PDA

View Full Version : Its really just a series of epiphanies

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Steve Mullen
10-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Does anyone get that thing where something they have been puzzling over, technique wise, the one thing that you couldn't do right all night and no matter how hard you look at it and think about it nothing seems to work, it all suddenly clicks in your head when you are on your way home after training. I had one on the way home today that had been puzzling me for a few weeks?!?! CRAZY!

Please tell me im not alone :sorry:

Nick Simpson
10-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Pray tell what the epiphany/problem was?

Steve Mullen
10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
it was really just to do with my seeming inability to avoid getting clocked with the bokken before my grading, and how it seems sometimes like im moving backwards. It wasn't so much on the bus as waiting for it. when i stand i naturally put my weight mostly on my back leg which means moving forwards has to start with shifting all my weight and centre forward more than usuall.

This makes me move slower and thus get clipped, i think!

Nick Simpson
10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Dude, did we not tell you that a couple of weeks ago?

DaveS
10-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Dude, did we not tell you that a couple of weeks ago?I quite regularly have minor epiphanies, either from thinking about something, trying it out or having someone tell me something. One thing that is almost constant is that if I tell my sensei he points out that he's been telling me the same thing on a weekly basis for about as long as I've been training...

Nick Simpson
10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
True, theres a big differance between someone telling you something and you just blindly accepting/following it and working something out for yourself (or an epiphany, if you prefer Steve ;) ). I need to work on having one with regards to my favourite shihonage variation...

Steve Mullen
10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
you probably have been, but its finally made sense in my head now. hey i never claimed to be smart

Nick Simpson
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
but its finally made sense in my head now

Yeah, as David just reminded me, thats the important part :)

raul rodrigo
10-26-2006, 06:57 PM
At least it occurred on a conscious level for you. Have you ever had a huge jump in your ability to do one technique, but you can't figure out what you're doing differently? I have. The epiphany in this case seems to have occurred on a subconscious level. Its even weirder when that happens.

SeiserL
10-27-2006, 07:30 AM
it all suddenly clicks in your head when you are on your way home after training.

Click
Click
Click

Keep training and it keeps clicking.

odudog
10-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Having an epiphany is great, now getting that epiphany to work on a consistent basis is the problem.

Lan Powers
10-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I live for that "AHA!" moment.
Lan