PDA

View Full Version : Training with injuries

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

fatebass21
12-05-2006, 11:12 PM
How many people train with injuries? What are the injuries? Does your training help even if the injury is noticable during training? I have scoliosis, and am getting ready to start training again.

stelios
12-06-2006, 02:25 AM
I have constant, persistent knee, wrist and back pain. Aikido helps dealing with them, esp the wrist and back. Might not apply to every aikidoka, though. Actually, I am sure it does not.

SeiserL
12-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Kohai,

Glad to hear you are heading back.

We won't even go into the long list of my injuries, conditions, and limitations.

Talk to Sensei about your injuries and possible limitation. He's pretty good about working around them. He's been good about offering me some variations when I appeared to be struggling. Your training partners will also be kind and compassionate about making accommodations for injuries. Hey, we've all been there. some of us just have permanent residency status.

Go slow, warm up, stay relaxed, and focus on form.

Good to see and hear from you again.

Janet Rosen
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Chris, it sounds like you are not asking about "injuries" - which most of us would take to mean new, acute conditions - but rather a longterm issue.
I know that the way scoliosis shapes the body has repercussions on many muscle groups due to altered posture and weight distribution. But if you are, for you, in balance coming into aikido, I don't see any reason not to train. I suggest that you and your instructor view it as an ongoing exploration of alternate movement patterns to suit your body and prevent muscle/soft tissue strain.
best of luck!