View Full Version : name of knife attacks

Please visit our sponsor:

07-14-2000, 06:52 AM

I`m just looking for the Japanese names of two knife attacks, I try to describe as follows:

You take the knife with the blade beyond your smallest finger in your right hand. Now you rise your hand beneath your left ear or shoulder with the blade pointing in the direction of your partner (I don't want to write opponent because I hope I will never be attacked with a knive). On the way to there, you can try to cut your partners chest from the left lower rib to the right shoulder (from the view of your partner). If this doesn't help, you come back with the knive from your left ear and stuck it in the right side of your partners neck. This is number one.

The other one is if I take the knive in my right hand with the blade over my thumb. Then I start with a circle in gedan level counterclockwise and try to stab my partners side between the hip and the lowest rib. I think, that's the place of the left kidney.

We do not perform these two attacks without knive and everyone refers to these attacks with "this one" or "that one".

Many thanks,


07-14-2000, 12:39 PM
Man... I've never heard of those. It almost sounds more like jujutsu. What organization aikido do you practice in?

When we do tantowaza we usually just relate it to an empty handed attack (yokomenuchi, shomenuchi, mune tsuki, etc).


07-20-2000, 11:17 AM
Hello Nick!

I'm practising in the United Kingdom Aikido Union in the tradition of Master Noquet.

We also relate most of the tanto waza to empty handed attacks (shomen uchi, yokomen uchi and tsuki) but we additionally have "this one" and "that one". It would be nice not only to refer as "this one" and "that one"for this two attacks.

Thanks for everyone who will answer my question.


07-20-2000, 06:05 PM
Hello Simone,

We also practice techniques using similar attacks, except in the first one, instead of cutting from your opponent's lower left rib up to his right shoulder we cut from his left shoulder down to his lower right rib and if you miss you rotate your arm and follow up by cutting his right shoulder down to his lower left rib. It's like carving and "X" over your nage's chest.
The same goes for the sideward slash, if you miss, you rotate your arm and try to cut the other side.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there are Japanese terms for these in particular, we usually refer to them as "slashing" either diagonal or sideward. In our case, its more of a real world simulation of a yokomen-uchi and a yoko-uchi.

Hope this helps.

- Adrian

[Edited by adriangan on July 20, 2000 at 06:30pm]

07-21-2000, 02:53 AM
Err... maybe "this one" is gyaku kiriage, and "that one" is yoko-tsuki/giri or gyaku yoko-tsuki/giri