PDA

View Full Version : doubt and faith

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

chris w
11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
i just read the john bluming interview and had a realization about my own practice. i am 35 years old, have been practicing for a little over 3 years and understand that i have completed only the first few baby steps on my road to understanding aikido. i have been in a few scraps in my life and i dont remember much about them except that i wouldnt hurt until the next day. ever since i first saw aikido, i always thought to myself "that would never work in a real fight" i mean really, who grabs wrists, or comes overhead with an open hand if they really want to hurt you? however, this thought didnt consume me because i have no interest in fighting, that is not why i study aikido. i chose to study aikido because i have always been fascinated with martial arts and was very intrigued by the overall philosophy of aikido. when i first went to a dojo to check it out, the sensei was so graceful and the movements were so beautiful, i was hooked. anyway, after reading the interview of mr. bluming i realized that my practice is based on faith, faith that i will someday understand budo without having to punch a wooden board thousands of times. i wont need to rely on having an iron fist if i am faced with agression, i will blend and i will survive.

mrfeldmeyer
11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Well said,

I have used aikido off the mat a couple of times. Mostly just some idiot who hears that I study, and they want to see what I can do. Usually the attacks received in those cases are purely a joke and no threat exists to perform a technique on, so I just kind of wait for the attacker to stop. Once or twice a real attack has headed my way and I have used a bit of aikido and a bit of instinct to address the situation and it worked out to no one getting hurt.

So, as most have, I have doubted that Aikido could be used in a real situation. Though, through practice I have learned how to address a threat much more calmly and not try to cause injury to my attacker to make them stop (before aikido I was a boxer, and that was my only way of addressing a threat). This was one of my many intentions for beginning to practice aikido and I have faith that it has begun.

Also, none of the aikidoka I have spoken with ever had intention of becoming the "champion" fighter that Bluming kept referring too.

Roman Kremianski
11-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I used to be confused about confidence and over-confidence. If you merely think you can win, then isn't that already over-confidence? But I learned that with real confidence there is always atleast some presence doubt...which keeps it from turning into over-confidence.

I have faith in Aikido...I quickly learned that performing a technique in the dojo is not going to look like the real thing. It merely teaches the footwork, body movement, and positioning. I believe Aikido is mostly YOU...so if you don't personally believe you can successfully redirect aggression, then odds are you won't be able to.

To me, Budo is protection. I continue doing Aikido to learn how to protect people close to me as well as myself. It allows me to go through daily life without looking up to others and being jealous of them. :D

SeiserL
11-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Compliments.

IMHO, an open mind accepts and faces doubts so that faith without evidence becomes a solid belief.

pezalinski
11-22-2006, 01:38 PM
The classic Sempai-to-kohai response to the doubt/faith question is, "MY aikido works." ;)

On a related note, I have been paying attention to my elders, lately (often a good source of wisdom as well as confusion), and have been hearing the same message from multiple sources:

Aikido is not a system of techniques, the system of techniques is what you use to learn Aikido. Aikido is "beyond the techniques."

And this is coming from 7th and 8th Dan's...

That puts a whole new spin on the faith/doubt issue.

Mark Freeman
11-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Compliments.

IMHO, an open mind accepts and faces doubts so that faith without evidence becomes a solid belief.

Hi Lynn,

Maybe I'm not understanding properly (probably), I like the idea of an open mind, but I'm confused about the benefits of 'faith without evidence' especially when it leads to 'solid belief'. :crazy:

could you elucidate to help me out?

regards,

Mark

SeiserL
11-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm confused about the benefits of 'faith without evidence' especially when it leads to 'solid belief'.
Sorry, after rereading it, it does sound confusing.

IMHO, faith is believing in something without much evidence that it exists.

I much prefer the open inquisitive mind that doubts until there is enough evidence to turn that faith into a very solid belief.

Faith to me is usually very fragile. Belief is much more solid.

Does that muddy the waters any better?

Mark Freeman
11-23-2006, 06:23 PM
IMHO, faith is believing in something without much evidence that it exists. Agreed, my problem with faith though, is when it is based on absolutely NO evidence at all, it is something to be concerned about! Human beings seem uniquely constructed to be able to do this. :( I much prefer the open inquisitive mind that doubts until there is enough evidence to turn that faith into a very solid belief.Me tooFaith to me is usually very fragile. Belief is much more solid.
I'm not so sure about that one. I see people of unbelievable faith doing some pretty wierd stuff out there. Their faith seems to be pretty solid to me. Belief can be based on what people are told, what they read and what they actually experience directly in their lives amongst other things. It may be easier to manipulate belief than to decrease or increase faith.
Does that muddy the waters any better?Yes, thanks, and I'm sure that I have stirred it up enough to make it even clearer ;)

regards,

Mark