PDA

View Full Version : problem: chipped jo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Nick Pagnucco
12-05-2006, 10:55 AM
A chip of wood, maybe hald the size of a finger nail, flaked off the end of my jo yesterday in class.

Am I correct in assuming this is a bad thing, in that there is now a weak point on the jo, and this will lead to more problems? Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage, such as sanding it smooth or some other minor repair?

Thanks in advance

Nick

James Davis
12-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage, such as sanding it smooth or some other minor repair?

Thanks in advance

Nick
That, or get a new jo. When I'm trying to memorize a kata, I don't want to worry about where I slide my hands on my jo.

Just my two cents. :)

Nick Pagnucco
12-05-2006, 11:36 AM
That, or get a new jo. When I'm trying to memorize a kata, I don't want to worry about where I slide my hands on my jo.

Just my two cents. :)

This is/was my first jo, so I don't know: how effective would sanding be at limiting damage?

I'd happily buy a new jo, but for that starving grad student thing :)

Brad Pruitt
12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
You should sand it smooth and seal it, it will be fine.

Nick Pagnucco
12-05-2006, 11:55 AM
thanks

Amir Krause
12-06-2006, 05:29 AM
So long as you do not practice with significant contact, smoothing it and sealing it (probably with some glue or something similar) should do the trick.

But, be careful and never practice wish contact with this stick, it might break in a surprising manner

Amir

Mark Uttech
12-06-2006, 12:21 PM
A good source for an inexpensive quality jo is a hardware store. Barn Broom Handles are 6 ft in length and are usually made of hickory. The cost? Six dollars, more or less.

In gassho

Mark