PDA

View Full Version : Would like to talk

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

thinking
01-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey guys and gals i would like to talk to some of you that are in the aikido world i have many ? and not realy in the the hole fourms thing if you could im me i have MSN Screen name is matthewglenn@msn.com Aim (SN) matthewglenn322 yahoo (SN) matthew_Glenn2001 please im on all the time feel free anytimg to im me i woul dlike to talk to some one for a real convo please only im if you are willing to talk for some time thanks....

thinking
01-08-2007, 04:56 PM
or if you would like post your screennames in here i will contact you. only trying to pick a style but would like to talk to someone please.... :do:

thinking
01-08-2007, 05:24 PM
ok well i would like to know a few thingings with aikido if any one is willig to help. I was wanting to know if there is any kicking and punching in Aikido or is it truly a nonagreive style. also i see info on the Web always talking about using there force against them then i see a demo video of the art. the vidoes look realy good but also look fake. it aperas as thou the one being tosed i think its the uke as its called in aikido looks to be doing it more him self. if any one can please tell if what im seeing its true. it seams to me that the art would not realy help if you where to be attacked. in every demo they are being attacked on a sertin way. what if attacked from the side or from behind is there things to do for that. and if this art is truly a non-agresive forum then you would almost need to take two difrent styles to realy be able to defend your self...

thanks for your time and i hope you all can halp again im not trying to discredit this art.

thinking
01-08-2007, 08:57 PM
ok i guess noone is able to answer them or i guess i sse it the right way as fake.....

Chris Birke
01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
How old are you?

thinking
01-08-2007, 09:04 PM
ok so yeah my typing skills are not good and nor is my spelling. so ok now that that is out of the way. and why dose my age matter to you...

Tinyboy344
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I think you should visit a few dojos, talk to a few instructors, watch a few classes (beginners and advance), participate in a few training sessions (I'd recommend the beginners ones ;) ). Some dojos offer up to one month of free classes. After doing all that, I believe that you will find out if Aikido is right for you and which style/dojo that you wanna be a part of.

Chris Birke
01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Because your tact seems youthful and its curious you're searching for a "style."

thinking
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I think you should visit a few dojos, talk to a few instructors, watch a few classes (beginners and advance), participate in a few training sessions (I'd recommend the beginners ones ;) ). Some dojos offer up to one month of free classes. After doing all that, I believe that you will find out if Aikido is right for you and which style/dojo that you wanna be a part of.

Thank you finaly some not afrade to post something thank you for your words but im am looking at a few schools. they are all Ki around here.

Tinyboy344
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Thank you finaly some not afrade to post something thank you for your words but im am looking at a few schools. they are all Ki around here.

Not a problem. I was just speaking from my own experience. Oh and I dont think people are afraid of posting replies to this thread, somtimes you gotta be patient, not everyone goes to this website 50 times a day.... well...except me and the "YOU MIGHT BE AN AIKIDO ADDICT IF...." guys :)

Trish Greene
01-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Remember Matthew, the only way to truly know is to go and try it out and see if it fits you. Like I said, its not about your strength, but its about using their strength against them. Its about winning the conflict even before the first blow rings down.

thinking
01-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Ok Let me restart this i have disrespected your guys site and for this i am sorry. i have been teased about my spelling all my life. so i take a defense to it at first sing of it going to that. i am only here to truly find answers to things on aikido. thank you to the few pepol that have im'ed me i have answered many of them. i'm here not to find a way to make aikido look fake. i don't want to be made out as a troal or some one here to try to underhand the art of aikido, but to truly looking for all the info i can get from pepol that are in it.

thinking
01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
i hope that helps.....

Chris Birke
01-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I'd second trying things out at the local dojos - every one will be a bit different, and nothing compares to expirencing that stuff first hand.

As for answering "what if's" about fighting, try checking out non aikido dojos too. There are a lot of different aspects of self defense (and offense) and it's good to get some exposure to all of them. Aikido offers some things that no other art offers (good messageboards, for example...), however other arts also have many things to offer.

DonMagee
01-09-2007, 05:35 AM
I think besides the very good suggest you go check out the local schools. I'd say a better way then us tell you what aikido is, why do you tell us what you want from martial arts. Then we can tell you if aikido fits the bill.

justin
01-09-2007, 05:51 AM
i would echo what has already been posted but add, just because something looks easy doesn't mean it is, i have always found the better someone is at aikido through experience hard work ect then the easier they make it look, and a lot of people who uke (the person who is attacking) sometimes goes with the flow a bit for self preservation once you have had someone put a technique on hard and you just stand there you don't tend to do that again in a hurry.

good luck with your future training where ever it may be.

Jill N
01-09-2007, 06:37 AM
There are some excellent Ki Society dojos in Virginia. I would strongly advise you to go and try a bit before you judge.
e ya later
Jill.

James Davis
01-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Ok Let me restart this i have disrespected your guys site and for this i am sorry. i have been teased about my spelling all my life. so i take a defense to it at first sing of it going to that. i am only here to truly find answers to things on aikido. thank you to the few pepol that have im'ed me i have answered many of them. i'm here not to find a way to make aikido look fake. i don't want to be made out as a troal or some one here to try to underhand the art of aikido, but to truly looking for all the info i can get from pepol that are in it.
Regardless of which art you choose to study, I suggest you get started learning something soon! I regret the time I wasted not studying aikido.

Regardless of the art...

Find a training hall, participate in what's going on, and don't give up on it for at least a month before you make a judgement (unless they're abusive).

