PDA

View Full Version : What is your animal?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

aikidodragon
01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
What is your totem, power, sperit animal? This is the animal that you feel you have a conection with and most represents you or you it. A symple google search will lind you lots of info on your animl. my key words were llama totem, change the animal for you. Please share your animal and info about its symbolic meanings.
here is mine the llama

The Llama

The llama is a member of the camel family. Intelligent and curious the llama shows us how to adapt and preserver in all situations. They have a high thirst
tolerance and incredible endurance. Llamas are used to carry heavy loads traveling 15 to 20 miles per day. Their ability to subsist on a wide variety
of forage has made them as important transport animal. Gregarious animals with a gentle disposition they hold the teachings of true service. If maltreated,
the llama will lie down and spit, hiss, kick and refuse to move. Those with this totem have easy going personalities although if treated unfairly they
can become stubborn and willful.

Llamas were used in sacrificial ceremonies in pre Colombian civilizations. On the first day of every lunar month 100 pure white llamas were driven into
the great square, Huayaca Pata in Cuzco, moved to various images of the Gods and assigned 30 priestly attendants each representing a day of the month.
Sacrificed chunks of flesh were then thrown onto fire and the powdered bones were used for ritual purposes. Symbolically this suggests that those with
this medicine have a tendency to sacrifice their own lifestyle to accommodate another.

Llama medicine people carry the weight of the world upon their shoulders. They are giving caring people that strive to serve others sometimes forgetting
to serve themselves equally. Responsible and hard working those with this totem need to remember to take time to enjoy life and allow others to solve
their own problems. Balanced action and reaction is one of the soul lessons associated with this animal.

Llamas are happier in the company of other llamas and do not like being alone. Those with this totem can feel uncomfortable and sometimes fearful without
close friends or group support. They make friends for life although care in the type of friends they choose is advised.

Female llamas first breed at 18 to 24 months of age. Llamas don't have a heat cycle, but are induced ovulators, thus they can be bred at any time of the
year. Women who hold this totem find that pregnancy can occur at any time. Menstrual cycles are unpredictable and health concerns related to the reproductive
system are common. Proper medical attention will ensure optimum health. Those who do not want unexpected pregnancies should take extra birth control precautions.

To many native tribes the llama has been the source of meat, wool, leather, tallow and fuel in the form of dried dung. When the llama appears to us lessons
involving service, sacrifice, and balance are at hand. They show us how to incorporate patient persistence, equality and inspired action into our life.
Llama
Comforting to others
Llama: The Llama brings in the energies of hard work, responsibility and endurance. It shows perseverance when the going gets tough. The message of the
Llama may be reminding you that it takes effort and hard work to accomplish your dreams.
Llama
Magical Element:
Nickel
Magical Mineral:
Ruby
Magical Herb:
Witch Hazel
Magical Tool:
Cord or Belt
Sacred Tree:
Black Spruce
Constellation:
Sagitta
Magical Archetype:
Mother Teresa

Cady Goldfield
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Uh.... well, I do have a pet turkey named LoverBoy. He's a heritage breed, a Bourbon Red. Gorgeous chestnut plumage with a white stripe on his tailfeathers, and white wing primaries.

He struts around the barn like he owns the joint, and always gets underfoot when I'm working because he is naturally curious and wants to see what I'm up to. Then he puffs his feathers and tail, inflates his snood and wattles, and struts some more, trying to impress me. Sometimes he lets out a mighty kiai that sort of sounds like "GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE." Other times, he makes cute trilling sounds like a (Star Trek) tribble, and sometimes he makes this sharp call that sounds kinda like "POIK!" He usually does that when I give him a treat, like some scratch grain with sunflower seeds.

I'm not sure he's exactly a "spirit" animal, but he does have quite a personality.

Ron Tisdale
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
There is an interesting story about Ueshiba and Shioda Sensei that had a question along the very same lines.

I believe Shioda Sensei's answer was "A Man".

Best,
Ron (looking for the account now...I think I posted it before)

Previous link to a post here:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=115698&highlight=shioda+animal#post115698

Still no direct reference though...

Budd
01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Equal parts wolf and bear here . . .

Janet Rosen
01-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Badger.
Very short, very round, low to the ground and of the earth, wears black and grey; generally inoffensive but will defend itself without backing down.

MM
01-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I'd guess wolf. Being part of a pack changes you.

