PDA

View Full Version : Question about quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Mika Perälä
11-14-2006, 06:04 AM
I've run into a quote that goes something like this:

"If a boulder rolls towards you, it would be unwise to try to stop it by countering it's rolling power. Noone would think of trying to fight a rolling boulder. It's much more natural to step aside and let the boulder pass. To do so is easy even if the boulder is a big rock."

I've seen this quotations attributed to O'sensei, but have not been able to find it anywhere, with O'sensei quoted as the source. But I've heard it attributed to Tomita Sensei, who resides in Sweden.

Has anyone here heard it and know the source of it?

crbateman
11-14-2006, 10:22 AM
I have heard the saying many times, but I have no idea who could be credited with originating the quote. I'll try to find out...

djalley
11-14-2006, 05:42 PM
I think we can rule out that it was said by Indiana Jones. He ran away from the boulder. :rolleyes:

ian
11-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Never heard any quote like that from O'sensei, though it is of the same essence of things he'd say, so I'd presume it is actually from a student of his (or just an aikido student!). I prefer the quote (paraphrased) of Ueshiba.

"when someone attacks 9+1 = 10, just as 4+6 =10"

Stefan Stenudd
11-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I've heard the same thing, but with a train instead of a boulder, and that you should simply get off its track. It is supposed to be something Osensei said, but I can't say that I'm sure of it.
Anyway: it makes sense :)