PDA

View Full Version : Fun Pondering Question

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

cserrit
10-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Heah All,

I was asked this question by a student of mine the other week. Sent out the post to some people and got some very interesting responses.

So... I thought I would post here and see what type of responses I would get from this community...

If a Caucasian person was born in South Africa to parents who are citizens of South Africa; and that person moved to the US and became a US citizen, would that person be considered to be an African-American?

I look forward to reading your observations :)

-Christy

paulb
10-25-2006, 09:25 PM
No, african American refers to people whose homeland is Africa, namely Black people. next.

Taliesin
10-26-2006, 09:22 AM
The African American thing often amuses me. I am aware it is used because peoples ancestors came from Africa. This amuses me that is where the human race evolved - Everyone's ancestors came from Africa.

But to answer your question - I very much doubt he would considered as African American - although he could reasonably describe himself as such.

As I understand it the term is used to describe Black American citizens (even those whose ancestors have lived in the USA for several generations)

Ron Tisdale
10-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Why does it matter?

Best,
Ron (this has the potential to go down hill quickly...here's hoping it doesn't happen)

James Davis
10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Why does it matter?

Best,
Ron (this has the potential to go down hill quickly...here's hoping it doesn't happen)
Agreed. Rather that strapping myself in for this bumpy ride, I'm gettin' outta the car. Seeya. :)

RoyK
10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
My mom was born in Morocco (North africa), and when I was studying in the states, I often said "I'm an immigrant Jewish african-american" just to fit in with any repressed crowd I might run into :)

Would you consider someone originating from a place like Morocco (where they're not neccesarily dark skinned) as an African-American?

Ron Tisdale
10-26-2006, 12:46 PM
It's all labels. Pick the one that makes you happy. Then get on with life.

Best,
Ron

cserrit
10-26-2006, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=Would you consider someone originating from a place like Morocco (where they're not neccesarily dark skinned) as an African-American?[/QUOTE]

That was a question that was brought up as well. For good or bad, I think that the media has placed labels on all of us at one point or another that has stuck.

Thanks for all the reponses. I enjoy reading them.

I posed this question to my high school senior Civics class and got a wide variety of answers as well
:)

-Christy

hapkidoike
10-26-2006, 10:41 PM
All i know is that my friend Andy is a cracker from South Africa, but he might just punch you in the jaw if you tried to tell him he wasnt African.
Anyway, wouldnt this White African have to renounce his South African citizenship to become a citizen of the U.S.A. I think that the U.S. makes people do that but I cant remember. If that is teh case then he would meerly be a White American, who was at one time an African. But if he was somehow maintained his citizneship then of course, for nationality speaks of nation states, right? I am not a German-Slavic-Nordic American am I? Both of my folks are from the U.S. I was born a citizen. The way I see it if your mom is from Queens and your Dad is from Seattle you are simply an American. Color has nothing to do with nationality.

RampantWolf
10-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Reminds me of some movie I was watching where, I think it was Queen Latifah, was on Springer trying to get Blacktino, Hispasian and Japanegro recognised as labels for people of mixed ethnicity. :)

My mum is from Austria, her father was from Russia... me I'm 100% Australian and I just happen to be living in Ireland.

Luc X Saroufim
10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
If a Caucasian person was born in South Africa to parents who are citizens of South Africa; and that person moved to the US and became a US citizen, would that person be considered to be an African-American?

yes. it's not really a trick question, it just shows the inherent flaw of political correctness.

i love seeing the look on the interviewer's face after i check the "Middle Eastern" box. my whole family is olive skinned, i guess i was born in a bucket of bleach.

there are plenty of white Africans.

po_courcelles
11-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I agree with you Luc, Charlize Theron is a beautiful exemple :hypno: :drool: :crazy: :)

Made me think of another version of that dillemma...

If an english speaking canadian couple give birth to a child in France and come back to Canada....It would really be akward that this kid calls himself "french-canadian" although he is in theory... hmmm messed up :hypno:

Guess that there is always a difference between theory and practical application...In theory that white guy is an African-America, but if I were him i wouldn't call myself that way....especially in Harlem lol :D

po_courcelles
11-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Another detail hit my mind...

"African-American" generally refers to black american people.

However, a black person isn't a priori African.

What about Haitians and Jama´cans?

Do they call themselves "african"-americans?

Talking about political correctness....My father was yelled at by an customs officer because he said "that black man over there" instead of "the african-american" when asked who checked is luggage at the customs desk in an airport... Guess the word "black" is considered a four letter word now...

US Border Officers are so kind and welcoming to french-canadians it's wonderful... :rolleyes: But this is another debate ;)