BC
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Mine is the naked mole rat ;0

Ron Tisdale
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Eww...

B,
R ;)

Cady Goldfield
01-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Not as big an "Ew Factor" as a banana slug. Anyone wanna a banana slug as their spirit helper? :p

Ron Tisdale
01-03-2007, 02:06 PM
EEEEEeeeeewwwwww......

;)

I trying to think of something worse than a banana slug...

Cady Goldfield
01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
VOICE OF BANANA SLUG: Ronnnnn.... I am your sssspppirrrrit helper, Ron. Follow my sllllliiiiimmme trail and I will guide youuuuuuu to enlightenmennnnnt. *GURGLE*

:freaky: :p

Sorry. I'm just on one of those jags... :sorry:

MM
01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
EEEEEeeeeewwwwww......

;)

I trying to think of something worse than a banana slug...

Dung Beetle?

You'd sure get a lot of sh*! over that. LOL!

MM
01-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Um, earthworm?

You'd sure get hooked for life with that. ;)

Cady Goldfield
01-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Don't quit the day job, Mark. :D
Personally, I am all for appointing the priapulid worm as chief totem:
http://classes.seattleu.edu/biology/biol235/hodin/nematodePriapulidGroup/priapulid/basics.htm

:)

SeiserL
01-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Coyote

Ron Tisdale
01-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Ah, the trickster...I'm watching you Lynn...I've got my eyes on you.... ;)

Cady, just when all the soft-bodied inverteprates thought it was safe to come out of the closet...

B,
R

Budd
01-04-2007, 07:53 AM
So, Ron, are you gonna stick with "Man" as your answer or have you succumbed to the banana slug, yet?

:o

Ron Tisdale
01-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Sticking with Man... ;)

It is an interesting question...many traditional societies maintain an attachment to nature through the use of totems. It is a well respected tradition in many ways. But I tend to believe that my struggle in life and in aikido is to become "truly human". To accentuate the best in human nature. I may indeed find an affinity with the elements of nature, or totems, as it were...but I cannot loose sight of the fact that the true struggle is self-discovery, and finding in me the best that is human.

Best,
Ron

Cady Goldfield
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Dunno, Lynn. Last time I was in the Cobb County area, the most frequent "totem" critter I saw was the Smyrna police, patroling their stretch of highway. They had bagged at least 5 drivers for each 5 miles of road. Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner wouldn't stand a chance. :)

Ron, nicely put. The more we struggle, the more we find out about our true selves, neh?

SeiserL
01-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Dunno, Lynn. Last time I was in the Cobb County area, the most frequent "totem" critter I saw was the Smyrna police, patroling their stretch of highway. They had bagged at least 5 drivers for each 5 miles of road. Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner wouldn't stand a chance. :)
Wow, I thought the totem for Cobb County was "road kill".

Just look how many DUI schools are next to the liquor store, next to the collision shop, next to the title pawn.

And for Marietta itself, of course, the totem is the "Big Chicken".

Cady Goldfield
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
lol
True -- roadkill is right up there as a totem. I counted a lot of ex-raccoons on County Services Drive and Windy Hill.

Ohmigosh! The Big Chicken. But, my first impression of Marietta (outside the downtown) was that pawn shops and bail bondsmen seemed to be the most frequent businesses, but now that you mention it, the DUI schools and collision shops are right up there too. Nice town, tho'. And you have a Smith & Hawkin! (gardener's overpriced paradise) :)

BC
01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
My first encounter with a business in Marietta was the Waffle House! :0

Cady Goldfield
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Bob,
Well, Waffle House is about as ubiquitous as the pawnshops and bail bondsmen in Georgia, so you can't miss 'em. :D I actually only ate at two different WHs in Marietta, but there must be more.

Then there's the Cracker Barrel, over by LaQuinta... :)

Neil Mick
01-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Anyone wanna a banana slug as their spirit helper?

As a matter of fact, that's the mascot for the big university here in town...the banana slug.

Cady Goldfield
01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, somebody's gotta love them! :)

roninroshi
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Wolverine or Badger...Depending on my mood that day...

Lee Mulgrew
01-09-2007, 04:07 AM
i've always thought of myself as a giraffe. A sort of long gangly but graceful creature that does not say a lot or interact with the rest of the animal kingdom. having done this search for it as my totem I am now very pleased that I'm a giraffe! This is what I am (and it hits home, very much so!) :
People who have a Giraffe totem often know the future. They can sense what is going to happen, what lies over the horizon.

