PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Liverpool

Please visit our sponsor:

mersey01
10-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi
I'm Rob from Liverpool, UK.
I have been training for 9 years and have just returned to the dojo after a 3 year break.
Found this forum while doing some research into other Aikido dojo round my area and I am glad to have found it as it seems like a great discussion area and I could learn a lot from it :) .

Rob

markwalsh
10-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Welcome Rob.
You find Ezra Shihan acros the Mersey yet?

mersey01
10-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi
I have found Ezra Sensei's website but have not attended the dojo as of yet.
It does appeal to me as it is a full-time dojo whereas now I can only train 1 day a week.
If I were to attend Ezra Sensei's Dojo then I would only be interested in the physical side of training as I have heard that he does a lot of spiritual as well.
Have you been to Ezra Sensei's dojo?

Our dojo's website is www.aiki-shin.com (http://www.aiki-shin.com)

Rob

akiy
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

markwalsh
10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I´ve only spent a week with Ezra Shihan but as I remember he teaches traditional Aikikai aikido, with an advanced subtle edge, that's there if you want to explore it. He studied extensivley with both Chiba Shihan and Kanetsuka Shihan and IMHO has some of the most advanced aikido around, and I've been most places. The chanting and meditation is optional and in separate classes, don't stress.

If you go there - treat him with the respect he deserves, open your mind and follow the etiquette of other students.

btw - Book available - "Iron Balls and Elbow Power" - Nick Waites - Google

Pauliina Lievonen
10-30-2006, 03:18 PM
I try to visit Ezra sensei's dojo every year, plus he comes over here regularly to give seminars. Don't worry, you'll get to work hard at his dojo. As Mark said, there are meditation and chanting classes but those are optional and not everybody attends those.

They're strict with etiquette but in a nice way. It gives the dojo a nice organised feel. Just watch what the other students are doing.

kvaak
Pauliina

mersey01
10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi all
Thanx to everyone whos posted and I think I will go along to Shihan Ezra's dojo. In fact I have just emailed him to say that I will be coming along.
Will let you all know if I intend to attend regularly.

Rob

mersey01
10-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi
I went along today and I enjoyed the lesson. Was taught different from what I'm used to but I will be going back next week.

Never got to meet Shihan Ezra as he was away in the US, I hope to meet him on my next lesson.

I went after the medidation class thereby not having to do it as you mentioned Mark.

As I said I will have to get used to their style of teaching but I didn't like having to sit when the sensei was demonstrating a technique (to uke and nage, not the class) as I like having the freedom to move around to see what is being done and where the hands are.

Rob