You'll wonder why you took so long. ;)

odudog
01-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Things in Aikido look fake mainly for several reasons. One is that the techniques hurt but you can't understand that by looking at a video. You have to actually feel how the technique hurts. Second, the uke doesn't want to get hurt so he is throwing himself in order to not get hit or to get rid of the pain. If the uke was to stand there and try to take the full pain of the technique then he/she will not be around long and that is not the goal of practice in the dojo. Go to a dojo and feel the techniques then you will understand what I/we are talking about. It only looks fake until you actually understand how the techniques work.

Aiki LV
01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Aikido does not have to hurt to be effective......you seem to be missing the point entirely

thinking
01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok could you please show us your piont.... mindy

Aiki LV
01-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Not to be snotty or anything, but I don't have to convince you aikido works nor do I have to explain myself. I could talk till I was blue in the face. What it comes down to is either you want to try it or you don't and until you do give it a try you won't understand completely what I or other people are saying. So what is the point of me explaining my position? All I can say is try out different arts and see what suites your needs and intentions. Good luck to you I hope you find what you are looking for..... If you even know at this point exactly what you're looking for.

thinking
01-09-2007, 11:42 AM
ok i can understand that, but if your not willing to explane your point then why waste your time even making a coment in the forums. to me this is a place to come and find info about the art. and i have tryed difrent arts. im not a noob to the MA world. the thing im looking for is that i want a spirtul and truditional MA. i do think that Aikido is the art for this to be found and also as of 11Am today i have already join a dojo and now in classes for aikido. and im 30 so i think i do know what im looking for.... thanks for your time in posting..

Aiki LV
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Glad you found a place. Questioning your motives and intentions was not meant as a slight. Some people don't really know what they are looking for. After reading your most recent post I and everybody else has more information about what you intentions are.

Ron Tisdale
01-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi Mathew,

All of us have trouble spelling at one time or another...the same thing goes for grammar. I suggest you use the check spelling button at the bottom of the page...it will make it a lot easier for us to read your posts, and it will probably give you a better on line image as well. It may even change the nature of how you are taken here. Right now, people are wondering if you are a tween. ;) Not exactly the image you probably want.

A little more time taken in posting can vastly affect the answers you get.

Best,
Ron

thinking
01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Well You know i never saw that be for I'm not used to forums having that button so thanks for pointing that out.

Trish Greene
01-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Matthew

I'm glad you signed up at a Dojo! I think you will be very happy learning this art! By the way, I really enjoyed our chat last night! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Did you konw that Aikiweb has a blog function as well? You can blog about your experience.

Trish

Kevin Leavitt
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Are you studying in Charlottesville? There is a gentleman there that my old karate instructor studies with (or did at least), that does not freely advertise, have a website, or most even know exsist in the area.

I have studied with this man, he was a 3rd Dan with ASU about 5 years ago. Very excellent, and very tactically oriented, yet gentle and very KI oriented at the same time. Wonderful guy to work with.

I could query my friend to get his information for you if you are interested and can get over to C'ville.

How many dojo's are there in Orange anyway??? You must travel to Charlottesville right?

Welcome.

thinking
01-09-2007, 12:36 PM
yes i did see the blog area, and being I'm not good at posting things. i think i will stick to just the Yahoo chatting all my names are up Anyone can feel free to Im me any time.if you are able to talk Trish I'm on so just hit me up i have spent over 1.5 hrs in a dojo.Yes you say well only 1.5 hrs but i just started today. just me and the teacher it was grate truly found a home i think.

thinking
01-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Yes Kevin i do go to Cville and there is no place here in Orange. I would like to know What place your Friend is at.I would like to See the way he dose things. :ki: :do: :ai:

Ryan Sanford
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
A little more time taken in posting can vastly affect the answers you get.

Best,
Ron
Yeah, for sure. People tend to group poor spelling with young age. Nobody would guess that I was only 17, because I spell pretty good, if I don't say so myself. :D

Janet Rosen
01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Its not just the spelling. Its treating it as if it IS a chat room - getting impatient because nobody replied within an hour or two.

thinking
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Thank you for your words of wisdom. all i was trying to say was almost 100 ppl looked at the post. Yet not one person was able to say a thing. this is the point i was trying to get to. I'm sorry if you see it as if i was in a chat room.....

Mark Uttech
01-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Strange thread. If you are already a member of the Blue Ridge Ki-Society, you shouldn't have a problem having discussions with the other members in the dojo.

In gassho

Mark

thinking
01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
that is true but i started it be for i joined the dojo. if you look back i joined the day after i started the post.

xuzen
01-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Matthew-san,

Talking good! Training even better! OSU!

Boon.

thinking
01-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Yes at this time i am doing both now thanks for your post.

Kevin Leavitt
01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
take it easy on the guy!

It looks like he just started aikido and is probably just really enthusiastic about it. Heck I would be!

I am trying to imagine myself as a beginner talking to people in the dojo. It ain't always as easy as you think!

Larry Cuvin
01-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Relax and enjoy your training Matthew.

xuzen
01-11-2007, 12:07 AM
take it easy on the guy!

It looks like he just started aikido and is probably just really enthusiastic about it. Heck I would be!

I am trying to imagine myself as a beginner talking to people in the dojo. It ain't always as easy as you think!

Yes, I have forgotten, I too was once an enthusiastic beginner. Sorry, mate (To Matthew).

Boon.

Michael Douglas
01-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you for your words of wisdom. all i was trying to say was almost 100 ppl looked at the post. Yet not one person was able to say a thing. this is the point i was trying to get to. I'm sorry if you see it as if i was in a chat room.....

"Yet not one person was able to say a thing. "?

More like "not one person wanted to say a thing.".
Scary.