Giraffe people should be very careful of what they say. Be sure you are not saying too much to the wrong person, or in the reverse, too little. Do not allow other's words to affect you.

Giraffes have their legs firmly planted on the earth but their heads in the sky. This represents balance and the ability to progress.

Giraffe people should never become complacent and lose sight of the future. Life will become increasingly difficult until you set your sights once more on the path ahead.

Giraffes, and their people, have very strong ties to family and friends, especially parent and children.

What can I say? :)

Guilty Spark
01-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Anytime I take an online quiz I get dog or bear.
Mostly dog. Thats not cool.
Dogs live for playing fetch, a game you can't win and bears eat garbage. (and my black lab eats garbage too)

Wish it was something cooler like a tiger :)

xuzen
01-10-2007, 03:07 AM
I want to be a Bear... cuddly yet deadly.

Boon.

Cady Goldfield
01-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Grant, people eat garbage too. We just read the ingredient label first. :D
Not all dogs will fetch. I depends on the breed. Those bred to enhance retrieving instinct are the fetch types. But work dogs, hounds and hunting-coursing breeds will look at you like "go get that @#$! thing yourself."

Guilty Spark
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I think one of my dogs has his wires crossed then,
My black lab is insane about fetch. Once you throw something once you have to play fecth for about 3 and a half days. 5am and you feel a stick or toy drop on your face and theres a 100 pound dog sittting inches away from me wondering why I'm not playing.
My golden retreiver (maybe the name is a misnomer) will run out and "fecth" something bit then sit down and eat it.
Do you guys have any good animal quizzes? I should take another crack at it.

Cady Goldfield
01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Retrievers definitely are supposed to retrieve. If your golden is retrieving but then keeping the "spoils" for himself, that may be more a matter of training. "Hey, I went and fetched the @#$% thing. You didn't tell me that I had to give it to YOU!" The instinct is to go and get, but once that has been accomplished, the dog might need training as to what to do with it. Getting your pooch to deliver the item, then rewarding him with a small treat, may fix the glitch. After a while, you should be able to get him to give you the item with just effusive praise as a reward.

We have a Norwegian elkhound, which is bred to track. This breed can chase a deer or moose for days, tirelessly. Its job was to lead hunters to their prey, either fresh prey or animals that had already benn shot/wounded. But once you arrive at the site, the dog's job is done. We didn't know that in the beginning, so we'd throw a ball to the dog. She would dutifully chase it and bring it back ONCE. If we threw it again, she would take the ball and drop it into the patch of thorny rose bushes, then go lie down. :D OTOH, she is amazing at tracking in canine sport trials. Hide a piece of kielbalsa in high brush or grass 100 yds away at the end of a tracking trail, and she will find it in moments, leaving the other breeds in the dust.

Ron Tisdale
01-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Smart Dog....

Best,
Ron (good girl!)

Cady Goldfield
01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Ya just don't ask a tracking hound to retrieve. It's not in their contract. ;)

mriehle
01-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Mine is the naked mole rat ;0

"Hey, what is that?
That freaky thing?"

"Yes, that's right
it's a nake mole rat!"

If this was not a Kim Possible reference I apologize for my parenthood and my childrens' dedication to super heroes of any animated sort.

mriehle
01-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I had an answer, it was clever and possibly humorous. Then I proofread it and hated it. So it must be wrong.

So, I'm going with Ron's answer. Human.

Lee Mulgrew
01-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Grant, people eat garbage too. We just read the ingredient label first. :D
Not all dogs will fetch. I depends on the breed. Those bred to enhance retrieving instinct are the fetch types. But work dogs, hounds and hunting-coursing breeds will look at you like "go get that @#$! thing yourself."

Well my dog don't! She's a springer spaniel (born gun dogs used to track down and retrieve downed birds/rabbits/whatever apparently). this she does very well, the only problem is she will bound off after whatever is thrown and then come running back up to you and flaunt her 'victory' in front of you! she then plays 'see if you can catch me and take it', she never eats it, never gives it but will carry it as a trophy until she falls asleep exhuasted at which point I steal it back. But at least she's not bothered by fireworks! :D
it seems to be a "if you threw it away, then you obviously did not want it" attitude (which makes sense).