who can see what they need to see just from a video to correct themselves.

I agree about the developmental problems of having a ten year-old hitting things with any degree of energy. You can disrupt the growing end (epiphysis) of the long bones of the arm with too much repetitive strain at that age

Bill Coleman
01-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the info from everybody. I hope my son has not already damaged his arms. We live on a farm and he has been beating on tires, trees and even an occasional hog while putting them back in their pens with large sticks. He has a Bo Staff and knows a couple of forms for it. Thanks again.

Roman Kremianski
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't bother with a person that age if there's no supervision. There's no point in doing it unless you're going to be serious about it...and learning from a video or book takes the whole fun out of...learning.

Find a dojo dude!

I can't imagine being interested/committed to this stuff when I was ten years old...and I was a 10 year old myself only 7 years ago, so I can still somewhat remember it. ;)

mickeygelum
01-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Happo Giri...is a good solo form for him to start with...as for other types of forms Dave Lowry's book, "Bokken, Art of the Japanese Sword" is great and Phong Thong Dang/Dr Seisers collaboration, "Aikido Weapons Techniques" is excellent,also.

Michael

Alec Corper
01-15-2007, 07:44 AM
If your son is seriously interested please try to find a Shinkendo dojo nearby. Learning from books and videos is virtually impossible and if he has aptitude for working with a shinken in the future it would be a shame to have to unlearn many bad habits. Kendo is a great sport but somewhat different from working with real swords but will provide a good base, particularly if the teacher also practices Iaido alongside.

best of luck, Alec

raul rodrigo
01-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Even in pure suburi training, there is a possibility of forming bad habits. I had been doing suburi for 8 years before a shihan who had trained with Saito came along and said, oh by the way, the blade isn't perfectly perpendicular to the ground; there is a slight angle. (True enough, when you check Saito's Traditional Aikido, his blade is angled a bit diagonally when viewed from the front.) And the bokken we were using were way too heavy to develop the finer motor skills that suburi are supposed to nurture; they were fine for tanren uchi only. Okay, we had to reboot. Fortunately we hadnt done the kumitachi yet, so we didn't have to go too far back to unlearn. But its an object lesson about how easy it is to be misled when it comes to weapons training without hands on guidance.